Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Gear Shift Display

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gear Shift Display
PwnedXJ
Post Gear Shift Display
on: May 23, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

I am not sure whether this is possible but I was wondering if you could add a feature where Torque can display the gear one is on. This would be particularly useful for some of the vehicles that do not show which gear the vehicle is on in the dashboard. This would prabably only be applicable to vehicles with Automatic Transmission….. My Jeep does not have the gear shift display and sometimes I cant tell whether I am on Gear 3 or 4 or Over-drive and would love to see this info. :)

PwnedXJ
Post Re: Gear Shift Display

Bumping this before it gets forgotten 😉

jerry

I’d like to see this as well.

Timmay

Hmmm in theory, if you log both the wheelspeed and engine RPM, and know the gearratios and work out the wheelsize/diff ratio, you can divide the RPM by the wheelspeed times the diff ratio, and this figure should correspond to the gearratio of whatever gear you are in!

In practice, easiest way to do it would require some sort of calibration mode I think, ie, you would need to drive at steady speed in 1st gear, and manually enter that you are in 1st, then repeat for 2nd/3rd etc. I might actually give this a shot this evening when I’m driving home, ie log both the OBD speed and RPM, and then drive in each of the gears for a set period of time and record when that is, and simple work out the ratio these two, and this figure should be a different constant for each gear!

I then suppose you could make a custom PID which samples:

(RPM/Wheelspeed)X gear ratio formula,

where the gear ratio formula related the actual gear you are in to the 5 calibrated constants that were measured. If you just truncate this value to an integer, It would just give out a 1,2,3,4,5 for each gear.

Of course the above will not work during clutch slip etc, and how well it will work with an automatic I don’t know.

piemmm
Administrator

It wouldn’t work on an automatic at all, which is why I’ve not done it :-)

What you actually want is the PID for the current gear. GM vehicles have this (its part of the predefined PID lists in the advanced settings), unfortunately for other vehicles it’s a case of going hunting for the relevant PID on interweb forums!

PwnedXJ

Ok thank you guys for the info. Now then the hunt is on for those elusive Chrysler PIDs……. 😉

piemmm
Administrator

I’ve had a *really* good look for chrysler PIDs, nothing useful as yet :-( if you find any, please share :)

piemmm
Administrator

The best place is to find them publically accessible on the internet (which is where I’ve been building up my (slightly limited) lists from as I find people talking about them on forums after google searching *lots!*

PwnedXJ

You are right Ian I understand. I will get into the world wide web and put my searching skills into some good use…. Thx :)

Diddy02
on: June 27, 2011 (GMT)

Ive searched high and low for the PID for a Mazda 5 for gears. I know on your competitor( command and dash, the opposite way) they have it sort of working with gear ratios, min rpm, max rpm, shiftpoint and wheel size.

Bravofox
on: June 29, 2011 (GMT)

I then suppose you could make a custom PID which samples:

(RPM/Wheelspeed)X gear ratio formula,

where the gear ratio formula related the actual gear you are in to the 5 calibrated constants that were measured. If you just truncate this value to an integer, It would just give out a 1,2,3,4,5 for each gear.

Of course the above will not work during clutch slip etc, and how well it will work with an automatic I don’t know.

I want to create a custom PID like this to use in my car with manual transmission. Any Idea what PID I can use? Or maybe a link to a proper guide that explains how to determined custom PID id’s. The info on this forum is a bit cryptic.

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 29, 2011 (GMT)

I need to change the equation parser to be able to pull data from other PIDs…. as quite a few people have asked, I will see if I can squeeze it into this weekends release

You’re correct about documentation being a little sparse. I’ve been keen on developing the app to make it as powerful as possible, and most good programmers can’t document their code very well :-), however, I might put something on the wiki once I’ve partitioned it a little more and then hopefully open it up so others can add useful information (I hope!). The Equations bit needs documenting. I will try to do this in the next couple of weeks once the parser has been updated.

metallifux
on: September 8, 2011 (GMT)

Hi all new here, i downloaded the free app and bought one of the bluetooth dongles off ebay as my car has been doing weird gear changes. For example it seems to not drop down into first when starting off and the other day while driving down the freeway at 100km/h it suddenly dropped down into 3rd. Anyway I was hoping to be able to see what gear my car is in i thought that since the gear changes are electronic the OBD2 would be able to output a gear number.

jgl
on: October 17, 2015 (GMT)

Quote from admin on May 23, 2011

What you actually want is the PID for the current gear. GM vehicles have this (its part of the predefined PID lists in the advanced settings), unfortunately for other vehicles it’s a case of going hunting for the relevant PID on interweb forums!
——————————————————–

Has there been any luck on this?

I’m looking into replacing my car stereo with an android tablet, and one of the things I was hoping to do is detect when I shift into reverse, to automatically activate a backup camera.

xPosTech
on: January 4, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from jgl on October 17, 2015
Quote from admin on May 23, 2011

——————————————————–

Has there been any luck on this?

I’m looking into replacing my car stereo with an android tablet, and one of the things I was hoping to do is detect when I shift into reverse, to automatically activate a backup camera.

You don’t need Torque to tell you you’re in reverse to activate the camera. Do it like the manufacturer does – tap the backup lamp circuit.

If you add an OR gate you could activate on demand to record the vehicle that’s tailgating you. :-)

Ted

ex Hardware Tech Support Engineer (retired)

Jeff452
on: December 6, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from Pwned-PS3 on May 23, 2011
Hi Ian,

I am not sure whether this is possible but I was wondering if you could add a feature where Torque can display the gear one is on. This would be particularly useful for some of the vehicles that do not show which gear the vehicle is on in the dashboard. This would prabably only be applicable to vehicles with Automatic Transmission….. My Jeep does not have the gear shift display and sometimes I cant tell whether I am on Gear 3 or 4 or Over-drive and would love to see this info. :)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the brilliant app.

I have a Smart Brabus Roadster which has a semi-auto box with paddle shift, it has an lcd display to show which gear you are in with up and down arrows to suggest gear change, so I’m assuming this info is in the SAM unit.

However, the display is quite small and tiresome to read, I have seen a large colour gear display on a Ferrari, perfect if you can afford one :)

Perhaps you could add this feature to Torque Lite

BMWboy
on: February 13, 2022 (GMT)

I would really, really like a little widget that shows which gear the car is in. I see you a busy developing the app now, fixing loads of bugs and I’m very hopeful you might pick up this feature request soon!

Vasilich
on: February 13, 2022 (GMT)

people, please, read the full thread before posting!
The author already explained above that there is no generic way to get this information. If you want it to get for your particular vehicle – search on forums for your car for the PID with gear number.

I also need some things to get from my car, but the author of Torque just doesn’t have that kind of information for all cars, so it makes no sense to ask him “add this particular parameter for my car” – even if he will make it, he will later get more questions/complaints like “this parameter doesn’t work for my/other car”….

Capp777
on: February 14, 2022 (GMT)

This thread may help…

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=8721.1

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.096 seconds.

Follow me on twitter