Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Poor MPG estimates, and no way to adjust volumetric efficiency

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poor MPG estimates, and no way to adjust volumetric efficiency
erkme73
Post Poor MPG estimates, need suggestions...
on: January 2, 2017 (GMT)

When I have the default settings (no enhanced MPG selected), I get optimistic values – both long-term and instant. When I do select the enhanced calculations, the readings are well below actual.

When I read the help file, there is a mention about adjusting the volumetric efficiency – and that should be attempted before using the MPG trim settings in the profile.

I cannot find the VE adjustment field anywhere. Is this something that was dropped in newer releases, and the help file is just referencing something that no longer exists, or am I just blind?

The displacement, weight, fuel type, etc are all accurate. The VE shown as a value on a gauge is around 10-15%.

Stumped…

Capp777
Post Re: Poor MPG estimates, and no way to adjust volumetric efficiency

Answered in other thread.

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=7866.0

erkme73

Well now I just feel silly for cross-posting. Was concerned that the OP of that other thread was no longer watching.

Thanks for the reply. Will have to check again under advanced settings. I know I looked there multiple times. If it’s there now, then either I’m losing it, someone’s playing a cosmic joke on me, or it’s time for me to get my eyes/reading skills checked.

Thanks!

erkme73

Ok, now I see what happened. When “advanced” is selected, options don’t just get tacked on to the bottom of the standard options – new ones appear embedded up higher on the screen among the normal ones. I never scrolled up high enough to get back to the max RPM field. Doh…

But, that does now leave me with an issue. The default 85% value is already entered in the VE field.

Given that the normal MPG calculations are too high, and the enhanced clacs are too low, what would be the best approach.

My vehicle is a normally-aspirated 2007 5.7L Toyota Tundra. Certainly not the newest, but I would like to think it is running better than the 11%-ish reported readings I see while driving.

So…

1) Are there any other things I should examine/adjust before playing with the VE field?
2) Should I return to the normal (non-enhanced) MPG calculations before playing with the VE?

I feel like I’m asking for someone to fish for me, rather than learning how to fish for myself. Apparently I wasn’t paying enough attention in physics and mathematics classes.

Capp777
on: January 4, 2017 (GMT)

This thread maybe useful…

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=5942.0

Found using “Search” feature.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.

Follow me on twitter