Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Missing Cleared/Permanent DTC history

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missing Cleared/Permanent DTC history
l10l
Post Missing Cleared/Permanent DTC history
on: April 2, 2016 (GMT)

Torque Pro’s fault scan is failing to report any DTC history that was stored on my 2005 Prius. This is with a Bluetooth ELM327 clone adapter for which Torque has accumulated zero errors/faults.

I have additional information that might help debugging, but wanted to find out: What would be most helpful?

Also, how do I get application debug logs? I found an old posting on turning on debugging through the “Realtime Information” menu, but I didn’t see any debug logs below there on the version of Torque I’m running (v1.8.81).

< Lionel

<Lionel

Embedded software and firmware guy with automotive CAN bus experience.

Capp777
Post Re: Missing Cleared/Permanent DTC history
on: April 2, 2016 (GMT)

Did you enable debugging under
settings general preferences?

l10l
on: April 8, 2016 (GMT)

After taking your clue that the instructions I read to turn on debugging were incomplete, I did gather and submit the app’s logs to demonstrate the problem. No response as yet.

Although I did find one similar-looking problem report ([no default or history dtcs][http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=3968.0]), one chief difference is that these are DTCs that Torque displayed when they were active or pending.

I wonder who else is effected by this problem. People may not know they’re being affected if they didn’t know that the DTCs had been set previously. I had been using Torque Pro for quite a while before I noticed the problem.

<Lionel

Capp777
on: April 8, 2016 (GMT)

Mode 0A is what you are looking for
according to Wiki.

I’m thinking Torque uses mode 03 to return
generic and legislated emissions DTCs.

Maybe Ian will consider adding the other
mode functionality? if he hasn’t already?

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 9, 2016 (GMT)

Hi!

Torque already has the functionality to read all the trouble codes from the vehicle including historic and does this automatically in the fault code reporting for you when you scan for faults. It retrieves any fault that was or is current(etc) in the ECU

If it’s not showing up, then it means one of two things:

* You’re using one of the bugged Chinese clone adapters that don’t work properly on CANBUS protocols (they can prevent some faults from being read)

* There’s no fault history stored in the OBD2 fault logs on the ECU and they have been cleared, or have expired as part of several driving cycles

l10l
on: April 13, 2016 (GMT)

So Torque does read mode 0x0A?

Would Torque have something in the debug logs I submitted to confirm that this solidly reproducible and silent problem is due to a bug in the adapter?

I presume all send/receive data, NRCs and whatnot would all be in the debug log. Correct? If so, I’d gladly look and report back if somebody can point me to the path where the logs are stored. I didn’t see a way to get at the debug log from within the application.

< Lionel

<Lionel

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

Yes.

Debug logs are sent direct to me from the app – enable debugging in the general settings, then restart the app. Connect, run the fault code request, then go to the realtime data screen, menu, send debug log and put your forum name in the dialog box so I can find you. I’ll have a look and post it’s response to confirm what’s going on

cintakc

l10l
on: April 20, 2016 (GMT)

I’m checking back to find out what the logs showed.

I most recently submitted logs taken with a ScanTool adapter, demonstrating that this isn’t a “cheap clone” problem.

Also, Torque has been failing to show history even when factory-type tools were showing previously-current codes known to be in the history (e.g., several in the P3000s, B1826, et al.).

<Lionel

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 20, 2016 (GMT)

Hi Lionel!

The logs you sent yesterday are from 1.8.81, which is an old version – can you update to the latest version?

There was an issue with the F150 option that affected fault code reading when disabled, which was corrected around 1.8.88, so if you update this should now be working for you!

From the 1.8.81 logs:

1461086054403 {– 0A
1461086054461 –} 7F0A11

the vehicle responded with ‘nope’ for the history request in that instance.

If you could update to the latest version (.91) that’d be cool to see if the problem is now fixed for you(it should be)

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 22, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

Got the latest debugs, thanks

From your debugs:

1461293423319 {-- 03 (current request)
1461293423422 --}  4300
1461293423423 --} +4300   -- nothing in the log. P0A80
1461293423423 --} +4300   
1461293423812 {-- 07  (pending request)
1461293423917 --}  4700
1461293423918 --} +47010A80   -- there's one pending code
Pending fault code found: P0a80
1461293423918 --} +4700
1461293423918 {-- 0A  (historic request)
1461293424039 --}  7F0A11
1461293424039 --} +7F0A11
1461293424039 --} +7F0A11     -- 7F is a negative reply to the request.

There was one code, but it was not historic, it was a pending code. There was nothing in the historic log – all the ecu’s replied with 7F reponses.

Bear in mind that historic codes do automatically clear themselves from the log after a number of driving cycles have been completed with no further problems. The same goes for pending codes.

l10l
on: May 4, 2016 (GMT)

I submitted debug logs which should include the problem, but this time I confirmed via TechStream that Torque was missing not only a DTC I knew was in history (B1826), but actually several including B1826 that were current!

Makes me wonder what IDs were involved in the log snippet you discussed above and what else might be going on. My guess based on this isolated snippet is that Torque broadcasts on 7df and only hears back from the three ECUs that respond to functional request IDs. But how does Torque pick up DTCs from the ECUs that only respond to requests made to their physical IDs?

Is there something I should be configuring manually with Torque?

<Lionel

Capp777
on: May 4, 2016 (GMT)

Those look like manufacturer specific
codes that are beyond the legislated
emissions and generic DTCs.

B1xxx.

I believe your TechStream was using manufacturer
specific commands to return the DTCs by status
and function.

Beyond the modes previously mentioned.

https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=4553.0

evangel
on: February 7, 2018 (GMT)

Hello,

I’ve a OBD bluetooth reader and Torque Pro.
I’ve had a problem with my vehicle for about a year, but I haven’t figured out yet …
It is almost certain that this problem is related to errors that came up on a trip a year ago.
The only problem was that I erased the errors and they did not emerge again.
I would like to know what error codes were erased, since I did not keep the record.
How can I access the history of ECU errors?
I it possible with Torque Pro? Even erased codes?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.

Follow me on twitter