Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Pre configured dashboards

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pre configured dashboards
story97
Post Pre configured dashboards
on: March 7, 2017 (GMT)

is it possible to somehow have pre-designed dash boards?

that’s the part I get stuck at. i stink at making a nice looking layout of guages.

I thought maybe it’s possible (or could be) to export a layout (not theme) and for one, use it on other devices (i have both a phone and tablet), but we could also share them with others.

ThomasMeister
Post Re: Pre configured dashboards
on: March 8, 2017 (GMT)

You can export your layout and share with other devices. But if the other device has a different screensize you have to “move” each gauge in the right position ;(

F-150Torqued
on: March 8, 2017 (GMT)

@story97 said Quote from story97 on March 7, 2017
” but we could also share them with others.”

Yes – BUT – the ‘others’ would have to have all the same sensors & PIDs referenced by the dashboard to function correctly.

—————

story97
on: March 10, 2017 (GMT)

see I’m not thinking that deep. i’m talking about guage choices and ‘aesthetics’

I have ADHD and it’s bad. I can’t sit down long enough to make a real gauge set up that i like (sizes, position etc).

I know i can export/import but I learned what you mention. i have a tablet and phone. tablet is 12.2 inches. phone is… well, not. lol

I can hardly see the gauges on the phone if I have more than 2 because they have to be so small, so when i’m using this I’ve been using my tablet. problem is, the car mount for it is gigantic and intrusive.

I originally got this scanner just to make sure I could pass emissions and troubleshoot what I thought was a thermostat or similar problem (but found my coolant system was fine).

Now it’s mroe ‘play’ but i love this thing. Torque is the only app i bought, but the ones I tried just didn’t match up.

xPosTech

I’ve done something similar. I have TP on a Galaxy Tab 9″ tablet and have been experimenting with an Amazon Fire HD6. The Fire seems much smaller than it actually is.

I found that by setting all gauges to digital they’re just as easy to read on the Fire HD6 as the analog dial gauges I started with on the Galaxy Tab. Granted the Fire HD6 is larger than the average phone but I would suggest you try the digital gauges. Once you have the same layout on both devices the display name becomes less important as you will quickly learn each gauge from its position on the screen.

Ted

ex Hardware Tech Support Engineer (retired)

F-150Torqued

@story97… ADHD? With a 70th birthday in the rear view mirror, I call messing with OP and trying to figure out that computer on my truck – anti-dementia exercises.

Thanks for the chuckle of the day.

I wish we could ‘export/import’ a single dashboard page. I would use that a lot.

—————–

story97
on: March 11, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from xPosTech on March 10, 2017
I’ve done something similar. I have TP on a Galaxy Tab 9″ tablet and have been experimenting with an Amazon Fire HD6. The Fire seems much smaller than it actually is.

I found that by setting all gauges to digital they’re just as easy to read on the Fire HD6 as the analog dial gauges I started with on the Galaxy Tab. Granted the Fire HD6 is larger than the average phone but I would suggest you try the digital gauges. Once you have the same layout on both devices the display name becomes less important as you will quickly learn each gauge from its position on the screen.

Ted

hahah. us old people. I’m 50. IT Senior Project Manager of 20+ years so we come from the same field.

years before I would have filled 7 dashboards with stuff, but i lose track of what i want to do now because ADHD makes it nearly impossible to focus on tasks (lovely considering my entire career is based on meetings and task management).

being 50 it’s nearly impossible to get a doctor to give me any medicine for this, and although I was diagnosed as a kid they didn’t even prescribe ritalin, adderall etc and I bet they didn’t even exist in mainstream back then. so i never got help. but the older i get the harder it gets

story97

by the way, if they made this possible and people sold pre-configured dashboards on the play store for .99 i’d probably buy most of the popular ones to save the trouble

story97

Quote from F-150Torqued on March 8, 2017
@story97 said Quote from story97 on March 7, 2017
” but we could also share them with others.”

Yes – BUT – the ‘others’ would have to have all the same sensors & PIDs referenced by the dashboard to function correctly.

—————

I understand but i’m not talking about most of the stuff. just general layouts. speed, revs, MPG, coolant temp etc.

I assume the way this works is those guages are universal and if your auto doesnt support those things it just wouldn’t work.

I don’t have a clue how this runs under the hood. but i would think all cars can do mpg,speed, revs, coolant and the basic. then manufactures of cars would be grouped into categories.

i don’t know, seems like it could be done, but i don’t know how this is written.

F-150Torqued

Quote @story97 “but i would think all cars can do mpg, speed, revs, coolant and the basic. then manufactures of cars would be grouped into categories.”

That would be entirely too ‘logical’ for government bureaucrats. You are correct, speed, revs, coolant temp and a bunch of ’emissions related’ things like O2 sensor and fuel trim stuff is pretty standard. But beyond emissions and basic engine control/monitor functions, everything is VERY helter skelter.

I have spent an enormous amount of time/effort researching and compiling PIDs relevant to my 2004 F150. Even within the Ford lineup, PID assignments exhibits NO common coordination between divisions. And there is absolutely NO coordination in PID assignments between manufacturers – beyond the Federally mandated ones.

Unfortunate for US.

—————

story97

now that really surprises me. i would have assumed mfgr’s would be trying to standardize their own shit to make maintenance/troubleshooting easier.

oh well.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.039 seconds.

Follow me on twitter