Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Misunderstanding Log Feature

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Misunderstanding Log Feature
dekade
Post Misunderstanding Log Feature
on: March 12, 2017 (GMT)

I have Torque Pro set up on a LG Tablet. I have been logging trips. I guess I do not understand the feature. I was assuming that I would be able to email data logs about the performance of my truck engine from one trip to the next.

Upon enabling and disabling data logging for a significant number of trips I discovered that I only emailed myself data about the GPS and a few other trip related categories. I emailed the data to me because the truck engine did act up yesterday and I was hoping that Torque Pro had logged why it acted up. I was wrong.

How do I get Torque Pro to keep a log of various engine functions so that I can see which engine function was diagnosed as failing while the vehicle was in operation?

There is something that I am having a problem with in my truck engine and I am trying to get Torque Pro set up in such a manner that it will help me diagnose what in the engine is actually causing a problem.

Thanks for helping.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Misunderstanding Log Feature
on: March 12, 2017 (GMT)

Sounds like you have gone into >Settings >Data Logging & Upload >Select What to Log, and specified sensors to you want Torque to log. Did you check “Log when Torque is Started”? If not you have to long tap a dashboard screen and “START Logging”. Have you gone to Torque Web Server, entered your “Torque ID” and set up your password access to Torque’s WEB Server.

If you have done these things in some order or another, your LOG files are either sitting in the “.Torque” folder on your Tablet, or on Torque’s WEB server waiting for you to log on and view/zoom/download them.

You can copy the log files from the .Torque folder to your desktop and import them into Excel to manipulate the data and create graphs in endless ways.

Also – as a side note, I recently downloaded the Plug-In – “Realtime Charts for Torque Pro” from Google Play, and it is a fabulous, intuitive App for graphing ANY sensor/group of sensors selectable in Torque in a variety of ways. I give it absolute 5 stars and the highest praises.

However, none of this can satisfy the natural human desire that Torque is somehow going to “Tell us what’s Wrong with our vehicles.” We still have to logically figure out what’s wrong based on these various data points.

Good Luck

—————-

dekade
on: March 14, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from F-150Torqued on March 12, 2017
Sounds like you have gone into >Settings >Data Logging & Upload >Select What to Log, and specified sensors to you want Torque to log.
I went into Settings and set up the sensors for GM. However, I did not check the sensors to monitor. Yeah, I know, not too bright.

Did you check “Log when Torque is Started”? If not you have to long tap a dashboard screen and “START Logging”.
I know this option is available but I have been manually starting the logging from the settings gear icon on an instrument cluster screen. I think I will go ahead and initiate the ‘Log When Started’ feature.

Have you gone to Torque Web Server, entered your “Torque ID” and set up your password access to Torque’s WEB Server.
I thought that I had done this but I must have again been wrong. Where do I obtain the “Torque ID” and how do I register to the server? I have been on the Torque Wiki page and I assume that is the correct location to be at. I see the log in option but I have not located a register option.

If you have done these things in some order or another, your LOG files are either sitting in the “.Torque” folder on your Tablet, or on Torque’s WEB server waiting for you to log on and view/zoom/download them.
For some odd reason it is difficult for me to make heads and tails out of the Torque website (if it is Torque Wiki). It seems quite non user friendly and unexplained. I have done computers for years and years but I am not gelling with Torque’s user interface for some reason.

You can copy the log files from the .Torque folder to your desktop and import them into Excel to manipulate the data and create graphs in endless ways.
This part was easy to figure out. I do know where the logs are located on the tablet. Excel is how I determined that I had missed something about the sensors; of which you now made clear. I was able to email them to me (for use with Excel on my desktop PC) and also able to install the free Excel app from Google Play onto my tablet.

Also – as a side note, I recently downloaded the Plug-In – “Realtime Charts for Torque Pro” from Google Play, and it is a fabulous, intuitive App for graphing ANY sensor/group of sensors selectable in Torque in a variety of ways. I give it absolute 5 stars and the highest praises.
I will also be looking at this RCTP app once I get squared away on the rest of the above.

However, none of this can satisfy the natural human desire that Torque is somehow going to “Tell us what’s Wrong with our vehicles.” We still have to logically figure out what’s wrong based on these various data points.
Obviously understood. I realize I have to combine data and reports to get the overall picture of what ‘might’ be negatively happening in my truck.

Which leads me to a few questions. If a sensor in the GM group is blacked out then I cannot use that sensor – correct? Finally, I am not a modern day mechanic and I do not know what all of the sensors are meant to be representing. Question 1 – how, or where, do I learn about the individual sensors and what their data implies? Question two – are there any sensors that should ‘not’ be selected – meaning – can any sensors back feed data to the ECU that could ultimately be harmful?

