Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » O2 sensor voltages and rate of data sampling

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: O2 sensor voltages and rate of data sampling
Bill
Post O2 sensor voltages and rate of data sampling
on: February 27, 2017 (GMT)

Hello,

First post here, and I’ve got question. What I’d like to know is, when Torque Pro is pulling O2 sensor voltages, is the data presented in a manner where what you see is exactly what’s happening or will Torque skip some data along the way? FWIW, the data below data was pulled using Torque Pro on a Galaxy S7 and an OBDLinkMX adapter.

I ask because I’m trying to understand the O2 sensor voltages shown below, taken from a 2004 Ford 4.0L SOHC V6, fully warmed up and not moving. The vehicle runs fine, mileage is fine, no DTC’s. In the screen captures below, the data presented is, I believe, suggesting lazy upstream bank 1 and bank 2 O2 sensor response, provided that no data points are being omitted by Torque. Is my assumption RE data sampling and reporting correct, nothing is omitted, averaged, etc etc, and that each and every swing up and down will be shown?

***Suspicious of lazy O2 sensor data because I believe that there should be, at minimum, at lease two changes in voltage every second, and clearly, that’s not happening here.

TIA

F-150Torqued
Post Re: O2 sensor voltages and rate of data sampling
on: February 27, 2017 (GMT)

@Bill

Torque displays EVERY reading – at whatever speed it can poll all the sensors on a given dashboard screen. THAT imposes a variable that is hard to call – depending on your phone, dongle, and PCM. However I can tell you, your upstream sensor readings look fine. The PCM is the one that decides at what voltage (high and low end) (ie Over-rich or Over-lean) to ‘switch’ or start adjusting injector pulse widths in the other direction. I do not know you can expect that to “be” six times a second, only capable of it.

The “RATIO” between actual direction changes between FRONT O2’s and REAR O2’s in a given period of time is used to determine the effeciency of the catalyst. But not necessarily the number of switches per second.

Two suggestions. I prefer using ‘digital’ gauges for fuel trims – STFT and LTFT. The actual reading (in %) is more important that the graphic representation for those. As for O2’s, I prefer to graph front and rear O2s together – and hopefully the rear ones are steady around .6 to .7 volts and not switching around like the front ones. As long as the front ones are ranging between .1 and .7 or .8, your good. But when you rev her up (I notice your RPMs are 1965 in the example) – all bets are off as to what the graph might be looking like. Probably something just about like you see in your example.

If you wish to “DRILL DOWN” more on a given sensor – you might do better constructing your own Graph with the “GRAPHING” selection and monitor a single O2 sensor (or no more than 2 sensors) and specify the sample rate to get more accurate.

Good luck.

————-

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.01 seconds.

Follow me on twitter