Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Chrome OS?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chrome OS?
xxfallacyxx
Post Chrome OS?
on: June 14, 2011 (GMT)

I was one of the lucky individuals who got a Google Chrome CR-48 netbook from the open beta trials. The little thing is quite handy with it’s long battery life and wifi/3G connections, coupled with it’s light weight. Having a larger screen to view readouts on would be nice, but I’m not really in the market for a tablet at the moment.

Just curious if there’s been thoughts as to porting the app to other platforms, be it an Apple OS, Windows OS, or Chrome OS.

Also, if there is already a topic on this, I missed it in my search heh.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Chrome OS?
on: June 14, 2011 (GMT)

If google want to send me a chome os thingy, then it should be (hopefully) relatively trivial to port Torque to it if it supports java/dalvik

I’ll probably have a look at one when they are released though, as the likleyhood of getting hold of one before they are released (outside the U.S. – I’m in the U.K.) is probably low to very unlikely indeed :)

xxfallacyxx
on: June 16, 2011 (GMT)

Awesome!

Well I suppose I’ll leave some reading material. I know that the Chrome web browser does support Java, and Chrome OS is essentially the Chrome browser acting as a GUI on top of a modified linux base. So Java support should be there, though I couldn’t find a direct answer to that question in my own searching.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html

It describes more about java in chrome apps via the links on the left side of the screen.

Also, thanks for the timeliness of your replies and your willingness to implement new features into this project of yours. I can say I was quite please and surprised when not long after I requested truncating log values that an update came out including that option.

piemmm
Administrator

Thats because I saw your suggestion :)

One note on the chromebooks – if they are purely a web-solution for running online web-apps (and nothing runs natively on the host CPU) then it’s unlikely to support the Torque app. But I haven’t looked closely enough to be certain on that yet.

xxfallacyxx

I believe you’re right, there’s not much that will run natively on Chrome OS, but there are a few things. With my CR-48 I can gain the option to install things to the hard drive via running it in developer mode, so I’m curious to see how long it would take after an official release (pending soon actually) for people to share code to essentially root the OS.

It’d be a pain to ask you to write code for that just-in-case-it-happens scenario, despite it’s likelihood.

Sébastien
on: June 29, 2011 (GMT)

Looks like there’s also NativeClient to consider for better performance than pure web based app.
http://code.google.com/chrome/nativeclient/

But not sure if it let you run the app 100% offline

France

qbuster
on: July 9, 2016 (GMT)

The potential of Chrome OS has changed dramatically since the previous batch of posts (in 2011).

1. There is a straightforward Remote Control plugin that allows one to run a remote computer from Chrome OS – I use it daily and that means one can run any app remotely if it is installed on a PC)

2. There are apps/extensions that facilitate running Android APK directly on a Chrome OS machine

3. Most important however, is that Goggle have announced a Chrome OS upgrade (presently available on a handful of machines but due for wider distribution this autumn) which will allow Android apps from Google Play to run natively.

Regards

Will Chapman

Jarvid
on: April 11, 2022 (GMT)

It has been a few years since the last post. I cannot find a post that confirms if Torque Pro works on Chrome OS. I was using it on an Android device but am looking to upgrade.

If I purchase A Chrome OS Tablet (more flexibility than Android) will Torque Pro run like it does on Android?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.

Follow me on twitter