Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Emissions Readiness s/DTC - inconsistent display

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Emissions Readiness s/DTC - inconsistent display
djrichard
Post Emissions Readiness s/DTC - inconsistent display
on: April 18, 2016 (GMT)

Hi,

I’m using the “realtime Information” window in the Torque app to monitor emissions readiness. In two of my cars, I get what I would call the normal window, like this: http://i.imgur.com/PGtF73E.jpg

But in my 2002 Hyundai Elantra, I get a different window: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8ZOCwM_qSOGaEhEUzY4R0g4TjA which shows things like NOx/SCR Monitor, Boost Pressure, etc. This is a plain ol Hyundai, nothing special, so not sure why it is showing that.

Whats even more strange is that it doesn’t consistently show this different window for the Hyundai; the app will momentarily show the normal window which I linked to first. But it only flips to the normal window for a few seconds before reverting back to this different window.

Is this perhaps a bluetooth OBD that is not communicating correctly with the ECU? Or could it be something specific to the Hyundai?

Note: this Hyundai has an EVAP issue which I haven’t conquered yet. Replaced a lot of parts and am beginning to suspect it’s the PCM itself that is the issue. So I’m wondering if that’s related.

Thanks for any help!

– David

Capp777
Post Re: Emissions Readiness s/DTC - inconsistent display

I’m curious if your problem is similar
to the following thread…

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=6224.0

Since your vehicle is older, the protocol in use
may be different than the 2007 mentioned in
the post… which may require a different header
in the custom init string.

Is it possible that more than one module is
responding? (the point that I am trying to make).

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

It’ll show the normal window until the sensor data comes through from the engine which identifies it as a Diesel.

The readiness monitors for Diesels(Compression) are different to Petrol/Gasoline(Spark) engines. This is why you see the different display, because the values are different

djrichard

Hi Piemmm, thanks for the followup.

In this case, the car isn’t a diesel.

And in this case, the display mode keeps flipping back and forth: from diesel momentarily-to-normal and then back to diesel. And then do the same thing again about about every 20 seconds or so – the time varies.

djrichard

Capp777, thanks for the link. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a need for a header string. And I’ll chase that down. Cars in the shop for now. So that’ll have to wait a bit.

Still seems kind of strange though that I’d be getting the symptoms I’m getting, with the display repeatedly flipping back-and-forth by itself in a random fashion.

Thanks!

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 19, 2016 (GMT)

That’s interesting for me as it potentially means:

* There’s more than 1 ECU replying with the emissions monitors (with different information and thinking it’s a compression engine)

or

* The adpapter is faulty (it happens on the clones and they do come back with incorrect data, mainly when the wrong command is executed by the adpater itself)

A debug from you when you get the vehicle back would be *very* useful and I’d be able to see what’s going on!

You can get a debug sent by:

* Going into the ‘General settings’, scroll down, click ‘enable debugging’
* Restart the app
* Go to the realtime information screen with the defective display being visible – let it flicker for about 30 seconds, then press menu, send debugging information, and type your forum name (and ’emissions’) so I can locate the debug

I’ll then have a look and post back what i find (and fix anything if it needs fixing in the app)

Capp777
on: April 19, 2016 (GMT)

I would also be curious if Torque Lite
yields different results like the thread
linked above.

In the thread above, he was getting responses
from two different modules to the same
0141 pid and the correct module was
addressed as 7E7 not the usual 7E0 typically
used.

I suspect you may have a similar situation.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.

Follow me on twitter