Good Luck

In closing to this reply;;;; correct, I am not a professional mechanic and yes I am preying upon the forum to help me with as much of a jump start as I can possibly get from the forum. Once I zero in on everything discussed above I think I will be off and running. For now, it is just me trying to get past some of the clutter with Torque and from my own mental stumbling blocks.

I have greatly appreciated F-150Torqued (and anyone else that sees fit to chime in) spending time and experience to help me through these things.

Thanks

—————-

F-150Torqued

Where do I obtain the “Torque ID” and how do I register to the server?

Just go to >settings, >Data Logging & Upload, >Show your Torque ID

Then log onto Torque-bhp and from the home screen select >Web Viewer. There you can input your Torque ID and “register” —- etc, etc. If you have ‘uploaded’ some files you can select them and view / zoom and look at them. STILL, it sounds like you are more like me (the obsessive curious type) and may definitely prefer “Realtime Charts for Torque Pro”.

Learning about sensors… ? Google and fighting it like we do any new and unfamiliar piece of software!! Lol

“Darkened sesors” are ones that are ‘not responding’ on your vehicle – either ‘non-existent or require diagnostic commands or special header. There are many variations among vehicles, even of the same manufacturer.

Are there any sensors that should ‘not’ be selected. I have NEVER had any ill effects to my truck by torque. Thou I have heard of some users complain it kills their engine – it seems unlikely. I have beat / hacked mine unmercifully.

————

Capp777

The stall engine issue seems to be prevalent
with the not-fully-OBDII-compliant pre-2004
Ford diesels with buggy ECU according to
Ian. (Unknown PIDs and commands).

Torque is marketed for fully OBDII compliant
vehicles but some users have figured out how
to work around the issues and choose to use it
anyway.

Special care must be taken when using Torque’s
command features:

Diagnostic Start Command
Diagnostic Stop Command
Send OBDII Command display

I suggest leaving those alone if you
don’t know what you are doing/sending.

As always… I could be wrong.

(Just another user).

dekade
on: March 16, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks F-150Torqued and Thanks Capp777. I appreciate you helping me through this.

Quote from Capp777 on March 14, 2017
The stall engine issue seems to be prevalent
with the not-fully-OBDII-compliant pre-2004
Ford diesels with buggy ECU according to
Ian. (Unknown PIDs and commands).

Torque is marketed for fully OBDII compliant
vehicles but some users have figured out how
to work around the issues and choose to use it
anyway.

Capp777 – You must have gathered that I posted once before about my truck problem. Just curious – is that why you brought up the ‘stall engine’ issue??? And – are you suggesting that my truck (as spec’d in the next paragragh) is possibly not fully OBDII compliant. Or, were you just making note about the Ford Diesels in particular???

Forum – Anyway, back to my situation. Yes, I have had a major 3 year long ongoing problem with my truck dying. I am the original owner of a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1L.

I purchased the Torque Pro app to help me try to zero in on the cause of the truck dying. I wanted Torque Pro to be able to compile some different bits of data that I could tie together to help me conclude what is causing my engine stalling. I knew, going in, that TP would not be able to actually tell me what was wrong. I wish it could. :)

Unless I am exhibiting a bitter streak in me – I am concluding that TP will not be able to provide me enough data to put together a potential conclusion. I was hoping for a TP report to be able to show which sensors are decreasing in function at the time(s) when my truck stalls. I think I’m probably asking too much of TP. I wanted so badly for TP to be more than just a fancy electronic instrument cluster. That comment was probably a little too harsh; I apologize. It will do some cool GPS, read and delete codes, and stuff like that. But I don’t think it will take me where I want/need to go.

I have been on the Silverado/Sierra truck forum and all over the internet for the past three years trying to figure out what could be causing the problem. Still, no solution, much less a hopeful direction to pursue.

Why don’t I take it to my favorite mechanic???? I can easily see the $$$$$$ mount higher and higher with no solution in the end. I have talked to him (them) MANY times and they don’t even know where to begin. They have talked about bringing it and they would start in wiggling wires etc. to try and make it die. I guess for a 0 I probably and going to be forced to at least take that step. No way will I set foot in a dealership. That in itself always seems to me like grounds for bankruptcy. :) Just my personal hangup.

I just hate to give up a hundred dollars that I don’t really have to begin with. I always like to beat the system and solve things myself, but, this time I think I’m hung big time.

F-150Torqued

Thank goodness I am not facing the difficult situation, but I do believe that Torque gives a far better chance than any of the other options you properly identified above (wiggling wires or taking it to a dealer).

