Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque app and my truck shutting down while driving

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torque app and my truck shutting down while driving
ocracokenc
Post Torque app and my truck shutting down while driving
on: February 11, 2017 (GMT)

I have a 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 Power Stroke. I am using a Samsung tablet and a mini bluetooth adapter from Amazon. When I first tried using the app my truck would just turn over and not crank but I watched a youtube video on how to set it up properly and got it to working.

But tonight on the way home my truck just shut down for the second time in a month and this time I almost got hit from the rear. It starts the same way. One of the gauges will read far off and drop out, For example my trans temp went to 1300 degrees then stopped reading and then my Injector pulse width read crazy high then dropped and then MPG and so forth.

I was getting ready to merge onto a busy road and the truck shut down. None of the gauges on the dash lit up or anything. I tried to start it but until I unplugged the bluetooth adapter from the part and turned the key off then back on nothing happened. After I did that it fired up and ran normal.

I am almost afraid to use it now until I figure this out. One odd thing is when I first start the app it connects the after 10 seconds disconnects and I have to hit the app icon again and it will connect again. I did not think it could “talk” to the the PCM but it is like it is shutting my injector driver module down. Thanks for the help

married with 2 kids and love boating, fishing with the family and driving my diesel truck

Capp777
Post Re: Torque app and my truck shutting down while driving

Is your adapter showing any errors under
Adapter Status icon functions?

From previous posts on this forum, it has
been mentioned that unknown pids and
commands (mode 9?) could cause issues
with your pre OBDII diesels.

A faulty adapter might be creating the issues?

I believe Ian has special settings for certain
Fords as well.

If your adapter is faulty, I suggest BAFX or
OBDLink MX which have worked well on my
older Fords.

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=3903.0

(Just another Torque user wishing I was
in Ocracoke, NC … its been 40 years since my last
visit when it was mostly for diehard fishermen :-) ).

ocracokenc

The unknown Pids is what was causing my truck to not start when I first tried using Torque. I will check the adapter status next time I use it. Thanks for the help

I love Ocracoke but moved from NC to FL 5 years ago. Ocracoke is slowly changing with the constant fight to stop people from driving on the beach. I will always love it there. You should take a trip!!!!

married with 2 kids and love boating, fishing with the family and driving my diesel truck

Capp777
on: February 12, 2017 (GMT)

You are probably aware already, but
just in case, make sure the periodic scan
for fault codes is not enabled… I
believe there is a mode 9 call for vin number
that occurs. (Under Speech/Alarm settings).

ocracokenc
on: February 14, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on February 12, 2017
You are probably aware already, but
just in case, make sure the periodic scan
for fault codes is not enabled… I
believe there is a mode 9 call for vin number
that occurs. (Under Speech/Alarm settings).

I will check this out. I tried using Torque tonight for my drive home and I could not start my truck until I unplugged the blue tooth from the OBD port. It would turn over and over but never fire. It is the Injector Driver Module that it is shutting down I think.

I checked the adapter status and it says connected to adapter and connected to ECU, But in about 10 seconds it says connected to adapter but not ECU and when it does the truck shuts down. I will look into the code 9 thing, How would be the best way to go about that?

I also think my blue tooth adapter may be junk. It had a red and green light but the green light flickers now that I am having issues. Thanks guys

ocracokenc

I went thru the settings and made sure the periodically scan for faults was disabled. I also selected a option that said it helps work around “bugged” ECU’s for my truck. I started it and it started dropping sensors and in 15 seconds shut down.

I noticed under adapter error count it says 0 errors, 27 other faults. I am going to go ahead and order the blue tooth adapter previously mentioned. I am almost ready to just order the Edge Insight CTS2 at this point. I am very frustrated that it worked so well and then just stopped

Capp777

I also believe your adapter is suspect. There have
been two other recent threads (Ford users) which
were resolved by replacing the cheap clone adapters.

That’s the reason I mentioned the other adapters
which have worked on my PWM Fords.

ocracokenc

Quote from Capp777 on February 14, 2017

I also believe your adapter is suspect. There have
been two other recent threads (Ford users) which
were resolved by replacing the cheap clone adapters.

That’s the reason I mentioned the other adapters
which have worked on my PWM Fords.

I am going to order the BAFX adapter and give it another try. Thank you for the help

ocracokenc

Capp777, of the 2 adapters you mentioned, the BAFX and the OBDLink MX what would be my best choice? The BAFX seems to be about and the other is about . I emailed Amazon and they issued a refund and said I could just keep or toss the Hikeren OBD 2 mini that is suspect. I only paid for the one I have now

Capp777
on: February 15, 2017 (GMT)

The OBDLink MX is based off a different
chip set which offers increased performance.
It also has additional wire level capabilites
as well. Needless to say it cost more than
the typical clone adapters.

The BAFX BT Elm327 adapter is a little more
expensive than the cheaper clones but it has
worked on the older PWM, VPW, ISO protocols
as well as the newer CAN protocol. Some of
the cheaper clones may work with some protocols
but not others. (This forum has numerous
examples of this).

With that said, it comes down to how much you
want to spend. I have personally purchased (5)
of the BAFX and (1) OBDLink MX for me and
family.

Note:

Make sure to set your specific protocol in the
vehicle profile if you go with the OBDLink MX.
Otherwise the auto search for protocol may
yield unexpected results as reported by some
on this forum.

ocracokenc
on: February 17, 2017 (GMT)

Thank you Capp777, I have ordered the BAFX and it should be here in a few days, I will let you know. I am confident with your knowledge that this will resolve my issue. I figure since it worked so well then all of the sudden quit it has to be the adapter.

