Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Finding out if Im running lean or rich with torque pro

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Finding out if Im running lean or rich with torque pro
dbcoop
Post Finding out if Im running lean or rich with torque pro diagnosing CEL
on: September 21, 2017 (GMT)

I’m trying to self diagnose my car problems at the moment which include the only symptoms of lack of power above 5kish RPMS or when peddle is to the floor.. just doesnt seem to pick up how it should. and when your accelerating you feel a slight hesitation which I would describe as a push/pull feeling.

The CEL codes I have are p0496 and p0420..

I recorded a video of what I thought was the things I wanted to monitor to figure out whats going on.. The only thing I noticed wrong was my EGR voltage not being read at all.. and i’m not sure if thats because my car doesnt have one?? or what.. torque says its there… 2014 chevy cruze LS 1.8L gas engine.

So heres a video I created which is a cold start, driving up highway at 65ish uphill.. a bit of idling on flat surface and then downhill on the highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcwLESLt4s

hoping some folks can perhaps point me in the right direction of what to do next.

Capp777
Post Re: Finding out if Im running lean or rich with torque pro
on: September 21, 2017 (GMT)

Have you used Torque’s web lookup feature
for your two codes?

(Evap System and Catalyst related).

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Finding out if Im running lean or rich with torque pro
on: September 24, 2017 (GMT)

Torque doesn’t know whether your car has an EGR or not, only whether a reading is coming from the PID assigned for it. But you should know. I suspect it might not, especially if it has variable valve timing which can provide that function.

But attack and remove the known problems first – with vengeance. Not throwing parts at them, but using Torque to verify / challenge / eliminate things associated with the DTCs. Your ECU may be setting a flag and purposefully limiting power slightly, under certain driving conditions, trying to prevent further (emissions) problems. Remove your current DTCs, and that problem may go away.

Like Capp777 noted – your P0496 indicates ‘a problem with EVAP flow during Non-Purge’. /// While the Normally Closed EVAP Purge valve SHOULD be closed (during Non-Purge), the ECU says their is gas tank vapors _FLOWING_ (into the intake manifold). /// THAT is fuel vapor laden air out of the gas tank that is NOT metered through your Mas Air Flow intake air sensor – which increases the fuel to air ratio (richens) mixture being burned.

The Catalytic converter has to burn off or get rid of that ‘excess’ hydrocarbons. The ECU determines that by measuring the ratio of voltage switches between the Pre-cat and Post-cat sensor. NOTE: on your video, your O2s2 almost NEVER switches to low voltage reading (which would indicate it senses OXYGEN). Even though the upstream sensor does. That suggests the CAT is saturated with hydrocarbons that it cannot get rid of (OR IS BELOW EFFECIENCY —- > P0420.

Take a pair of vice-grips and squeeze your EVAP vacuum line (between EVAP Purge valve and manifold) completely FLAT and drive the vehicle for a few days and see what happens. (You already have an EVAP DTC, so the other one you will get won’t hurt). If things change appropriately – replace your EVAP Purge Valve. Then move on from there with the p0420 if it doesn’t disappear.

—————–

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.

Follow me on twitter