Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Arduino & OBD2

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arduino & OBD2
tbd_evora
Post Arduino & OBD2
on: December 22, 2016 (GMT)

Is there a way to use OBD-2 data through an ELM and supplementary data collected through an Arduino simultaneously?

Background is, I want to record the OBD engine data, but augment this with data not available through the OBD-port, such as brake sensor, oil temp, oil pressure, etc (which I would collect through the Arduino).

Alternatively, would it be possible to use the Arduino as a pass-through to the ELM, but adding in the supplementary sensors.

kentkallsen
Post Re: Arduino & OBD2
on: December 24, 2016 (GMT)

Bump – I want to do the same thing. Would like to capture wideband O2 sensor and some aftermarket oil pressure & temp gauges.

kduff9
on: December 26, 2016 (GMT)

I’m also researching this, and would be very interested in using an Arduino to pass ELM data while adding new data sensors not connected to the ECU.

Mike321
on: December 6, 2017 (GMT)

Engine Coolant Temperature isn’t available for my truck and I ran across the Arduino information as well.

Has anyone tried this yet?

1999 Ford 7.3

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 7, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

You can do it by writing a plugin (using the AIDL interface pinned in the forum) – this will let you feed data directly into Torque from any plugin you write – this is currently available to be used (basically you can feed data into the app this way)

At the moment you can only connect one ‘OBD’ device at a time, though I’ve had enough requests on this now that I’m probably going to add an additions connection dialog for any Arduino boards as well in an update

Mike321
on: December 8, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from admin on December 7, 2017
“Hi!

You can do it by writing a plugin (using the AIDL interface pinned in the forum) – this will let you feed data directly into Torque from any plugin you write – this is currently available to be used (basically you can feed data into the app this way)

At the moment you can only connect one ‘OBD’ device at a time, though I’ve had enough requests on this now that I’m probably going to add an additions connection dialog for any Arduino boards as well in an update”

That is fantastic news! I am going to order the supported parts in the Wiki to get it started on my end.

1999 Ford 7.3

anko
on: December 9, 2017 (GMT)

As a matter of fact, I’ve been doing this for quite some time now. In my case, TP gets information from no less than three OBDLink MX adapters + information from a Raspberry PI about power consumption of my house and the charger of my PHEV car.

My approach has been to build a little proxy program that sits on my phone (could sit on the Arduino or Pi as well) that presents itself to TP as an adapter (listen to port 35000 and all 😉 ).. You can have your own set of extended PIDs in TP and map these to whatever data you like in the proxy program.

The biggest difficulty is to teach the proxy program to provide all the right answers when TP is setting up the connection. Like: respond to ATZ, ATSP0, ….. There are quite a lot of questions asked by TP and it will take a while before you learn how to answer all of them and make TP believe your proxy is actually a connected OBD adapter.

It would be very nice if TP had a mode when you could tell it to not do any of the AT commands. Just send PIDs and listen to responses.

Never knew about the plugin, though. Will look into this next, as it might be an easier solution.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.164 seconds.

Follow me on twitter