Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Fiat 500e issues

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fiat 500e issues
jstinson1
Post Fiat 500e issues
on: August 29, 2017 (GMT)

I’m using a BAFX wireless reader (https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader) with Torque Pro and attempting to read data from a Fiat 500e (2015). After attempting to connect the Torque app to the vehicle, the dash will flash ESC and RBS error lights as well as bring up Hill Hold Assist failures. This doesn’t happen immediately–it’ll take about 30 seconds of attempting to connect to the car (connection from adapter to phone is quick).

I’ve been using this adapter + Torque Pro for the past two years as a quick reader solution across many diff’t vehicles (BMW i3, E39, E46/Chrysler Pacifica/Volvo XC90, C60/Audi A3, A4/Toyota Prius/etc) and it’s always been a champ. Not our most expensive OBD tool in the arsenal, but quick, easy and reliable.

I’d tried this combo on the 500e about 1.5 years ago and it caused that same set of codes (and required a trip to the dealer to clear). At the time, I’d chalked it up to a limited vehicle architecture (only avail in CA, limited numbers) and perhaps Torque not yet updated to support. However, we had a need to read out codes recently and thought I’d give it another try. Same issue.

Has anyone else out there had any luck with Torque and the Fiat 500e (note this is the EV platform, not the ICE)? It’s possible the reader is at fault, but it’s definitely a legit reader that hasn’t given us any issues on any other platform for over three years (including other FCA products).

cintakc
Post Re: Fiat 500e issues
on: August 29, 2017 (GMT)

Most likely on your auto protocol is ISO 15765-4 29/500
and you need “Diagnostic start command” to start a communication session 1003

jstinson1
on: August 31, 2017 (GMT)

Restricting to the correct protocol makes sense, and I’ve now tried both 11bit and 29bit CAN 500kbaud. No more warning lights.

However, I’m not sure what is meant by “Diagnostic Start Command” 1003. Do I need to create a custom PID number 1003? Is there a way to specify that it gets sent on connection?

cintakc

when creating an external PID, 1003 write to the “Diagnostics start command”

jstinson1

Here’s what I tried:
– Settings -> Manage extra PIDS/Sensors
– Add custom PID
* Long Name: test
* Short Name: test
* Min value (0), Max value (100), Scale (x1), Unit (blank), Equation (A) — defaults
* OBD Header to use (blank)
* Diagnostic start command: 1003
* Diagnostic stop command (blank)
* Overrides PID (does not override any PID)

No joy. It will not connect to the vehicle. I’ve also noticed that even tho I’ve set the comm connection to CAN 500K/29bit, after 30-40 seconds I’m still getting the dash warning lights to light up.

Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but I’ve now tried the same thing using an OBDLink MX adapter with the OBDLink tool. Same result (cannot connect to ECU), but it doesn’t result in any dashboard warning lights. Likely this is because it attempts to connect using the specified protocol, fails and then stops attempting–all w/in about 5-10 seconds.

Any suggestions or pointers to mistakes highly appreciated.

cintakc

– Add custom PID
* OBDII Mode and PID: 22F190
* Long Name: test
* Short Name: test
* Min value (0), Max value (100), Scale (x1), Unit (blank), Equation (A) — defaults
* OBD Header to use (blank)
* Diagnostic start command: 1003

Save
Test

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.

Follow me on twitter