Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Dodge Neon transmission temp

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dodge Neon transmission temp
Dan
Post Dodge Neon transmission temp
on: July 15, 2011 (GMT)

None of the gauges are working for me. What can I do to help test this and get it working for my application?

One of the big reasons why I bought this app was to see the temps before ,and after, I install an aftermarket trans cooler to replace the one that goes thru the radiator. (the radiator cracks internally and mixes the fluids. I’d like to try and prevent that from happening, again.)

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Dodge Neon transmission temp
on: July 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Transmission temperature can be read if the ECU supports reading it in the standard OBD2 locations, for some Dodge ECUs they didn’t do this, which means that the default transmission temperatures are in different locations.

If you find the extended (manufacturer specific) PIDs for this (should look something like ‘221AFF’ (etc) then you will be able to add the sensor.

It’s been a while since I last did a concerted effort to find the transmission PID for Dodge, so I will have another go in the next couple of days for you

Ian

Dan
on: July 17, 2011 (GMT)

this looks like it might have some info?

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f325/obd2-pid-transmission-temperature-249179/index2.html

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136109

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 18, 2011 (GMT)

Okay, I’ve obviously not been typing the right things into google!

Looks like the lxforums link you have posted has a PID that might work, interestingly that also gets a response for my mercedes-built smart diesel engine for that PID so I will be able to experiment a little and see what I can come up with! Well done and thankyou :)

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 18, 2011 (GMT)

Just to add to this

PID: 2130

Equation: this is something that needs to be worked out still. it could be something like:

L-40
or
J-40
or
N-40

Units (probably C if the above equation works)

And from that forum post, it may read engine coolant temp not trans temp whilst not driving (which is good as you should be able to work out the equation if that is the case, with a little math)

If someone could try this in a neon and use the send debugging information option in the realtime information screen (after the PID has been visible for a few seconds) then I could probably progress this a lot more!! :)

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 20, 2011 (GMT)

I also think this might work for Chrysler/Jeep on a more generic basis now I know where the PID blocks are.

I have access to a neon (not sure of engine type) so this should help me get things working for some release soon

Dan
on: July 20, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from admin on July 20, 2011
I also think this might work for Chrysler/Jeep on a more generic basis now I know where the PID blocks are.

I have access to a neon (not sure of engine type) so this should help me get things working for some release soon

Hey, I can also set up a laptop so you can remote desktop into it to take a look at my Neon as well if you want another car to play with. Don’t know if this helps any. If you think this could help any just shoot me an email with any software you’d need/like installed if you want to give this a run.

I connect to my car(s) using the ELMSCAN Bluetooth module that you recommend.

As for your info above about testing PIDs how do I set up the PID in torque so I can send you the log info?

Dan
on: July 21, 2011 (GMT)

finally got around to trying it in my neon. PID 2130 didn’t come back with anything. comes back with no response for equation. when i test the PID.

MODE/PID: 2130
long: TFT
short: TFT
min: 0.0
max: 100.0
scale: 1x
Unit: C
Equation: N-40
header: auto

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 22, 2011 (GMT)

Okay, I’ve learned of a second PID that may be used as well, 2103 for some chryslers, but don’t know the position yet for the transmission temperature byte in that block yet (it may however be the same ‘L-40’ equation)

Could you add the 2103 and 2130 PIDs and displays, let the app connect for a few moments (even if it doesn’t show anyting on the two displays initially, then press menu->more…->send debugging info (write something like ‘chrysler’ so I know what its’ about) then press the send button

That’ll send me what’s going on with the responses for both those PIDs and hopefully will be able to glean some more information from them (the debugs will be very helpful getting closer to adding support)

Thanks

Ian

Dan
on: July 22, 2011 (GMT)

uploaded a debug log.

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 23, 2011 (GMT)

Got it, thanks!

Had a quick look, learned some bits from it that were useful, could you do the following:

* Edit both the PIDs in the PID editor, and change the ‘OBD header’ from ‘Auto’ to blank/empty so there’s no text in there – at the moment the header may be causing issues so if we leave it blank we should get a little more information out of the ECU

* Make sure those are currently (for our tests) the only PIDs in the PID editor

* With the 2103 / 2130 displays on your screen, also add the engine coolant temperature display, then restart the app

* Let the app reconnect, and try to pull data for a few moments, then send another debug.

We’re getting closer to getting this sorted – as soon as I get the debug (if the 2103/2130’s have responded without the OBD header being set) then I should be able to get something into the next update with a bit of luck

Dan

Done and uploaded a new debug.

piemmm
Administrator

Got again, thanks, nearly there!

Can you add a PID with the following information, then also add it as a display:

Name: Temp Test
ShortName: TempTest
PID: 0105
Equation: A-40
Max: 100
Min: 0
OBD Header: 6C18F1 <– this one’s important! it could also be 6818F1 if you could try both that would be great!!!

Also, if you are able, set the OBD header to 6C18F1 as well for ‘2130’ and ‘2103’, then do the same as before when sending a debug. Don’t forget to quit and restart the app after setting up the display! :)

That should hopefully give me the last piece of the puzzle (I hope) when you send the debug!

Thank you

Ian

Dan

Alright, I just left town for a bit. I’ll get you the info late tomorrow night or Monday afternoon EST.

Dan
on: July 27, 2011 (GMT)

hey, I haven’t had time to do the data logging yet but in a quick trip in the car earlier I threw in the PID (0105) and I got a returned value. I tried throwing the headers in the PID (0105) when creating/testing it but than it would stop getting a result when hitting test.

Name: Temp Test
ShortName: TempTest
PID: 0105
Equation: A-40
Max: 100
Min: 0
OBD Header: [blank]

I had the car warmed up and running for about a good 10 minutes going down the highway and the temp was hovering around 90*c (194*F)

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 27, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Dan!

You’ve got a value as you’re using the normal engine temperature PID (and thats the value being returned).

The header is required to send the request to the transmission ECU (to which is should be replying if we have the correct header)

You have 2 ecu’s in your vehicle:
486B104100BE3EB811FA {– engine
+486B18410080108000C0 {– transmission

It’s not replying mainly as it doesn’t support the 0105 PID (afer decoding the 0100 request) so that’s unfortunately not going to help us.

However the 2103 and 2130 may well work with the headers. Could you:

Edit the 2103 and 2130 PIDs, and try the OBD headers 6C18F1 and 6818F1 for both and send debugs

Sorry this is taking so long, unfortunately debugging/finding support like this takes a lot of time and testing :-S

Regards,

Ian

Dan
on: August 1, 2011 (GMT)

Hey, I sent some data not too long ago. Just wondered if you got them and what your thoughts are.

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 1, 2011 (GMT)

Hi yes got the data thanks, unfortunately I got sidetracked (getting married this weekend so temporarily my priorities are shifting :-))

From what I can see, the neon TCM still didn’t respond to the 2103 or 2130 PIDs with those headers… It’s a little perplexing as it should do. ‘c218f1’ may work as a header (just off the top of my head), but I now need to have a look at this my side and see why the TCM isn’t responding to requests for those PIDs (it may well be a header issue or it may need ‘enabling’ with some kind of test mode request)

Dan
on: August 2, 2011 (GMT)

Congratulations on the wedding! Understandable if you can’t get back asap.

Also my offer to setup a laptop connected to the scantool.net adapter in the car for you to remote into is still on the table if you think that would help any.

I’ll try that other header and upload a data log when I get a chance!

Thanks and have fun @ your wedding!

Dan
on: August 5, 2011 (GMT)

Uploaded data. Hope this helps! Thanks for helping with this.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.

Follow me on twitter