Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » ODB2 Adapters that work with GM Trans Fluid Temp

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ODB2 Adapters that work with GM Trans Fluid Temp
olecarmech
Post ODB2 Adapters that work with GM Trans Fluid Temp
on: September 26, 2016 (GMT)

Hello,

I see a lot of Torque Pro users are unable to see trans fluid temp on later model GM cars. The answer is always add a custom pid and many times the pid values are mentioned. I have Torque Pro going back to 2014 and the pids are included, the same ones many say to add. You can add a gauge then set it to use one of the 2 already included for GM vehicles.

Trans fluid temp GM method 1 & 2. Pid 221940 Equation A-40 for both method 1 & 2. Header Auto for 1 & 7E2 for the other. In my case I go into the edit option of these pids and click the Test option and ‘No Data Returned’ results.

In order to check or set the correct transmission fluid level in many of the newer GM cars, you need the fluid to be the proper temp otherwise you could fill it too much or too little when changing it.

Could anyone who has a GM that uses Torque Pro that actually gets it to display trans fluid temp let us know which OdB2 adapters you’re using including version number and maybe a link to the actual one?

It would be nice if someone from Torque would clear this up as they must know what works if they put 2 special GM pids in their system.

There’s a lot of clones out there. I found that ELM the company that makes the ELM327 code never made a 1.5 but there’s 1.5’s out there. Also the original ones weren’t copy protected so there’s clones out there and may report a newer version while actually being 1.2.

I have one of those blue mini ELM327 v2.1 adapters that doesn’t report trans fluid temp, oil temp, outside air temp and many other sensors but does work fine for std odb2 info. I bought the latest Torque Pro app for android. I also saw an earlier 2016 youtube video where the guy says don’t use a 2.1, use 1.5 as 2.1 isn’t as compatible.

Thanks!!

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: ODB2 Adapters that work with GM Trans Fluid Temp

Hi!

The adapters are PID agnostic (they are passthrough for that purpose and only handle communication with the ECU such as establishing the ‘connection’ to it and sending/receiving data with the right protocol format)

The PID itself is not dependant on the adapter. This means that it’s possible that GM have changed the location of the PID in newer vehicles and it needs to be found again

There is also an ‘other’ predefined PID list with an alternative setup for the transmission temperature which *might* work (or may just read the coolant temp) it’s called ‘Transmission Temperature(Method 3)’ at the end of the name

Also, it could be that some GM/Toyota transmissions require the gearbox to not be in neutral before the temperature can be read

Capp777
Post Re: ODB2 Adapters that work with GM Trans Fluid Temp

If your vehicle is not working for the
mode 22 pids, its likely your late model
vehicle is using manufacturer specific
commands e.g. GMLAN?

but as always I could be wrong!

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.015 seconds.

Follow me on twitter