Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » instant & average MPG calculation changes in Version 1.8.154

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: instant & average MPG calculation changes in Version 1.8.154
03FocusCentennial
Post instant & average MPG calculation changes in Version 1.8.154
on: May 19, 2017 (GMT)

hello all, longtime Torque Pro user, but new to the Forum. I’ve looked down the last 5 pages or so of postings and didn’t see anything precisely related to this issue, so I’m starting a new topic. Admins – if you need to move this query to an existing forum topic, please do so.

I apologize in advance for the wordy question, but I want to be as precise as possible.

I’ve been using the app for roughly 5 years in the same 2 cars – US spec 2003 Ford Focus ZTS with the 2.0L Zetec & 5 speed, and a 2004 US spec Mercury Mountaineer (aka, Ford Explorer) with a flew-fuel 4.0L V6 and full-time AWD/automatic transmission. I do not use the flex fuel capability – preferring to run it on straight unleaded.

I do use separate Torque dashboards for each of the cars, and do have the vehicle profile setups completed and correct for weight/fuel capacity/engine size, etc.

Phone is a Motorola X (new version) and I use a Scan-tool OBD transmitter, which has been flawless in it’s operation. Phone hasn’t changed in more than 2 years, and I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled the app, and cleared out the profiles twice trying to sort this out.

Up until this latest app, the average fuel calculation was always spot-on. Easy to verify on the Mercury, as it has it’s own on-board average fuel economy readout on the dashboard, and resetting it at fill-up, and resetting Torque log at same time, the fuel mileage would always be identical or within a 1/10 of a MPG within 20 miles, and stay dead-on that number for as long as I kept the app turned on. Results were very similar with the Focus, through use of pen & calculator.

The standards on the “instant” and “average” Torque displays up through this version were utterly predictable – when off-throttle, either in any gear or in neutral, the instant fuel economy would read either >255 or later, >512 until vehicle speed dropped significantly, and the average mpg display would always agree with the on-board display.

With the update, I noticed 2 things. The instant fuel economy reading, on coast-down, no longer went to the default >512 reading, and seemed to give very real-world numbers. But I also noticed that if coasting down in something other than top-gear, that the coast-down economy numbers were lower, rather than higher. The average fuel economy reading, despite the ‘instant’ side generating lower numbers on coast-down, was not consistently giving higher average MPG numbers, and on a typical 250mile tank of fuel, would finish out the tank with an average reading of 7 to 10 MPG higher than what the on-board calculator was giving. My pen/paper/calculations also bore this out with both cars.

SO my question is….what happened? I’ve done my best to remain absolutely consistent with the way I’m using the app, and driving the cars. Does anyone know how I can adjust things on my end to make the app data more real-world, or does anyone know if Ian is working on a fix?

thanks so much to you all for reading all this!

Capp777
Post Re: instant & average MPG calculation changes in Version 1.8.154
on: May 21, 2017 (GMT)

Ian has added a number of functions to Torque Pro
including totalizer. Maybe he has updated his app
to use these? i.e. totalized speed (MPH)/totalized gallons
per hour (GPH).

Just a thought.

03FocusCentennial
Post Re: instant & average MPG calculation changes in Version 1.8.154
on: May 21, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks for your response – I did a little drilling down in the app, and voila – you are correct, there a is an option in the ‘OBD2 Adapter Settings’ that I was not previously aware of – that being ‘Enhanced MPG Calculation’. I turned that option on, and you guessed it – within 25 miles of driving, Torque and on on-board Ford system agreed with each other.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.

Follow me on twitter