Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque grabs USB camera

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torque grabs USB camera
erroneus
Post Torque grabs USB camera
on: June 1, 2016 (GMT)

I have a Pyle Android head unit with three USB ports. One of the USB ports is for the OBD2 adapter and works fine. Another is for a USB DVR camera and the last is for a USB flash drive with all my music on it.

The DVR camera appears to be having some sort of conflict with Torque. At random times, Torque attempts to take control of the camera and when it does, the DVR app stops working. Torque pops up a message and says it has detected a USB device and asks if I want to use it. I Cancel and later on it reappears.

This is NOT what an application should be doing. At start up, perhaps it should check to see if its own relevant configurations have changed, but deciding what to do with a device when it appears is for an OPERATING SYSTEM to deal with, not an application whose access to the hardware should be THROUGH the operating system.

I can’t yet tell if the camera is the flaky device (it probably is) but at different times, Torque has also attempted to take over my USB flash drive as well.

I think Torque’s aggressive behavior with regard to USB devices should be more intelligent. For example, each USB device will have details which can identify it more uniquely. So if I change USB OBD2 adapters, Torque might see the old one removed and ask the user about it… “rescan for a new one?” And once scanned “assign this to Torque?” I don’t want Torque interfering with other activities in the head unit’s computer and it shouldn’t.

Why it wants to grab the video camera and the USB memory, I don’t quite know. It was clearly written that way for a reason.

I can provide screenshots (pictures taken with my phone) if needed.

erroneus
Post Re: Torque grabs USB camera
on: June 13, 2016 (GMT)

Apparently the developers do not care that their app is misbehaving. That’s a bit disappointing. I know the app isn’t expensive, but I did pay to have the pro version and all. What’s that worth?

Elgrand E50
on: June 13, 2016 (GMT)

It seems that if there is an issue that the developer can not fix it is ignored. Going through this forum I have noticed quite a few threads that this has happened with.

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 14, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

Can you tell me the USB device id that the camera identifies as?

If it identifies as a generic FTDI/Prolific serial device then there’s not much I can do (as torque recognises it can talk to devices that present as a serial usb VID/PID)

If you’re in linux you should be able to use ‘lsusb’ to list the device VID/PID for the camera, I can then have a look at what the issue is here and if it’s popping up for a VID that it shouldn’t be then I can stop it (unless it identifies as a serial device)

If you’re in windows, then depending on the version you’ll have to go into control panel, device manager, and it will be somewhere in the advanced part of that

(there may also be an android app to list the USB VID/PID as well)

However, the dialog for selecting applications when an USB device is an android thing, and doesn’t force you to use the device with Torque (you can simply press the back button when connecting the USB device and Android won’t start the app that’s been suggested)

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 15, 2016 (GMT)

Just a follow up,

Made a few changes in the next update due out and this should no longer grab your camera. Hopefully the update will be out by Monday

kevin.evans
on: January 1, 2017 (GMT)

I’m trying to get Torque to grab my USB camera and it won’t. I can’t even find where the settings are to use either camera or USB camera. Can someone tell me how to change the camera settings to another camera?

thanks

Using ASUS 10 tablet to run Torque Pro with Track Recorder and Microsoft USB camera since tablet is mounted below windshield

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.

Follow me on twitter