Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » 2016 Subaru WRX - TorquePro + Kiwi3 (Android)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Subaru WRX - TorquePro + Kiwi3 (Android)
greg86z28
Post 2016 Subaru WRX - TorquePro + Kiwi3 (Android)
on: December 20, 2017 (GMT)

I’m having some trouble connecting to my new to me WRX. I’ve used this combo successfully on my 1999 Chevrolet K2500 as well as the 1999 Subaru Legacy I used to own, so I feel somewhat confident that it should work.

I am able to connect via bluetooth to the OBD, but am unable to make a connection to the ECU (using the thorough protocol scan).

At this point, I’m a little uncertain of how to troubleshoot. Is there a guide I can follow to start to troubleshoot/pinpoint what my issue might be?

Thank you,

Greg

EDIT: I’m using my wife’s old HTC One which I updated to the newest available software. My TorquePro is up to date and my Kiwi3 has the newest firmware.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: 2016 Subaru WRX - TorquePro + Kiwi3 (Android)
on: December 23, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

The best place to go is the ‘Adapter Status’ screen, as this will show you what the adapter is doing when trying to connect to the ECU

Make sure you use a ‘default’ vehicle profile if having issues – connecting should always work with the defaults for OBD2 compliant vehicles

If the app connects to the adapter ok, but the adapter can’t see the vehicle then you’ll need to verify that the vehicle ECU can be seen by the adapter (Ignition needs to be on, engine usually doesn’t need to be running) – if it supports OBD2 then it should definitely work

greg86z28
on: December 27, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks for the help.

I just tried deleting all my vehicle profiles.

With the car off, I am able to make a bluetooth connection to my Kiwi device. When I turn the ignition on, TorquePro begins to do the automatic protocol search. After a period of time, the app will ask me if the ignition is on (yes it is). I’ve given it a long period of time to connect as well (I’ve driven around for 20 minutes).

What would be the next step in the troubleshooting process? I’m fairly certain the Kiwi device is OK since it works on a different vehicle.

Thank you!

here’s a picture of the status screen:

Capp777

Until Ian responds… assuming your vehicle
is fully OBDII compliant, what specific protocol
does your 2016 use. (CAN?). It is likely not the
same as your 1999 vehicles.

Once you know your correct protocol you
could then set it specifically in a vehicle
profile.

greg86z28

My vehicle is a 2016 Subaru WRX. I couldn’t find the protocol via google. There isn’t some sort of website database is there?

Thanks!

Capp777

CAN 11 bit 500k baud? 2010+?

Not sure if this is correct though. (from a search
description).

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660385

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 28, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

If the adapter can’t find the vehicle profile, then it’s going to be one of the following:

* The vehicle does not support proper OBD2 (This is highly, highly unlikely given that every manufacturer supports OBD2 nowdays). The only caveat is if the vehicle is a JDM import where the legislation (is/was) slightly different, but in most cases should still ‘just work’

* That there’s a problem with the adapter on the protocol the vehicle uses causing it to not see the vehicle ECU – this is usually unlikely for things like the scantool and kiwi adapters given their better testing after being built at the factory

* A possible problem with the connector (damage, bent pins, etc) which could be the issue – worth having a visual inspection of the socket in the vehicle itself (and checking the adapter is seated correctly when connected)

* The ECU diagnostic harness is damaged in someway to make it non-functional, or the ECU itself is damaged – this is usually never going to happen so probably isn’t worth worrying about unless the ECU/harness has been in bits at some stage

It’s usually one of the top 2 that’s the culprit – the vehicle /should/ be using some variant of CANBUS given all the manufacturers moved to it around 2007, though with the adapter set to ‘Automatic – Fast’ in the vehicle profile, it should locate the correct protocol itself without any prodding from the app

greg86z28
on: December 28, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks piemmm

I also tried a different app (OBD Auto Doctor) without success. I’m starting to think it’s either my physical connection, OBD harness or the Kiwi device itself that is the issue.

1. The vehicle is OBDII compliant. The vehicle is a JDM brand, was built in Japan for the US market and sold in the US. I think this shouldn’t be an issue.

2. Not sure. I’ve asked Kiwi if there would be any potential issues using their device on my vehicle. Still awaiting a response. Part of me thinks this is the issue.

3 and 4. I will look at the socket a little more closely. I know the pins on the adapter look OK. I know it’s seating properly.

Would stopping into the Subaru dealer and having them plug in their scanner help in any way? Could that eliminate any potential issues in regards 3 or 4? I would think that if there was a physical issue with the OBD port or harness the dealer would not be able to connect either?

Thanks!

Hal
on: January 2, 2018 (GMT)

I was having a communication problem with my 2015 Subaru Outback. Someone on a Subaru forum suggested that I change the comm protocol from “auto” to “ISO 15765-4 CAN, 11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud”. I did that and it cleared up the comm problem.

greg86z28
on: January 3, 2018 (GMT)

I did try ISO 15765-4 CAN, 11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud.

I need to stop over to the dealer and see if my port itself is working OK. If that’s OK, then I’m putting my money on the Kiwi device being the issue.

greg86z28
on: January 24, 2018 (GMT)

Hi all,

Back again. I took my car to the Subaru dealer just to have them hook the scanner up. All is well with the OBD port on the car itself.

I had a bunch of back and forth with the Kiwi3 folks. They ended up saying this:

Looks to be some type of CAN / ISO protocol. But pin 8 being occupied changes things up. With standard OBD2 protocols you hardly see pin 8 being occupied. This maybe something specific to your Subaru model and may cause an issue with the ELM chipset for connecting to the OBD2 protocol command and the apps that identify with it.

Does this mean the issue lies with the Kiwi itself?

cintakc
on: January 24, 2018 (GMT)

try this application, if it works, you can connect to your car using Torque
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.activeobd.app&hl=ru

try also in the terminal ElmBasic to issue such commands:
atz
atsp6
atsh7e0
aa

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.042 seconds.

Follow me on twitter