Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » MULTIPLE Connection Problems

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MULTIPLE Connection Problems
Mike321
Post MULTIPLE Connection Problems
on: December 5, 2017 (GMT)

Dear Team,

I am using an Amazon Fire HD tablet, an ELM 327 reader and Torque Pro to connect to a 1999.5 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. I don’t have any problems when using just the ELM connected. However, I would also like to include GPS information and also access a local WiFi hotspot that does not have internet connectivity.

Everything individually works, but it doesn’t work together. Is there any settings I can try in Torque to make all of the connections work repeatedly at the same time?

Connection Issue 1:
After adding the Garmin Glo Bluetooth connection, it works at first; however, subsequent attempt to connect Torque Pro fails. I must go into the device settings and forget my Garmin Bluetooth connection and only them will it connect to the Truck’s ECU (it does show that it is connected though, just can’t communicate with the ECU). After forgetting the Glo Bluetooth connection, the app connects to the ECU just fine.

I do not necessarily need the GPS data to work with Torque Pro, but I would like to use if for a different mapping application.

Connection Issue 2:
I have a wifi hotspot in my truck that I use to connect to devices that I can control from my phone. When I startup Torque Pro and add the wifi connection, everything works great together. That is until you turn off the truck and try starting the truck again. It turns over, but fails to start. Ending the app isn’t enough, you must also remove the ELM for the truck to work normal.

Any info is appreciated. I listed the specific devices I am trying to use below.

Thanks,
Mike

Device Details
1) Garmin Glo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYAZENY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2) ELM 327 Bluetooth 2.1 Reader:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYAZENY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3) Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J94SWWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1999 Ford 7.3

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: MULTIPLE Connection Problems

Hi!

It sounds like you are battling with two seperate issues:

A* The Android tablet you are using does not function correctly with multiple concurrent bluetooth connections

B1* You may have the bugged Ford F1/250 ECU (these were built around 2000) where a fault in the ECU causes it to reboot, resulting in a running engine shutting down for the duration of that ECU reboot

or

B2* There is some fault with the adapter causing the engine not to start (though this would normally be linked to the bugged ECU mentioned above)

You’ll need to try ‘A’ with a different, recent, android device (preferably by a different manufacturer) and see if the problem persists – I’ve seen some devices not function properly when multiple bluetooth connections are used, and it looks like this tablet may be one such device(though this is an old bug, it could be a regression in the amazon device). The only other devices I know of with issues similar to this are every samsung android device (including note 8 and s8) which has severe issues talking on WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time when connection reqests are being made on Bluetooth

For ‘B’, you will need to find out if you have one of the bugged ECU’s – as in normal OBD2, nothing should affect the running of the engine (it’s merely requesting sensor readings from the ECU).

Mike321
Post Re: MULTIPLE Connection Problems

Thanks for the reply.

If I connect the ELM, Garmin Glo via Bluetooth AND connect to my local wifi, my truck is fine and Google Maps works as expected offline and my local apps to control devices over wifi work as well (these are not complicated, they are Arduino-based).

But Torque Pro works great until the truck turns off?

Google maps still works… (Yes, I when to the top of a hill to test).

When everything is up and running, Torque Pro works great. If I have to restart my truck…this is where I run into issues.

I did it on the top of a hill and Google Maps can still seem movement, even when the truck can’t start and Torque gets locked-up.

Thanks,
Mike

1999 Ford 7.3

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.

Follow me on twitter