Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Not reading fault codes?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not reading fault codes?
F-150Torqued
Post Re: Not reading fault codes?
on: March 11, 2017 (GMT)

Having designed and written lots of software myself, based on that experience I know that end users often “SEE” things differently than the programmer did during the design phase. (One of my favorite expressions became “Where the HELL were YOU when the page was blank?”)

The PCM programming team or programmer probably didn’t perceive the “Maintenance required” condition as a “FAULT”?

I found a similar situation on my vehicle (2004 Ford F150 5.4L) that I was SURE was a ‘program error’. I identified what I thought an error between two logically connected PIDs:

PID # 1616 MFTOT, “Total Number of Misfires”; and
PID # 16DC MFF 0 CNT “Number of Drive Cycles Since Last Misfire”;

Finally, I found that if the Misfire occurred during the first 1000 engine revolutions, it counts toward the TOTAL NUMBER OF MISFIRES (During THIS drive cycle), but does NOT reset the other counter for “Number of Drive Cycles since last Misfire” ??????? I guess I can justify the programmers reasoning —– since a misfire right at ignition or startup time is FAR less significant than they are after things sorta settle down.

Your situation seems much more logical to me though. I don’t consider needing an oil change to be a “FAULT”.

————–

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.005 seconds.

Follow me on twitter