Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » No fuel consumption while freewheeling

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No fuel consumption while freewheeling
pikmin
Post No fuel consumption while freewheeling
on: September 30, 2016 (GMT)

Hi,

I’ve spotted an oddity which happens while I’m freewheeling – sometimes if I’m driving downhill I’ll put the clutch in, take my foot off the accelerator and let gravity do its work. The engine speed falls to idle and instantaneous fuel consumption drops to around 1l/hour in my car (a 1.1l petrol Citroen Saxo).

If I’m going at say 50mph the calculated MPG will show around 225 – all is well and good. If I exceed approximately 55 to 60mph then the MPG will exceed 255 which is the maximum displayed value. However, when the MPG exceeds 255, the instantaneous fuel consumption then drops to 0, which can’t be correct because the engine is idling and must be using fuel.

To be clear, I’m not talking about coasting with the clutch engaged and my foot off the accelerator – this does cause the fuel status to show “open cycle – deceleration” and Torque to correctly show no fuel consumption. This issue happens when the clutch is disengaged and the engine is idling, but while I’m still travelling at speed. When it happens Torque will still show normal (i.e. blank) for fuel status.

The erroneous zero fuel consumption is present in the logs and the total fuel consumed does not increase when this happens, so it appears to be a calculation issue, not just a display issue.

Does anyone else see the same problem? Can I safely say this is a bug in Torque rather than a quirk of my car?

-Tom

pikmin
Post Re: No fuel consumption while freewheeling
on: October 6, 2016 (GMT)

I had the opportunity to try this in a hire car the other day, a Skoda Octavia 1.6 diesel, and exactly the same thing happened when the MPG exceeded 255.

It looks to me like this is a bug in Torque – whenever the calculated MPG goes over 255 the fuel consumption is assumed to be 0 regardless of whether it is or not. Any chance this can be fixed in an upcoming version?

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 7, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

It’s because the fuel used is so small it is difficult to accurately detect with several sensors in some engine configurations, so it’s simply pegged when the app says 255, the fuel use is put as 0

I will increase the ‘255’ to a larger value in the next beta version, though this does require careful testing before it can go live

Edit: done, ready for the next beta update

pikmin
on: October 10, 2016 (GMT)

Hi. Thanks for the response, and for very quickly implementing a change!

I look forward to trying it out, is it possible to get hold of the beta versions for testing?

However, I’m not completely convinced that the fuel consumption needs – or should – be clamped at 0 when the MPG exceeds a certain value. In my case the fuel consumption when the engine is idling is calculated to be about 1 litre/hour – I understand there will be inaccuracies and errors in this, but it seems reasonable. Either way, Torque is happy to tell me the consumption is 1l/h when I’m stationary, so it doesn’t seem to make sense to suddenly decide to say the consumption is 0 just because I’m travelling at 60mph when the engine is still idling the same.

Increasing the MPG limit as you’ve suggested should do the trick though.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.

Follow me on twitter