Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » PLX iMFD & loosing connection

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PLX iMFD & loosing connection
Turbomatt12
Post PLX iMFD & loosing connection
on: August 17, 2017 (GMT)

I have been using Torque Pro on my ’03 6.0l Ford Diesel truck for a few months now. I bought a cheap Android head unit & an elm obd2 reader. Works perfect. I love it. Recently, I switched to a Kiwi 2 with iMFD so I could also monitor aux EGT, fuel pressure & Fuel Temp. I loved the idea of having everything displayed on my Android head unit & not having gauge pods everywhere or and extra screen somewhere. I got it all up and running fine, BUT 15- 60 minutes into monitoring it will loose connection completely. It’ll give me the obd2 connection lost error message. It works perfectly fine up until that point. Why is this happening & what can I do to fix this ?

I tried unselecting the “faster connection” option. That made it last a little longer before it lost connection, but didn’t fix the problem

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: PLX iMFD & loosing connection
on: August 17, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

Can you tell me what phone device you are using? (samsung, htc, etc, and model number would be helpful!) – this’ll help me test

It shouldn’t drop after that time (once it’s connected it should basically stay connected forever) and if it does, then the app tries to reconnect to the adapter immediately again (which, if it’s not reconnecting, could imply another issue preventing connecting)

I’ll setup a test and leave it running here for a couple of days on my test setup once you tell me what hardware (and hopefully I have access to it) with the iMFD just in case I missed anything, but it should just keep running forever….

The only thing I can think of is that if it’s a samsung phone, that WiFi could be being problematic (the wifi/bluetooth on samsung devcies can intefere with each other – try audio streamingto bluetooth speakers, an internet radio station over wifi to see what I mean)

Turbomatt12
on: August 18, 2017 (GMT)

Thank you very much for the reply!

I am running it with a 180 dollar Ebay Android radio head unit. It’s a genaric China made unit. It’s uses Android 6.0
Yes, like I said it will connect fine, everything will work, then just loose connection all together after 15-60 min. I have run torque pro with a cheap eBay elm bafx obd2 adapter for literally 8 hours at a time and it runs just fine. But for some reason when I use the imfd w/ kiwi 2 it has problems. If I take the imfd off , and just use the kiwi2 alone it’s fine as well

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 18, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

Ok! Thanks for the info on the head unit, I think we can rule that out…

When you have the kiwi iMFD ‘hat’ connected, how is it secured to make sure it stays together? (I wrapped tape around mine) – because of the way it’s connected, it might be a factor if it’s slightly loose or allowed to move – wrapping a bit of tape around both to keep them together usually sorts that out, if there is an issue with the ‘hat’ moving around whilst driving (even a fraction of a mm)

I’m setting up a test here and will probably leave it running over the weekend in case I have missed something,.. though this should be stable (basically if it runs for a minute, it /should/ run forever! :)

Turbomatt12
on: August 21, 2017 (GMT)

Yes, I have tape wrapped around mine just as you suggested. Did your test show anything this weekend?

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 22, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

So far so good on the testing here – it seems to be working ok with no dropouts

http://imgur.com/a/FXCCi

Turbomatt12
on: August 22, 2017 (GMT)

Is there any other info that I could give you that might help you solve this problem. Like I said before Torque works perfect without the imfd adapter plugged in, but once it’s plugged in it starts losing connection after 15-30 min always

Turbomatt12
on: September 18, 2017 (GMT)

Any help?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.029 seconds.

Follow me on twitter