I would really like to get the Torque app going and then install my A-pillar gauge set for Pyro, trans temp and boost. I just like that set up. I at one time had thought about the Edge insight CTS2 that will do what Torque and the A-pillar set will do but it is 0 no way around it.

I just hope my problem is the adapter and not my OBD port. Thanks again

Capp777
on: February 17, 2017 (GMT)

FYI,

That link I included earlier in this thread includes
a number of PIDs for the 7.3 that are not currently
in Torque. I suggest reading the whole thread but
use the latest list near the end of thread to create
any PIDs you desire. (TFT and Boost included).

ocracokenc
on: February 19, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on February 17, 2017

FYI,

That link I included earlier in this thread includes
a number of PIDs for the 7.3 that are not currently
in Torque. I suggest reading the whole thread but
use the latest list near the end of thread to create
any PIDs you desire. (TFT and Boost included).

I will do and thank you. I got the BAFX today and the first thing I noticed is it is huge. I may get the corded extension because my port is near my gas pedal and I am afraid of hitting it but I will install it Tuesday and see how it works and fits.

It seems to be of much better construction and I have high hopes.It has a much better users manual with online support I will let you know. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again Capp777

ocracokenc
on: February 21, 2017 (GMT)

Capp777, The new adapter works like a charm. I can start my truck with my tablet off and turn on the tablet and it will connect right to it.

I tried several things that shut my truck down before and I had zero problems. I wish I had never wasted time on the other one and I am grateful that I came here.

Do you know about how much power the red light on the BAFX draws? I am wondering if I can just leave it plugged in. I have 2 Interstate group 65 750cca batteries but they are 5 years old and getting tired. I will be replacing them soon.

Thanks for resolving my issue

Capp777
on: February 21, 2017 (GMT)

I’m thinking the Elm327 chip by itself draws around
12 mA (and 0.15 mA in low power mode AT LP). Likely
the whole unit may draw 40-50 mA.

It would probably be okay if your vehicle is
driven daily. More than a couple days may
be pushing it. (Will also drain faster in
extreme cold).

But as always, I could be proven wrong!

So glad you’re up and running again. Don’t forget
to look at those PIDs mentioned above, if applicable.
Others and I worked hard on getting those for the
7.3 OBS folks.

Edited.

ocracokenc
on: March 3, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on February 21, 2017
I’m thinking the Elm327 chip by itself draws around
12 mA (and 0.15 mA in low power mode AT LP). Likely
the whole unit may draw 40-50 mA.

It would probably be okay if your vehicle is
driven daily. More than a couple days may
be pushing it. (Will also drain faster in
extreme cold).

But as always, I could be proven wrong!

So glad you’re up and running again. Don’t forget
to look at those PIDs mentioned above, if applicable.
Others and I worked hard on getting those for the
7.3 OBS folks.

Edited.

I am very grateful for all your help. Everything is working great. I have a new brake controller that stays on for 30 minutes when the truck is off.

I now have 2 new group 65 750cca Motorcraft batteries that are good and fresh from a high volume dealer, they were actually the cheapest.

Tomorrow my truck will sit for 3 days and on the 4th day I will start it to test it.

I really want to think you again for the PIDs and help. I was very close the buying the Edge Cts2.

I was going to do the 3 pillar gauge with a EGT temp gauge but since I have a “stock” automatic with a good free flowing intake, efficient turbo and free flowing exhaust I think I will be ok. I added more air and not fuel

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 3, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

Not great news for you I’m afraid – The truck engine should not shutdown with an OBD2 adapter connected and an app running

This is however a known issue that affects a small number of the F1 and F250 trucks built in a particular plant over a 3 month period – this means that your particular ECU has a firmware bug in it that causes the ecu to reboot when the bug happens (to do with normal OBD2 communications requests)

There is a F150 workaround option in Torque (which you may have found) which may also mitigate this to some extent, however this won’t stop clone adapters from sending the wrong request (and triggering the bug also).

– Ford were contacted a while ago about this issue with the ECU, but are unwilling to release a fix, so unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done to workaround the issue properly – I can only recommend that you don’t use /any/ OBD communications on the vehicle whilst it is being used for regular driving as any OBD2 comms could cause the ECU to restart

richbenp
on: June 14, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from admin on March 3, 2017
Hi!

Not great news for you I’m afraid – The truck engine should not shutdown with an OBD2 adapter connected and an app running

This is however a known issue that affects a small number of the F1 and F250 trucks built in a particular plant over a 3 month period – this means that your particular ECU has a firmware bug in it that causes the ecu to reboot when the bug happens (to do with normal OBD2 communications requests)

There is a F150 workaround option in Torque (which you may have found) which may also mitigate this to some extent, however this won’t stop clone adapters from sending the wrong request (and triggering the bug also).

– Ford were contacted a while ago about this issue with the ECU, but are unwilling to release a fix, so unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done to workaround the issue properly – I can only recommend that you don’t use /any/ OBD communications on the vehicle whilst it is being used for regular driving as any OBD2 comms could cause the ECU to restart

That is unfortunate. I am having a similar problem, but am using the PLX kiwi 2nd gen which I though was not a clone adapter. So I should check the box for 150s which will perhaps help the 250? When you say don’t use any OBD communications while driving do you mean don’t use torquepro (or any other type of monitoring app)? Can you mention the factory and dates just so I can verify that this is actually the problem I am having and not something else with similar symptoms? I should mention that I don’t seem to have any connection issues with the adapter (in contrast to the original poster).

richbenp
on: June 15, 2017 (GMT)

One other thought. Would one of these outfits that flashes the ECU with a so-called “tune” be able to fix this problem? That is to say, if they update the ECU firmware, wouldn’t it fix the bug? Or is it a hardware bug … whence replacing the ECU itself with a non troubled and presumable salvaged friend would do the trick?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.

Follow me on twitter