Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Transmission temperature

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Transmission temperature
ccathey
Post Transmission temperature
on: September 21, 2016 (GMT)

I have an RV with a Workhorse chassis and the 4L85E Transmission. I am trying to read the transmission temperature with Torque Pro. It does not show that there is a sensor available when I look at the Adapter status info. Does that mean that it doesn’t have the sensor or is there a setting to show more sensors?

Capp777
Post Re: Transmission temperature
on: September 21, 2016 (GMT)

Torque Pro has a predefined set of pids
for GM that may be useful?

Menu>Settings>Manage Extra Sensors/PIDs

Menu>Add predefined set…

Doing this from memory so my wording
may be a little off.

Once added you can:

Edit the desired pid to test for a response.

If successful go back to realtime dashboard
to add using its longname.

jozw30
on: September 24, 2016 (GMT)

I wish someone would come up with a definitive solution for the trans temp issue. I see a lot of people having trouble and never a clear resolution. I see some people get it to work?

I have a 2006 LS2 and 4L65E out of a GTO that I am trying to get the trans fluid temp on the APP. I found the GM PID, and have a gauge for it set up but it does nothing…….

How can you find out whether the trans or ECM actually supply info through the OBDII?

Frustrating. Went with Torque app and an android phone specifically because it had this feature (none of the IOS apps had trans temp)…….

olecarmech
on: September 24, 2016 (GMT)

Same problem here. I can connect with the odb2 ELM327 2.1 Mini adapter ISO15765-4 CAN11/500 via Bluetooth and it shows a lot of info ie coolant temp, oil pressure, rpm but no trans temp, trans oil temp, oil temp, outside air temp. I’ve done all the things already mentioned. The pids in Torque Pro show but say no data returned as well as in the Torque Scan addin.

I have a late model Impala so you’d think the sensors are there.

Do some ODB2 adapters only return basic data thru Torque Pro ie. coolant temp, oil pressure etc and not the other temps? If so, what can we look for in an adapter that will report all these pids so we won’t keep buying ones that only work half way?

Is it possible the extra Pids are turned off in the ECU or are they always available to report?

Thanks

jozw30
on: September 25, 2016 (GMT)

Well I’m hoping the guys from Torque read this and can offer some help?

Main reason I joined the forum……

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

If your manufacturer doesn’t support the generic transmission temperature PIDs, then you’ll need to look for the Mode 21, or Mode 22 PIDs specific for your manufacturer (each manufacturer has it’s own definitions for mode 21,22)

This will include:

PID
Equation
Units
and a header, if it’s relevant

So you’ll look for something like:

PID: 221234
Equation: A+(B*255)+C+D+E
Units: Deg.C
Header: 7E8

But obviously this will be different for each manufacturer.

You can then enter this in the ‘Manage extra PIDs/Sensors’ part of the settings. Once you add a sensor, it will then become available in the main list of sensors when you add a display in the ‘Realtime Information’ screen (it will usually highlight green when receiving data)

The PIDs are adapter agnostic

jozw30

Really appreciate the help!

Not to sound stupid (this is all new to me), but are you saying that the GM transmission temp PID’s that are in the APP (I have tried these) may not work for my Trans and I should look for one of these generic PIDs and try it?

Apologize to the OP for high jacking his thread!

Joe

jozw30

Just read a post on LS1tech/com that said the PID was:

Do I just search for that somewhere in the APP, or do I still have to figure out the other info you list above?

Joe

jozw30

I also just read that 221940 is the “GM method 1” PID and the one I have loaded which doesn’t do anything……back to square one…..

Wish there was a way to determine if the 4l653 sensor even reporter to the ECM.

Might just be wasting my time.

Capp777

What protocol does your vehicle use?

(Torque actually has two extended pids
for TFT using different headers).

jozw30

Not sure what you are asking?

Capp777

Look under adapter status icon functions
while connected to see protocol in use.

It makes a difference as to what header
to use.

jozw30

OK, I will go out there in the next day or so and look at this.

Thanks!

olecarmech
on: September 26, 2016 (GMT)

Hello,

I see these posts all over the internet that the GM Trans Fluid Temp doesn’t work and the responses are all the same, need to add the correct custom pid. We’re talking about GM Cars, not some obscure car only a handful of people own. Torque Pro doesn’t work with a Chevy Impala, a car that been around since the 60’s?

At least going back to 2014, Torque Pro has the GM PID’s included. You can see them in the custom pid section. You can add a gauge and find the ones there for the trans fluid temp. Don’t need to add anything. There 2 of them. Trans fluid temp method 1 & 2 221940 Equation A-40 for both method 1 & 2. One has Header Auto & the other has 7E2. This is the same settings everyone always says to set a custom pid to even though they’re already included. You can clear the list of custom pids then re-add the GM ones and the same ones are put back.

Either the Torque Pro app can’t handle GM cars for this even though they list 2 PID’s for them or something doesn’t work with the OdB2 adapters which seems most of them are clones and is difficult to find a real one.