I believe if faced with the problem, I would double down – purchase Real Time Charts for Torque Pro, dedicate a phone or tablet to monitor EVERY drive cycle, chose a bunch of critical sensors / functions and monitor (LOG/GRAPH) them till the damn thing died. At that instant, transfer that file to my desktop and trash all the prior files for storage considerations. Then analyze the saved file from every angle possible depending on how the monitored signals should relate to each other. Ie: PCM reference voltage, sensor voltages, FICM or injector control pressure, Throttle, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Exhaust Gas Backpressure, Boost pressure, Barometric Pressure — whatever else I could think of.

At the time it dies, SOMETHING had to change – and whatever it is might be being effected by something else – but could point in the direction to look. Might have to ‘throw’ some parts at it once or twice, or That might lead me to choosing additional or different sensors / functions the next go around.

————-

Capp777

My response was to the last sentence in one
of F-150Torqued post above where engine
stalling was mentioned. (It was Ford specific
but I see your vehicle is GM).

Is your truck showing any DTCs when your
problem occurs? I would think about what
sensors could cause the problem without
setting a DTC.

Does your problem occur when you are NOT
using Torque or your Adapter? Your comments
about getting the app to troubleshoot the
issue implies it did.

I am under the impression that diesels didn’t
have to be fully OBDII compliant until 2004?

Again, I could be wrong.

dekade
on: March 19, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from F-150Torqued on March 16, 2017
…I would double down – purchase Real Time Charts for Torque Pro,
Will be doing so.

dedicate a phone or tablet to monitor EVERY drive cycle,
Already done (LG G Pad X 10.1

chose a bunch of critical sensors / functions and monitor (LOG/GRAPH) them till the damn thing died.
Chose them as best as my knowledge allowed me.

At that instant…At the time it dies, SOMETHING had to change – and whatever it is might be being effected by something else – but could point in the direction to look.
This is EXACTLY what I have pictured/envisioned form the start when I purchased TorquePro.

What I am going to seek from the forum now is as follows. I’ll try to attach some screen shots to this post from my tablet. I don’t know hoe many I’ll be able to attache at one time – so I may have to do a few extra posts. We’ll see.

I would like the forum to tell me if my chosen sensors will provide adequate data logging for when the truck does die. Actually I have chosen every sensor that is available when the Torque Pro is running and active for my truck. Please be careful when reading because some of the sensors checkmarked are not highlighted with green because the vehicle was not running when the screenshots were taken. I don’t know what to do about the ones that are blacked out. I think some of the blacked out ones would be helpful but I guess they can’t be read by my OBDLink MX Bluetooth. Maybe the OBDLink is the problem for the limited available sensors. Any Input on that from anyone??????

Once I get all my ducks in a row with help from the forum then I’m gonna set the “Initiate, Wait, and See” plan into motion.

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW SCREENSHOTS OF MY SELECTED TORQUE PRO SENSORS.

http://imgur.com/a/X3cGc

dekade
on: March 20, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on March 16, 2017
Is your truck showing any DTCs when your problem occurs?
NEVER HAS THERE BEEN ANY CODE

I would think about whatsensors could cause the problem without setting a DTC.

Does your problem occur when you are NOT
using Torque or your Adapter?
YES. No respecter of any plugin modules, any apps, or nothing being plugged in. :)

Your comments about getting the app to troubleshoot the
issue implies it did…

Also see previous post from me.

Capp777

My experience with pre OBDII vehicles
without setting codes…

A bad crankcase position sensor which
kept the vehicle from running and didn’t
set code.

A bad post on a dash amp gauge for a Dodge
4×4.

Just tossing out some ideas.

dekade

Quote from Capp777 on March 20, 2017
A bad crankcase position sensor which
kept the vehicle from running and didn’t
set code.

Yes, the crankcase position sensor has always been in front of me. I have yet to venture into the repair myself because of what appears to be a fairly risque repair in terms of removing and replacing it. Still considering it though.

I just want to thank the forum for talking with me. I realize that this is not a repair forum and I do not want to wear out my welcome. However, I am still trying to determine if the forum, I, and Torque Pro can zero in on something.

Does it appears as though any of my chosen sensors would log data about crankcase position sensors????

F-150Torqued

I wish the screenshots had been KOER. No way to determine if some sensors are available or not. I would like to be seeing some Throttle position (absolute or pedal position D,E,F) and DPF Pressure / Temp, FICM Logic signals or Injector pulse width. If the ‘crank position sensor’ is flaky as @Capp777 submitted, I would think it would be reflected in PIP signal, injector signals or fuel pressure. (I don’t think ‘Fuel Trims’ are maintained on diesels – IDK. But injector pulse width is).

I am neither GMC -OR- Diesel expert, and as @Capp777 said – requirements for OBDII were lax for diesel units of your vintage. But if some of those PIDs are not available in the GM Custom pid set, I would suggest browsing or joining a good GMC / Duramax / or Diesel Forum and try to find more PIDs that you could ADD to Torque Pro’s custom PIDs for monitoring. I know for sure that custom PIDS you add to Torque become available to Real Time Charts for logging/graphing.

