Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » MS-CAN bus

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-CAN bus
Automate
Post MS-CAN bus with OBDLink MX
on: April 4, 2016 (GMT)

Can Torque Pro communicate with modules on the MS-CAN bus using an OBDLink MX? The OBDLink MX has a built in way of switching between HS-CAN and MS-CAN for use on Ford and other cars.

Automate
Post Re: MS-CAN bus
on: April 12, 2016 (GMT)

bump

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 12, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

Torque can do that via a plugin if someone wants to make one, but at the moment it’s not done by the app internally

A plugin can take control of the adapter from Torque to do what it wants to do, then when it’s done it can hand back control to the app.

Automate
on: April 16, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from admin on April 12, 2016 but at the moment it’s not done by the app internally

Then why does this post https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=5476.0

say “Note: to read this PIDs is needed an OBD adapter able to access MSCAN channel (eg. OBDLink MX)” with a list of custom PIDs to add into TP?

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 16, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

IIRC the adapter needs to be switched to MSCan for that PID to work (which as there’s no start/stop or switch command for it, I’m not sure if it does work).

However I have not played with the MSCAN side of the OBDLink adapters yet, so I could well be wrong on that – if it needs no switching then cool, it should work.

Automate
on: April 20, 2016 (GMT)

The commands to switch CAN protocols seem pretty simple, they are documented here https://www.scantool.net/downloads/118/mx_protocol_commands.pdf

So all that should be needed is something like this

STP 51

or change the 51 to 52,53,54 depending upon the number of transmit data bits(11 or 29) and DLC length (8 or variable)

Do you know which Ford uses?

Automate
on: April 21, 2016 (GMT)

I found this post https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=5430.0 from someone with a Mazda which probably uses similar protocols to Fords since this post https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=6656.0 includes an STP53 command to change to MSCAN bus.

Automate
on: June 25, 2016 (GMT)

Now that the diagnostic start and stop commands are working properly (version 1.8.94) I can confirm that using

Diagnostic Start Command
STP53
will switch to MSCAN bus

and
Diagnostic Stop Command
STP33
will switch back to HSCAN bus

in Ford/Lincoln and probably Mazda vehicles with the OBDLink MX

buckyswider
on: January 7, 2018 (GMT)

Hi! I know this is a bump from the past, but probably better than starting a new thread…

I’m trying to display data on my dashboard from a module on the MS-CAN bus (tire pressure readings from a 2010 Mariner, which is on the GEM/SJB module on the MS-CAN). It seems like there is a way to do this using a “Diagnostic Start Command” (which I can’t figure out how to do yet). But, if I’m reading this correctly, there’s no way for Torque to display readings from both HS-CAN and MS-CAN simultaneously.

Is that correct? If so, probably not worth it for me. Thanks!

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 7, 2018 (GMT)

Hi

Automate states that all you need to do is create a PID with the diagnostic start/stop commands (which switches to the MSCAN bus, then back to HSCAN afterwards) letting you quickly switch into getting an MSCAN value, then continue getting HSCAN data afterwards

This is one of the purposes of the start/stop command (to enter any special modes the ECU requires to get access to data), letting you effectively access several systems ‘at once’

But you will need an adapter that supports those commands to switch to/from the bus (like the Scantool.net OBDLink MX adapter which supports it)

JimmyM
on: December 27, 2018 (GMT)

I have a 2011 Ford Expedition using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter. All Other PIDs that I use for my truck work fine.
I’ve found several TPMS PIDs around and all are the same.
I’ve created a PID to read TPMS off the MS-CAN bus

PID: 222813
Name: TPMS Left Front
Short: LF TP
Min: 0
Max: 70
Scale 0
Unit PSI
Equation: (((256*A)+B)/3+22/3)*0.145
OBD Header: 726
Diagnostic Start: STP53
Diagnostic Stop: STP33

When I test the PID, I get -1 for both A and B bytes.

Can you confirm that these Start/Stop commands work?

Phil_in_NH
on: December 28, 2018 (GMT)

Jimmy – I got the TPMS commands to work on my 2011 Ford F150 (V8 – 5.0L), see my post here for details -> https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=7128.0

I didn’t use any Diagnostic start and stop commands.

I think my 2011 F150 is a newer engine generation so the ECU support might be different.

Good luck, Phil

Phil_in_NH
Realtime Charts Plugin Developer, outdoorsman, car guy, woodworker, software engineer, fly fisherman, cyclist

Get Realtime Charts for Torque Pro at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjt.realtimecharts_v1

Automate
Post Re: MS-CAN bus with OBDLink MX
on: February 14, 2019 (GMT)

Quote from JimmyM on December 27, 2018
I have a 2011 Ford Expedition using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter. All Other PIDs that I use for my truck work fine.
I’ve found several TPMS PIDs around and all are the same.
I’ve created a PID to read TPMS off the MS-CAN bus

PID: 222813
Name: TPMS Left Front
Short: LF TP
Min: 0
Max: 70
Scale 0
Unit PSI
Equation: (((256*A)+B)/3+22/3)*0.145
OBD Header: 726
Diagnostic Start: STP53
Diagnostic Stop: STP33

When I test the PID, I get -1 for both A and B bytes.

Can you confirm that these Start/Stop commands work?

============================================================

Try Equation: ((A*256)+B)/20

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.

Follow me on twitter