Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » OBD2 on Japanese Cars

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: OBD2 on Japanese Cars
cwa
Post Re: OBD2 on Japanese Cars
on: September 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi,

I have a PLX as well blue OBD adaptor. I tried it out with few Japanese and Korean vehicles. Most of the Japanese domestic models did not worked except Prius (It uses canbus). However Korean cars worked. I think issue is Japanese domestic models does not support OBDII (it support JOBD which is slightly different)

piemmm
Administrator
on: September 17, 2011 (GMT)

JOBD is also supported and should work with the app, it’s only slight differences which are still supported in Torque

mattf
on: September 18, 2011 (GMT)

Zafar I am driving an ST215 caldina and havn’t had success connecting either (cheapo blue dongle/torque works on all other new OBDII cars I have tried it on). What is this other program you are using to communicate with your ECU?

There seems to be very little info around about JDM cars and OBDII. My very limited understanding is they tend to use their own protocols for each manufacturer. But as someone already mentioned there are jap plug in modules that work with just about any JDM car (blitz r-vit etc etc…)

Torque is a great app but if it can be made to work with JDM models (if that’s even possible) it would open up a massive new user base….

piemmm
Administrator

What are the ages of vehicles that you are trying with?

It sounds like the some of the vehicles you are trying are not OBD2 compliant, but are using the manufacturers proprietary protocols, unfortunately torque (at the moment!) only supports OBD2

However, the app does have the capability to support other protocols. I’m currently looking at VAGCOM/VCDS style protocol support for VW vehicles (when I get the ECU sat on my desk to start talking, this will be a lot easier!). Supporting other protocols depends entirely on gaining documentation for them (and the protocol itself being compatble with the diagnostic adapters as well). Unfortunately manufacturers aren’t great at letting people have access to the documentation for this, so it has to be worked out from first principles (which can take a *long* time, and scouring the internet)

mattf

My car is a Toyota Caldina ’00 (JDM grey import). Have had no success talking to the ECU.

I have had success on:

Ford Falcon ’08, Toyota Aurion ’11, Mazda ute ’11 (all Aussie made or sold)

Also failed to connect on a Toyota corolla ’06 (manufactured in Japan but Australian delivered model).

Having looked at the Blitz r-vit car list (http://www.blitz.co.jp/new-product/r-vit_i-color.pdf) it seems to list all cars it supports and the protocol used. Most just say “toyota” or “subaru” etc hinting they use their own protocols. Whereas some are listed as being ISO or CAN etc etc.

zafar
on: September 19, 2011 (GMT)

Hey Ian,
Debug info sent look for Japanese in the title. What info do you need for the protocol i have access to a 500mb video of how to extract the toyota JDM protocol from techstream plus lots of other data.(I can be the workhorse to get any all data you need)

Mattf,
Let me get some consistent results with the program(s) then i can share the program.

zafar
on: September 21, 2011 (GMT)

Hey Ian,
Any chance to look at the logs?
requesting permission before i give out the names of the software i have used to connect to JDM cars. They are windows based but have mentioned they will remove an android app in the coming months.

mattf
on: September 23, 2011 (GMT)

Is there any progress on this? There doesn’t seem to be much support/interest in getting this working?

ogie
on: October 25, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

I have the Kiwi Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and works with Torque and I had some success testing with some cars:) I use it with my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

But I tried it with Toyota Fortuner 2008 and Toyota Rav4 2002 and could only connect with the adaptor. Are these cars supported? What to do?

Oh, please advise if this should be another topic 😀

Thanks!
Ogie

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 25, 2011 (GMT)

Torque works on both those vehicles in the UK, US, and most of EU (as well as other countries). However it depends in your country if the manufacturer has disabled access to the OBD2 sensors on those vehicles.