But those you have selected provide at least a starting point – if for nothing else just learning how to set it up. Hopefully they will provide some direction. (I would point out, as you may already be aware, the acceleration readings are solely from the accelerometer in the phone. It seems any information from them would be “After the Fact”, thus not too useful.)

——————

dekade
on: March 21, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from F-150Torqued on March 20, 2017
I wish the screenshots had been KOER. …

What do you mean by KOER??????

Never mind; Key On Engine Running – right?? I can do that. Will do so today sometime.

Just for clarification – the truck is an 8.1L gas.

I continue to thank the forum for their patience and guiding. Really helps my confidence level in going after this mess.

F-150Torqued

@dekade wrote: “Just for clarification – the truck is an 8.1L gas.”

OMG – My BAD! That changes everything – except how STUPID I feel. Proves I’m not only no expert on GMCs or Diesels, but ALSO at reading posts!

Understanding how ‘spark’ engines work much better, I can almost guarantee @Capp777 has already ‘hit the nail on the head’ – CHANGE THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR. (Your engine is loosing (What is called on a FORD) the PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) signal momentarily – Flaky sensor or wiring problem. As little as two revolutions of the engine without crankshaft position signal to synchronize with the camshaft position will kill a gas engine with Electronic ignition – very often without a DTC. May even give you trouble starting back up right away or difficult starts. IMO, you could reasonably forego the LOGGING, replace the CPS and use Torque Pro like I do to know that my truck running PERFECT.

This link might be a very useful read for your situation:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/27938-81l-engine-stall/

Hope this helps.

——————–

dekade

Ha Ha Ha. No worries F-150Torqued. Your oversight doesn’t bother me a bit.

I am going to call my mechanic and get an estimate on CPS.

In the meantime I uploaded the KOER screenshots. Click on following link.

http://imgur.com/dqonbYe

dekade

I posted right before this post so check it out for new Torque Pro screenshots.

I just talked to my mechanic. About a week ago I went into him and talked to his partner (his cousin). I gave him the whole scoop on what was happening (even though I had already done so about 5 times before in the last 3 years).

Anyway, I had not heard anything from him this past week. I then read the post URL link today from F-150Torqued. Wow! Spot on to my situation.

I called up my mechanic and asked him for a price on the CPS. He asked if I had heard from his partner. I said no. My mechanic then went on to say that they had come up with the CPS determination based on a lot of research and even GM notes from somewhere (not sure where). His comment – ‘GM even made lots of mentions about penetrating oil because of the CPS seizing up in the block. So, that’s makes me believe they have known for quite some time that this is a problem issue.’

Pretty cool that he – and Torque Pro forum – and I – were all apparently on the same page.

His price 5.00. From what I have read about the CPS in the past three years I think it is a very scary situation for a high quality shade tree mechanic like myself … (Ha Ha, chuckle, chuckle). Just about broke my arm patting myself on the back with that one.

Anyway, I think I’ll save up the money and git ‘er done. Probably the best shot that any of us can come up with at this time.

Then – I can get back to the game plan of benefiting from the original intent of Torque Pro.

F-150Torqued
on: March 22, 2017 (GMT)

Maybe making that good relevant Google find ‘vindicated’ me for the stupid diesel assumption!

————

dekade
on: March 23, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from F-150Torqued on March 22, 2017
Maybe making that good relevant Google find ‘vindicated’ me for the stupid diesel assumption!

My friend … you are definitely off the hook! :)

I still am pleased with the fact that three different people were zeroing in on the same thing at the same time. I have been with this particular mechanic for over 10 years. You can always tell when someone is a ‘for real’ straight shooter – and this mechanic fits that bill perfectly! Thanks again for the link!

dekade
on: May 5, 2017 (GMT)

Yesterday I was able to catch my problem as it occurred while Torque Pro was running. I was on a one hour errand run and acquired 5 logs during that time. I have emailed them to myself in a .csv file format.

Reading the data is way over my head. I have tried a few different charts in Excel but everything is still way over my head. I think the data shows when the problem occurred but I cannot make an educated diagnostic analysis/connection. I’m just not geared enough in that direction.

I wanted to upload the files to this post but I don’t see a way to do that.

I also can’t seem to get the files to go to the Torque Pro web viewer. I think that operation was supposed to take place while I was driving. Guess I didn’t have it set up correctly.

Is there anyone in the forum willing to look at my logs and see if they might tell a story of some sorts?

Also, how should I best send the files to anyone?

Thanks for any time that anyone donates to my cause.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.

Follow me on twitter