Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » problem after a stop

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: problem after a stop
Timmay
Post problem after a stop
on: June 15, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

I’m having further problems with trying to log data with the “only log while connected to the ECU” ticked. Torque will log and display OBD PIDs for the 1st trip that I take in a car, however if I stop, torque refuses to start logging again, and any of the gauges just freeze at the previous value they were at. I have the most up to date torque version, and am using KBC OBD dongles.

Do you have any idea where the problem might lie, is it in torque, the signal from the ECU, or the bluetooth? I really need torque to be able to log by itself for at least a week, and it will not do this at the minute.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: problem after a stop

Hm,

You’ve described it enough that I can run some tests. The gauges will freeze at the last value read when they lose connection to the ECU, but when the ECU is ‘turned back on’, Torque should reconnect and data should continue.

It could take up to 3-4 minutes to reconnect to the ECU once a connection is lost as the app will cycle through up to 10 protocols

I’ll run a couple of tests before the next release, just incase.

Ian

Timmay

Yep I know about the issue of it cycling through the protocols, which seems to take about 30s/1min on average for my car (2003 civic on ISO protocol), but the issue I am having is separate.

Slightly different topic here, but a suggestion to speed up the reconnection to the ECU would be that torque scans for the previous protocol used firstly? Or maybe have the protocol saved as in the vehicle profile setting?

piemmm
Administrator

It already scans for the previous protocol use first :-) however if your ignition is off and the app is left running, then it obviously won’t connect and will start cycling through the protocols

I’ll see if I can sort something out in the profile in the next couple of versions

Ian

Timmay
on: June 17, 2011 (GMT)

Ok bit more info on this problem. I let the torque running on a phone yesterday in the car, it was still running when I checked it this morning before I drove off. It attempted to connect with the ECU, but just got stuck on the Can protocol. I left it for 10/15mins to see if it would manage to connect, but it did not so I just restarted torque, and it linked quick enough with my car then. Weather this is an issue with just my car and can, or something else I don’t know.

I was thinking about the other issue of having torque scan through all the protocols once the ECU has disconnected, could you put a setting in the adapter settings that forces torque to one scan for one protocol (for my own car, ISO, I don’t need torque to look for the others). This would speed up the time it takes torque to refind the connect.

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi!

I’m looking at this closer now – the app does sleep for 60 seconds at a time when it’s not able to connect to the adapter, however I haven’t left it for an extended time where it was able to connect(but not to the ECU) so I will try that over the next couple of days to see what’s going on. A fix might not make it into the next update, but if I can replicate it, will in the version following that

Timmay
on: June 29, 2011 (GMT)

Ian, did you have any luck with this? Does anyone else have problems like this.

I am also coming across an issue with the torque app just closing after say 12/18hours of logging, whereas I need the app to be able to reliably record for much longer then this!! What could possibly be causing torque to close, and is there anyway of forcing it to restart if it closes (ie an app in the background that monitors if torque is running, and if its not then restart it).

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 29, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

This should be fixed in the latest version 1.4.82, are you using the latest version?

Is torque connected during the 18 hours it’s logging? or is it waiting for the ECU to wake up?

Timmay
on: July 1, 2011 (GMT)

Yep, I’m on the most up to date version. I tried it again on a different vehicle overnight (an 03 525, running the ISO standard also), and the very same thing happened with this, torque displays all the graphs grand, and logs fine, and then when you turn off the vehicle at a stop etc, it starts to cycle through the protocols, and once it hits CAN it stays trying to connect to CAN, and wont cycle around again to the other protocols. I will have to go out and test this on a non ISO OBD vehicle, if I can get hold of one.

The other issue of where it stops logging after 12/18hrs is generally when torque is not connected to the ECU. I use the torque app to try just the GPS data for vehicles that do not have an OBD port, and in these cases, torque will never really log more then 12/18hrs, and when I check the phone, the torque app has closed. Could the torquelogs.csv file be getting too big, and causing the torque app to forceclose?

Any help would be great on this, I really need to get the torque app to reliably record at least a weeks amount of data from a vehicle, without the driver having to check the phone each trip to ensure its logging!

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

There’s about 4 CAN protocols to cycle through, then the app sleeps for up to 60 seconds before trying again. So it may /appear/ to be stuck on a CAN protocol.

In the latest version, in the vehicle profile, you can select which is your preferred protocol (and Torque will use that protocol) to enable faster connects. You may want to switch to that.

The filesize of the logfile may be an issue. What size logfiles do you have after the app has quit?

It could also be the phone rebooting in itself. There is a bug on some older phones that after 512 connection attempts, the OS will just crash and reboot – a bug in Android itself, though this was meant to have been fixed on newer android handsets. It could also be this that is killing off Torque.

I will run another set of tests again this weekend, though last time I tested it I could not reproduce the problem you were experiencing. Are you able to tell if the phone has rebooted in the 18 hour window? I may be able to work around it.

The only other thing it could be is an over-zealous task manager killing Torque off, but that’s unlikely because you probably don’t have one installed.

Timmay

I cant remember off hand which CAN protocol it gets stuck on. I tried to set the vehicle profile to iso14230 (which is what my honda is). As I understand, torque will still try to cycle through the other protocols if it cannot pickup the preferred one, the preferred one is just cycled 1stly? Perhaps a checkbox that makes torque only look for the one protocol would make sense, if you know the phone is only going to be used with the same vehicle the whole time.

In terms of the other issue, I have used torque on a few different phones, including a samsung i5500 running 2.1, and a very recently out vodafone 858 running 2.2, and it does not seem to make any difference. I don’t use any task managers etc.

Could it possibly be a google licence issue? The 3g signal isnt great where the car would be parked overnight.

piemmm
Administrator

No it shouldn’t be a license issue as the check is only done when the app starts (and is now a very relaxed check).

What size of log file do you have on the SD card after the app has quit?

If you select the protocol to use, the app will prefer that protocol and will not cycle through to the CAN protocols

How are you leaving the app for the 18 hours? Is the phone sitting showing the app screen, or is Android at the homescreen (with the app running in the notification bar)?

When the app is not running, is the icon in the notification bar still visible or has it vanished as well?

Timmay
on: July 5, 2011 (GMT)

I’m after digging out the cheap ebay bluetooth dongle that I got ages ago, and connecting this to the vehicle instead. Torque picked up the protocol no problem after a stop using this! So it must be a problem with the obd key (http://www.obdkey.com) dongle that I am using! Do you have any idea what the issue might be with this? I had a quick look on their website, but didn’t find any sort of firmware update for it (if it has a firmware, I’m not sure?).

Edit: I’m just after looking on your wiki page, I didn’t know that the OBD key device is not officially supported by torque? I just assumed that it was, because its from a reputable manufacturer. Are there any other specific issues you know of with this dongle, or have you ever come across on? I have a few of them from use with a previous college project I did, if you are interested in borrowing one to test yourself, I can post you over one for a few weeks etc.

Jim7673
on: July 18, 2017 (GMT)

This is my problem, I leave the Samsung Note 5 on all the time in the truck. When I turn the engine off it obviously will not connect to the ECU. But when I restart the engine the Torque Pro will never reconnect unless I end the application and restart or unplug the adapter and plug it back in.

Why cant it sleep and retry again after xx min which could be configured in the OBD settings?

OpaLothar
on: June 1, 2021 (GMT)

Hi,
i have the same problem using the dashboard while driving.
If torque looses the connection, it never tries to reconnect.

So i need to leave torque and call it again. this is not good during driving.

if you can make a reconnect button as long as there is no connection it will be safer.

OpaLothar

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.054 seconds.

Follow me on twitter