Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Constant HP and Torque Readings and Ford Alternate PID for Current Gear

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Constant HP and Torque Readings and Ford Alternate PID for Current Gear
Mike D.
Post Constant HP and Torque Readings and Ford Alternate PID for Current Gear
on: September 5, 2017 (GMT)

I’ve been using this app for about a week now and am VERY impressed with the information provided and the wonderful interface Ian has built. Simple, easy to use and easy to add custom PIDs which were exactly the features I needed.

My main purpose for getting it was to verify my transmission temperature during towing as Ford did not see fit to place a Trans Temp gauge in my Expedition even though they are in the F150s.

During my first configuration of the app I used the HP and Torque measurements provided but found they are more geared towards determining those values in a 0-60 type test. I wanted to have real time constant display of those values so I did a little digging…

Turns out PID 43 provides Engine Load Absolute as a percentage of the maximum brake torque. (http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/06/about-pid-calculated-load-value/). So I needed the torque specification for my 2013 Expedition. Google helped me determine it was 365 Ft Lbs.

I then created a NEW PID called Calculated Torque:

=(VAL{Engine Load(Absolute)})*3.65

At 100% load, my engine should produce 365 ft-lbs of torque so I take the % load and multiply by 3.65. If your engine produces 425, you would change 3.65 to 4.25.

Next I created another new PID called Calculated Horsepower:

=(VAL{Calculated Torque}*VAL{Engine RPM})/5252

This gives me the real time HP based upon the current % engine load & torque.

When I set these up, I did NOT assign PID numbers to the values as outlined by others on the forum and the calculations work great and I was able to select them for use in gauges:

I’ve exported my custom PID list so you can see it here..

I realize these are not 100% accurate readings for HP and Torque but while towing a 9,200 lb trailer last weekend, the values I observed seemed to be consistent with what I would expect. The 5.4L in my Expedition develops the 365 ft-lbs of torque @3600 RPM and as I got close to it, the displayed torque value was very close to 365. For a variety of reasons I was never able to get “exactly” to 3600 RPM but I did max out at about 340 ft-lbs at one point and going slowly up hill, that made sense…

Finally, I discovered that the [FORD]Transmission Gear at PID 2211b3 did not work on my Expedition; my gear number is found at PID 221e12.

Looking forward to comments/critique on this….

Mike D.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.007 seconds.

Follow me on twitter