Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » ELM 327 USB wont stay connected

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ELM 327 USB wont stay connected
bobinIllinois
Post ELM 327 USB wont stay connected
on: January 23, 2017 (GMT)

I’m having a frustrating problem with this application.

I have a nexus 5, and a cheap USB ELM 327 1.4 device. I’m using the latest version of the torque pro software as far as I know.

Torque ‘sees’ the ELM device, and will start the lights TX/RX lights blinking at 38400 baud. It will not connect to the ECU on my 2004 dodge durango, the ECU lights never blink either.

On the main screen of the app, the connect icon will go green for some time, and the car icon will blink, then the connect icon will go yellow, and the app will say that it cant talk to the OBD adapter. I never connects to the ECU.

I can use a terminal app on my phone, and connect the ELM adapter at 38400 baud and the durango ECU using the 11bit 500K protocol, with no problem.

I have turned on ‘debugging’ in the app, but it never shows me anything, or offer up any type of file to look at.

It fails on my Nexus 5 phone, and a fresh install on my Nexus 10 tablet. Both devices can talk to the ELM adapter using a simple rs232 terminal. The adapter is FTDI -> ELM 1.4

Anybody have an idea how to debug/fix this? Seems like it should be a simple error…

Thanks in advance.

Capp777
Post Re: ELM 327 USB wont stay connected
on: January 24, 2017 (GMT)

Have you tried setting your specific protocol
in the vehicle profile?

Are errors being reported under Adapter Status
icon functions? (normal is no errors). When errors
are present there may be issues with your adapter.

bobinIllinois

> Have you tried setting your specific protocol
> in the vehicle profile?

Yes, ISO 15765-4 CAN (11bit 500k baud)
I can use this protocol to connect to the vehicle using this adapter and a terminal program.

> re errors being reported under Adapter Status
> icon functions? (normal is no errors). When errors
> are present there may be issues with your adapter.

Sometimes it reports 1 error, then it clears back to 0, The little usb stick icon blinks blue, then solid blue, then goes yellow. Torque is never able to connect to the ECU.

I will get “No response from OBD adapter, did you select the right baud rate?” The lights on the adapter are blinking the whole time. I can set the baud to AUTO, or 38400 and I get the same result.

Is it possible to see what error is being generated? Where is the debug information kept?

Seems like it is real close to working, and is possibly a simple communication/parsing error.

Again, I can connect to the adapter at 38400 baud from both my devices using a simple terminal program. I set the adapter to protocol 6, and I can talk to my ECU and send/receive data just fine.

Thanks for trying to assist!

bobinIllinois

More information as well.

In ‘adapter status’ the Connection to adapter says:
Yes- Connected to:

Adapter Manufacturer says:
No response – check the correct adapter is selected.

My adapter does not give a manufacturer string, is torque looking for one?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

This should simply work – it doesn’t matter on the type of adapter as Torque doesn’t care if the manufacturer id/ version/etc is present or not

What does matter is the ECU responses and that the adapter sends them back in the correct format.

It could also be an erroneous setting in the vehicle profile causing the issue. Make sure you’re using a default vehicle profile (dont change any of the settings in it) for any testing – Torque will always be able to connect to OBD2 compliant vehicles with a default vehicle profile

When you do it manually, out of interest, what is the response the adapter sends back to the 0100 command when you send it to the ECU?

bobinIllinois
on: January 25, 2017 (GMT)

Hello!

Yeah, I figured this should be simple…

0100 from the terminal program returns:

41 00 BF BE B9 93
41 00 80 10 00 01

It also looks like the 0902 returns the correct VIN format.

I will try the default profile.

thanks.

bobinIllinois
on: January 25, 2017 (GMT)

defaults did not work. Still the same condition.

To let you know, I tried OBD Fusion, and it worked right away, with both of my vehicles.

Would really like to get this app to work, so any other diagnostic information I can give you, please let me know.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.

Follow me on twitter