Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » MPG(avg) Resetting every trip

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MPG(avg) Resetting every trip
packsa
Post MPG(avg) Resetting every trip
on: June 3, 2011 (GMT)

Hi everyone just recently started using this superb app. but the mpg average seems to reset with each use, Is there any way of storing the figures until you refill your tank.Also if the dev is listing i think an average speed figure for each trip would be quite cool.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: MPG(avg) Resetting every trip
on: June 3, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Yes, the MPG is reset each trip/connection by design. I’ll have a think about the best options to give you a long-term MPG for the next couple of versions (it wont make it into this weekends I’m afraid)

econotruck39p
on: June 5, 2011 (GMT)

long-term fuel economy statistics and the ability to log data will be great features.

piemmm
Administrator

There’s already data logging in the app, whereby you change a setting in Torque and that can rotate the log CSV files each trip so they will be saved with a timestamped filename on your SD card. You can then copy these back to your computer.

You can also set it to start logging when the app connects to the ECU, you can even send logging information to Twitter :-)

I’ll see about adding a long-term average to the vehicle profile – need to have a think about it first. You should be able to use the CSV/File logging for long-term logging at the moment in the meantime though until I get around to adding the feature.

manolis

Can logging be made by the user whenever he likes or pause it and start it sometime later(I mean an updare btw)?Cause most times i am at car and till i reach my home to enable the wifi someone calls and cancel the upload or i press something and i cancel the update.Also i have the csv in my sd,can i upload it on the site from my computer so i can check the graphs, as i cant make any sense out of the excel form :)

GeneO
on: January 5, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from admin on June 3, 2011
Hi

Yes, the MPG is reset each trip/connection by design. I’ll have a think about the best options to give you a long-term MPG for the next couple of versions (it wont make it into this weekends I’m afraid)

Its been awhile since this was posted. Will this be available anytime soon?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

File logging can be started/stopped whenever you want, it is under full control of you (unless you told the file logging component to start/stop automatically – all configurable in the settings). You can start/stop logging by using the ‘toggle logging’ menu item in the realtime information screen – this has been present in the app for about a year :-)

Yes, there was progress on MPG – the new function ‘Trip Recording’ can remember short breaks between trips (so you can get it to record the average automatically if you tell it to record fuel consumption data in the settings).

There is also a ‘long term’ MPG average in the app – just add the MPG average display and it should remember it for that vehicle profile – not the ‘trip average’ display (which averages per trip) but the ‘MPG Average’ display. It will not show any figure until you connect to the ECU, but it is set to remember the long term average (which is saved in the vehicle profile). It was added about 2 weeks after the original post and I will double-check that it is still correctly working.

GeneO

After driving today I looked at the torque vehicle profile file on my phone. It has:

lastMPG=0.0

Is there something special I have to do to get torque to save the Ave MPG there?

GeneO
on: January 6, 2012 (GMT)

bump

GeneO
on: January 7, 2012 (GMT)

Can this be fixed?

BTW, I don’t know how you are picking up from the previous average if you are calculating a running average – you are not saving enough information. You also need to save the number of samples, N, that the saved Ave was calculated with. Then the average for the next data point is
(N*Ave +x)/(N+1) Where x is the new instantaneous mpg data point, Ave is the saved average, and N is the number of data points that saved average was based on.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 9, 2012 (GMT)

Yes, it should be that – there’s a small fix I’m putting into the next update for the long-term stored averages (which is just pending testing at the moment)

Nitrowolf
on: January 9, 2012 (GMT)

Yeah, it’s not saving MPG between trips. The Avg MPG display and Trip MGP display show the exact same data, always.

corvairbob
on: July 12, 2017 (GMT)

3 years later and it still is not working yet. or did i miss a setting somewhere?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.

Follow me on twitter