Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Android Auto

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Android Auto
jeremyahagan
Post Android Auto
on: September 14, 2016 (GMT)

Hi,

I’ve just got myself a new Pajero and it comes with a built-in Android Auto capability. At present it only support Audio Players, Text Messaging Apps and Navigation. I’m not sure what the requirements are to code your app for Android Auto, but it sounds like a match made in heaven.

Any plans for development on this?

Cheers,
Jeremy.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Android Auto
on: September 14, 2016 (GMT)

Hi!

Yes,…. but unfortunately it requires google to relax their restrictions on Android Auto (basically reducing the requirement to /not/ have animated stuff on the screen which is a ‘distraction’). (Torques needles moving around a dial is regarded as an animation)

As soon as the restriction is gone, then it’ll happen!

errorcode67
on: September 28, 2016 (GMT)

Lets hope they do it soon. I would love to be able to use Torque with Android Auto

xPosTech
on: October 3, 2016 (GMT)

Will simulating parking brake “on” bypass the no animation requirement? It’s a common mod some people do to enable DVD players while moving (yes I know it puts vehicle in self destruct mode).

No I don’t have a DVD. With Android Auto is navigation animated or are you limited to voice turn-by-turn?

Ted

ex Hardware Tech Support Engineer (retired)

Nagidal
on: December 10, 2016 (GMT)

Does Torque work when you enable the Developer mode of Android Auto? Then you can execute several more apps. You just go to the screen in which you have the button to return to your car’s infotainment system and it shows you some more options to execute developer apps, if you have any.

damorgman
on: February 12, 2017 (GMT)

Glad to see you guys are looking at adding it, first thing I thought after buying it was how cool it would be via Android auto.

Screech
on: February 17, 2017 (GMT)

I just got a new car that has Android Auto (AA) and I would really like a basic interface there that while moving I could start/stop logging. While stopped would be nice to configure what is logged and review logs.

I understand that Google is a little picky about approving apps for AA in the Play Store and that by default AA only allows apps from the Ply Store to work with. I found that in the developer settings of AA there is an allow unknown sources option, if this works like the allow unknown sources in security of the Android OS we should be able to get sideloaded apps (plugins) to work with AA.

Would be really nice if a plugin were made that required Torque Pro that could start/stop logging and maybe even a WiFi Camera and allow review while stopped.

1937dodgetruck
on: July 24, 2017 (GMT)

I own a 2017 Ford Escape and would also like to see Torque work on Android Auto. The animations in most cases would be similar to those on the instrument panel engine speed, road speed, direction. The android auto already displays movement when recordings are played with album covers song/author play time etc. showing movement as songs are played. Google maps on Android Auto also shows lots of graphical movement/

DeanGibson
on: January 20, 2018 (GMT)

Note there is now a Torque “plug-in” named OBD2AA, that installs via XDA-labs, that works with AA. However, I like Torque better, so perhaps an unofficial version of Torque (maybe with a different name) that could install via XDA-labs?

AlexP
on: October 16, 2018 (GMT)

First, hello! Newb here, been using Torque (Pro) for a while now and love it. I have an older car, a 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata that I plan on installing a new Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX head unit in. This head unit has WiFi connectivity to iPhone and Android Auto for screen mirroring. In addition to Torque I also have the iRadar app that connects to my radar detector. The radar detector because, well – you know why. It would be great to just pass the Android screen through to the head unit, perhaps working around Android Auto?

Re: the Google zero tolerance policy for animations – it is becoming clear that zero tolerance policies usually ends up as zero intelligence. My .02, ymmv.

Car enthusiast, mostly Miata but BMW, Corvette, trucks too.

Gadgetjq
on: June 4, 2019 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

Any update on this subject with a ‘new’ version of Android Auto set for release this summer? Hoping, hoping, hoping 😉

Cheers!

Host of Gadget’s Avalon Mods page full of tweeks and tips gadgetjq.net

padgett
on: October 6, 2019 (GMT)

It looks like the latest revision of AA has relaxed a number of restrictions. Play.google.com seems to list Torque Lite as an AA App. What is the real sitch please.

Orlando

bergcycle
on: November 19, 2019 (GMT)

Hi, I’ve got a 2018 NX Pajero and would love to use the Torque Pro app on it. I see it is available on the aftermarket replacement Idoing head unit (also an android unit) but not on the OEM unit. Any developments on making it available on the OEM unit yet?

ctaylor5
on: April 17, 2023 (GMT)

I don’t know about this restriction that google has but Waze has animation in it and it works on Android Auto.

I agree that having Torque accessible via Android Auto would be wonderful.

V12
on: April 26, 2023 (GMT)

ctaylor5 :
There is nice solution – let’s use Screen2Auto software, or other mirroring application. You need AAAD application for install Screen2Auto. AAAD is available on git https://github.com/shmykelsa/AAAD/releases

Aaaand small example – Ssangyong Korando with TorquePro in the action :

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.

Follow me on twitter