The reason the trans fluid temp is important for GM cars is you can’t check the fluid level any more even though there s stick for it in the later models. The owners manual says need to take it to the dealer as it’s too complicated for the avg person. It’s filled from the factory and unless it’s leaking, doesn’t need to be checked. If you want to change the fluid how do you know how much to fill it. You can only fill it to the proper level if the fluid is the correct temp and the only way you can find that is with either an ODB2 scanner that reports it or the 4000 dollar diag meter the dealership has. I think the owner of the car/truck should be able to change their own trans fluid if they want especially since the newer ones have a drain plug making it easier then dropping the pan.

jozw30

Not sure what your point is. I have added the GM PIDs from the custom menu (tried both). They load, I add a gauge, start the car and nothing happens……..

I have seen all of the posts too, no solution except that some claim that it actually worked for them.

As you said, either the app just doesn’t work or the GM trans doesn’t report temperature data…….

I guess if you can’t get a solution on the forum for the product itself, likely not going to find one.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

GM use several types of transmission systems in their vehicles and have also been known to use transmissions built by Toyota

Some transmission systems in GMs wont respond to PIDs until the vehicle is out of neutral and in drive. This may be why you are not getting a reading.

It also depends on whether or not GM have enabled access to the PID in your country (f you’re outside the EU/US, then it’s possible that the PID has been disabled)

There are 3 PIDs for transmission temperature in the app. 2 GM ones that have been used on GM vehicles, and a more generic one in the ‘Other’ set of predefined PIDs that may work if your transmission supports it (or may just report coolant temperature).

If you have a more recent GM vehicle, then it may be that the PIDs have been changed again. This means that the transmission temperature PID will have to be searched for again if none of the existing ones work for your vehicle

The best place to ask on a GM specific forum to see if anyone knows the PIDs for your make/model/year of vehicle if the existing PIDs in the app don’t work for your specific make. Unfortunately manufacturers do not put this information in the public domain so it has to be worked out, which does take time

olecarmech

Thanks,

I’ve been searching for days on GM sites and elsewhere and the same pids I mentioned 221940 are the only ones anyone has listed. But it’s not just the trans fluid temp that doesn’t work. Engine Oil Temp, outside air temp and many others. The Method 3 pid has been reported many places as coolant temp, not trans oil temp.

If Torque is selling an app maybe they should find the new pids if that’s the problem. They are in the position to do it not us. Maybe they should determine which years the pids they’ve included are for so we won’t waste hours and hours searching or scanning the car.

Here’s what I was getting at with the adapter. A few of the more expensive adapters support AW-CAN(GM). I don’t see that spec on any of the cheaper adapters or clones. Is this what the adapter needs to report these temps?

I read lots of reviews of adapters where someone asked if it reports trans oil temp and most of the replies are the OdB2 adapter only reports standard ODB2 codes. Most don’t report ABS codes either.

olecarmech

Quote from jozw30 on September 26, 2016
Not sure what your point is. I have added the GM PIDs from the custom menu (tried both). They load, I add a gauge, start the car and nothing happens……..

I have seen all of the posts too, no solution except that some claim that it actually worked for them.

As you said, either the app just doesn’t work or the GM trans doesn’t report temperature data…….

I guess if you can’t get a solution on the forum for the product itself, likely not going to find one.

I don’t think it’s the trans reporting the temp as the engine oil temp and outside air temp also doesn’t work. The trans oil temp has to report the temp as anyone working on the trans needs the temp to set the correct fluid level.

I put a different post out there asking for what adapters people have that actually get the trans oil temp for later model gm’s. I still think Torque should do this as they’re selling a product.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

I have to balance my time on working on new features in the app and working on bugs that people have reported (for example ECUs that don’t implement OBD2 correctly, or are problematic)

I have tried to make it as easy as possible for people to extend the app with PIDs if they know or find them. I have currently exhausted the resources I have for finding most of the transmission temperatures (which does consist of a lot of forum reading, and some playing with vehicles when I have access to them).

Unfortunately I don’t own a GM vehicle myself, so that limits my ability to add PIDs to the app

For the most part, when using Mode 21 and 22 PIDs, the adapters don’t matter (it’s all the same OBD2) they simply ask for the PID and the ECU returns it.

When you need to talk directly to other modules in the vehicle however then you start needing special adapters to do this (and also as it’s usually not OBD2 at that point, inside knowledge of how each manufacturers protocol to talk to those units, works)
OBD2 was bought into legislation to require manufacturers to adopt a standard diagnostic protocol, primarily for emissions testing only; they were not required by legislation/law to provide access to other systems, which is why PIDs have usually got to be worked out from scratch, as they’re not published

The app supports plugins so it can be extended by others (there are many PID plugins available for it for other vehicle makes/models). Also if the PID is found for your vehicle (or the reason why it’s refusing to show the transmission data) is known then I can also adjust the app to try to help with this

At the moment, if you send a debug (with all 3 sensors visble on screen when you connect, and the vehicle in gear (*take relevant safety precautions*) then I can have a look to see what the response is if any

You can send a debug by going into the app ‘General Settings’, clicking enable debugging, and then quitting and restarting the app.

Then go into the realtime information screen where you have already setup the 3 displays, let the adapter connect to the vehicle, then let it try to query those displays for a short while. Then press menu, send debugging information, and put your forum name in to the box that pops up (so I can locate the debug) and I’ll have a look to see where the issue is

I will however have another look this week to see if I can find any extra information for GM vehicles (and any others whilst I’m at it)

jozw30

That’s great! I will try to do that later today.

Thank you!

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.

Follow me on twitter