Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Is this because of the Torque or OBD II device?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this because of the Torque or OBD II device?
sa
Post Is this because of the Torque or OBD II device?
on: November 13, 2017 (GMT)

Hi,

As you folks can see my other post where I posted the issue of my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT model, I was trying to monitor some of the sensors while driving. This is first time I did. While I was on Highway at speed of 80 to 95 KM/h all of a sudden all of the dash boards lights start flashing, RPM was going crazy, I can feel the car is trying pull but something is holding back and there is force. I right away pulled the OBD-II

sa
Post Re: Is this because of the Torque or OBD II device?

Hi,

SORRY: THE MESSAGE WAS NOT COMPLETED ABOVE AND I ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED THE ENTER KEY.

As you folks can see my other post where I posted the issue of my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT model, I was trying to monitor some of the sensors while driving. This is first time I did. While I was on Highway at speed of 80 to 95 KM/h all of a sudden all of the dash boards lights start flashing, RPM was going crazy, I can feel the car is trying pull but something is holding back and there is force. I right away pulled the OBD-II device and in a minute everything was normal.

I had this issue a week ago early morning while my car was parked in my drive way and I was not running Torque or OBD device was not connected. Not sure what was the reason so just wants to check if anyone can shed some light if they have similar experience.

Thank you.
SA

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

It’s quite likely to be the OBD device itself that’s the issue (I’m guessing that it’s a clone from ebay/amazon?)

However you mention that it also happened whilst the OBD2 device wasn’t connected, which means that there could well be an electrical problem or some other fault with the vehicle

If you have had issues with the adapter not connected then I would start by checking the electrics/cabling first, also making sure the vehicle earth bond is not corroded (a bad earth/negative lead to the battery can cause many different problems) – it could also be a weak fuse that hasn’t blown, and this can also cause intermittent issues

If you have only had issues with the adapter connected to the vehicle then I would stop using that adapter. It’s possible that the clone adapter could be causing an issue (this is also usually seen by the app in the ‘error count’ field in the ‘adapter status’ screen, for detectable problems with the adapter) – the error count should always be ‘0’ after being connected for a while

sa
on: November 14, 2017 (GMT)

Hi,

The adapter is not faulty. The reason is that the adapter worked from the day one, from the first attempt. It paired with phone and right away start working with the Torque. You are right it could be a bad electrical connection that I need to find out by checking the things you mentioned.

I can test OBD adapter again on weekend in a early morning time on some road where there is not much traffic. Just to make sure that it is not the adapter. I want to monitor some of the sensors and need to collect the data while car is running and start loosing the power. I need to provide that information to Dodge dealer technician. The issue of loosing the power is intermittent and some time do not happen many days. See my other post “Dodge Grand Caravan losses power”.

Thank you,
SA

sa

Hi,

I can confirm now that the issue was not related to OBD device or Torque app as this morning while my car was parked in the driveway did the same issue after I started it. It lasted for few minutes and then the issue disappears. Thought just to confirm so people who read this thread get some confirmation.

Thank you,
SA

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Thank you for the update! It definitely sounds then that something is getting upset in the vehicle – it’ll be quite interesting to know if you do get to the bottom of what that fault is (my gut feeling says it’s electrical, and either bad battery, fuse, or earth – when the vehicle first starts up there can be several loads that turn on before the alternator is put into circuit (some vehicles delay connecting the alternator for a few moments whilst the engine gets running, to reduce load on the engine just after starting (I don’t know if yours does this)

If yours does this then it could mean that your battery might be weak(low electrolyte, cell about to collapse, etc), and, (if your vehicle has this) something like an exhaust gas preheater kicks in(for emissions), the volts may drop a lot causing the ECU/dashboard ECU to bug out

It could also be something like a weak fuse that hasn’t blown (yet provides a high resistance or intermittent connection when a high load is placed on it) – had that with one of my HF radios in the car before now and took ages to find, also fixed a couple of people with O2 heater faults as well with this
Or it could be a weak earth connection from the battery to the chassis – though this is usually less common (unless you own a smart roadster)

The above are just plain guesses based on very little practical experience that I have – I do hope you find out what the issue is though, and it’d be great to hear back what it was once you find it as well!

sa
on: November 15, 2017 (GMT)

Hi Piemmm,

Thank you for the tips. I will ask my workshop to check these. Sure I will update whatever I will find. My car is 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

What a coincident, you mentioned about the HF radio. What is your callsign :) Mine is VE3ITU.

Thank you and 73
SA

sa
on: November 15, 2017 (GMT)

Hi Piemmm,

Could you please look at the last message I posted under “Dodge Grand Caravan – Loose power” and see if you can help me to pick the sensors name from Torque app.

Thank you,
SA

sa
on: November 17, 2017 (GMT)

Hi,

I took the car to the Auto electrician. First diagnostics did not find any thing. But latter found it was faulty battery terminal connector. There is only 2.0 volts.

According to the auto electrician the original issue where car was loosing speed no matter how much gas I give could be related to this power issue which is messing around with the car computer hence anything can go wrong.

Remember under another message thread on this board “Dodge Grand Caravan – Loose power” my mechanic already changed the transmission line completely that cost me 1300 Canadian Dollars and the issue is still continue. I will monitor and see how things goes. I will report back if the original issue of loosing the car speed and knocking (kind of) is gone or not.

Please also note that for last whole week there was no electrical or transmission issue resurfaced but transmission issue occurred once or twice for few times. So it will take some time to find out before I can confirm whether any of two (Electrical or Mechanical) issues came back or not.

Thank you,
SA
2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

sa
on: November 24, 2017 (GMT)

Hi,

Just an update. After replacing the battery terminal connector there is no more issue of loosing the Electrical power but the original issue that the car loose the power / speed no matter how much gas is pressed has returned. Although it last for couple of minute and it is random. So I can report that the issue was not due to if the electrical issue was messing up with computer (if it was).

I still nee to work on this issue. Will report the progress on this issue under the other thread opened by me with the name “Dodge Grand Caravan – Loose power”

Thank you,
SA

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.

Follow me on twitter