Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque not consistent with itself

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torque not consistent with itself
svorkoetter
Post Torque not consistent with itself
on: August 15, 2017 (GMT)

I’ve been using Torque (paid version) for about 5 tankfuls so far, and each time, I’ve needed to tweak the fudge factor a bit. This morning, the reported fuel consumption seemed too high again, so I checked some of the other gauges I have open in Torque. The trip odometer gauge read 94.5km, and the trip fuel gauge read 4.6L, which works out to 4.9L/100km (about what I would have expected). However, the trip fuel economy gauge was reading 5.3L/100km.

I can understand that Torque can’t always be 100% accurate, since it makes assumptions such as the mixture always being exactly right, but I would at least expect it to be 100% consistent between the different gauges.

Any ideas?

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Torque not consistent with itself
on: August 17, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

Just in case you haven’t already done this, can you make sure ‘enhanced mpg calculation’ is enabled in the settings as well as ‘Faster Communications’ (the adapters should work flawlessly with these settings enabled)

The app does use as many sensors as it can get to calculate accurate MPG, the enhanced calculation uses more, and it’s usually pretty accurate – about the only thing that can throw it is a bad sensor (usually a faulty MAF sensor), though it’s *very* rare for this to happen and kinda obvious when the MAF is no longer reading accurately or has completely stopped working (by way of smoke/poor economy, or an engine that is constantly hunting idle revs when the MAF fails fully)

Hopefully it’s simply a case of turning the enhanced MPG on!

svorkoetter

Thanks, I’ll try that.

But I’m a bit surprised that the trip L/100km display doesn’t agree with the trip fuel used divided by trip distance. Regardless of which MPG calculation method was being used, wouldn’t at least one of those three figures be derived from the other two in real time?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

It *might* not under I think one circumstance where the adjustment factor has been used (though I think it may only be relevant to cost, for certain types of sensors used in some vehicles) – something that’s on my list to look at!

Hopefully the enhanced calculation sorts it though – with it turned off it can be less accurate so turning it on will vastly improve things!

svorkoetter
on: August 28, 2017 (GMT)

I tried your suggestion, and it does seem to be more accurate (and self consistent).

However, when I refueled, it was off by a few %, so I tweaked the adjustment factor a bit (changed it from 1.60 to 1.53). After that, Torque started acting really strange. My long-term fuel economy display went from 4.9L/100km to 2.3L/100km.
This morning I tried clearing everything, and now it’s displaying a long term FE of 0.1L/100km.

It seems to be confused. Perhaps I should just start over with a fresh vehicle profile?

svorkoetter
on: August 31, 2017 (GMT)

Okay, I’ve figured out how to clear up the strange state it was in: Simply switching OFF the “enhanced MPG calculation”, and then switching it back ON, fixes things.

Now another issue: Often times, when coasting towards a situation where I know I’ll need to stop, I’ll turn off the engine. Usually, Torque correctly recognizes this and reports 0.0 L/100km, but sometimes it continues to report non-zero fuel consumption as if I was just coasting with the engine running and the clutch depressed.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.

Follow me on twitter