In Japan, some nissans are also disabled in this way (but not all). If the app says that the sensors have been disabled, then only using the manufacturers non-OBD2 protocol (ie: nissan consult) will work, unless you re-flash your ECU to add OBD2 support

ogie
on: October 26, 2011 (GMT)

ohhhh… :(

okay, will try to ask the local dealership to confirm. Will keep you posted:)

thanks for the prompt reply! :)

Caldina st215
on: November 16, 2011 (GMT)

I also Have a st215 Caldina 98. Would be much appreciated if someone smart can crack the protocol out, would love to get torque running with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/bp_me/octane%20stuff/HPIM0135small.jpg

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 16, 2011 (GMT)

That’s an OBD2 style connector, but it doesn’t mean that the vehicle is OBD2 compliant – basically OBD2 covers signalling, connectors, and the requests to the ECU for data, a standard requiring a couple of standards :)

Torque can now talk more than OBD2, so if someone enterprising can document other protocols, I can add support for them (providing there is an interface adapter that supports it)

nippit
on: March 11, 2012 (GMT)

Hi,

I think I have the same problem.

I have a Nissan Xtrail 2007. I am in Singapore and this is a Japan made car. I am not sure about the protocols.

I have tried it with the free version.

The free version indicated that it does not work with some Nissan cars. Paid works with wider so I purchased the full version.

Still same problem application fails to identify the protocol.

I have tried other applications which gave no know PIDs find error.

I guess my Nissan does not have OBD.. sad..

is there any way to check the nissan protocol?

thanks

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 11, 2012 (GMT)

Nissan have their own protocol, but unfortuantely at the moment it’s not compatible with any of the adapters our there – they aren’t capable of it

If someone makes an adapter that can talk to their proprietary signalling, then it will be possible to add support

VVF
on: April 4, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!
Is this problem for all Nissan X-Trail?
I have Nissan X-Trail (T-30, QR20, 2006 year of build), was made for Europe.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

No, cars destined for the european markets will be OBD2 compliant due to legislation, so a Nissan sold in Europe or the US will be OBD2 compliant, but the same vehicle sold in japans domestic market may not be

If you are in europe or the US and have a nissan within the legeslation date range which is OBD2 compliant, then the app will work with it, so I would expect your Nissan to work as it should be OBD2 compliant.

Usually when it isn’t working it’s down to one of the following problems:

* A faulty adapter (possible if it’s a clone)

* The wrong bluetooth device being selected in the settings. (and a handsfree kit accidentally being selected or something along those lines)

* The protocol being changed from ‘Automatic’ in the vehicle profile settings to something that isn’t the vehicle protocol

* The vehicle not being OBD2 compliant

VVF

I have ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and your program from Android Market.

I used Adapter and Android device for checking another car (Volkswagen Golf II), all working properly.

But, if i check my car, there are few message on my Android device.

lornetw
on: April 16, 2012 (GMT)

Re; Toyota Matrix 2005. Hi just wanted to let someone know what worked for me. I bought this adapter (link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLCGF8/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title) (for 23 dollars + 10 dollars for shipping) for use with my Toyota Matrix 2005 and an Acer Iconia Tab A100 Android tablet. I live in Canada (which country you live in might make a difference on the OBDII compatibility of your automobile). I wanted to use it with Torque,both the free and paid for versions – great app by the way ! I finally got it working and it works very well. You first have to pair the OBDII adpater with your Android (using 1234). When I first tried using Torque, my Iconia said ”Paired but not connected”. Then I went into the configuration of Torque as follows : when you first open Torque, press the parameters icon (on my Iconia it was the second icon to the right of the Home icon – it looks like a little spreadsheet grid), then press ”Settings” and finally press ”OBD2 Adapter Settings”. I activated the ”Faster communication” parameter and since then has worked well.

The only reason I didn’t give this product (the OBDII adapter) a 5 star rating (afer all, it did work as advertised) was the complete lack of documentation (what do the LED lights mean?) Also, I wish the makers of these adpaters would make it power-down (cut off the power) when the ignition is not on – the adapter will eventually drain your battery if you leave it plugged in. Hope this has been of help.

I am a teacher of CNC machinists. I make simple apps for my Windows Mobile phone using BASIC4PPC.

VVF
on: April 23, 2012 (GMT)

Thank you! I try, but no have result yet.
Official dealer answered to my question about my car – EURO OBD2.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.071 seconds.

Follow me on twitter