Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » KIWI 3 not supported

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KIWI 3 not supported
sal1lopez
Post KIWI 3 not supported
on: February 28, 2016 (GMT)

Just received my new KIWI 3 and it will not connect to Torque. I think Torque needs to be updated, as it looks for the KIWI 2

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: KIWI 3 not supported
on: February 29, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

Torque supports the Kiwi3 as well out of the box. There is a small issue with Android 6.0.1 on nexus handsets preventing connection in some issues however if you’re using the latest version on any other handset it will work

Don’t forget to tell it what bluetooth device to connect to in the main apps settings

sal1lopez

Tried several times to no avail.. Torque is looking for the Kiwi 2D adapter(4C:55:CC:10:A9:2D), it doesn’t give me another choice. It searches, but it can’t connect to kiwi3.

I don’t know how to post a picture of my screen

sal1lopez

I have a Droid Turbo running 5.1

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 1, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

Are you using the latest version from Google Play?

sal1lopez

I do have the latest version of Google play. I removed the Torque app and reloaded it with the same result. It only has one option and that is Kiwi 2.

It is not not my Kiwi 3 as I tried OBD Car Doctor and it worked perfectly.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Can you post a screenshot (or email to ian@prowl.org) of the settings for the bluetooth device selection? as what you’re saying is a little odd and should not happen

If you have not paired the Kiwi3 to the phone (in the bluetooth settings) then it won’t show up.

A Kiwi2 would *only* show up if it’s been paired with your phone

Also make sure your vehicle profile has the ‘bluetooth adapter’ setting set to ‘As defined in global OBD2 settings’ as you may have accidentally selected a different device in there , then go to the main OBD2 settings and confirm the correct bluetooth device is selected (once you’ve paired the kiwi3 to the phone in the android settings)

panthar
on: March 11, 2016 (GMT)

“Kiwi 2D” is the identifier for the device, not the model number. My Kiwi 3, for example, shows up as “Kiwi 28”. The “2D” and “28” are just shortcuts for the last piece of the Bluetooth address. Looking at yours, the address ends in 2D (look at the address with pairs of letters/numbers separated by colons).

On a related note, I just picked up a Galaxy S7 running 6.0.1 and am having no luck getting it connected whereas the S6 on 5.1.x worked fine. Could this be similar to the Nexus connection issue and is there any way I could help pull debugging info to troubleshoot this?

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 11, 2016 (GMT)

Hi!

If you’re using Android 6.0.1 with the Kiwi 3 BLE adapter then you’ll need to update the firmware on the Kiwi3 adapter before it will work with that version of Android

PLX have information on the firmware upgrade needed – I’ve upgraded my device here and it’s working on 6.0.1, however because I’m not PLX, you’ll need to contact their support for the correct firmware version and update procedure

tzfardaya
on: March 15, 2016 (GMT)

Kiwi3 is supported out of the box, use the elm27 compatible tag in the settings, pair your phone with the kiwi3, then select which BT device in the torque settings as well.

Depending on your phone (mine is the nexus 6p) the kiwi3 may need a firmware update to work with your phone. (my 6p would not work before this update, no matter which android patch/version I used, my Nexus 6 worked using 6.0)

After the firmware update I now have a working torque/6p/kiwi3 setup. (took some finagling after the update to get everything working together though)

flanders

Great that it seems to be solved, is there any information on how this firmware update is done though?

tzfardaya

http://www.plxdevices.com/kiwi3firmware

piemmm
Administrator

It’ll work as long as the device is already paired to the phone (you won’t be able to re-pair it afterwards).

I have a small change to fix this in the next update in case you accidentally un-paired the device after the update, trying to get it all done before this weekend.

tzfardaya

Can be re-paired after the update, but requires using another app to “force” the BT on the kiwi3 to reset and be a bf all able for pairing…

Not overly difficult, just mildly annoying

Ian, I’m assuming you have a kiwi3 for testing, is your BT indicator light on the kiwi3 solid when you first seat the kiwi and turn the vehicle on? (before you connect the phone/tablet)

bosco

Have been using the kiwi 1 with torque pro on both a new samsung tab 4 and an older android phone…..great results, but with fairly low pid rates (around 16 per second). This on a 2007 ford.

Just tried to hook up a new kiwi 3…….utter frustration. Spent/wasted a few hours before going back to the kiwi 1.

Older phone would not even see the unit during the scan.

The new tab 4 would pick up the adapter every so often….but then had a very low pid rate (around 10 per second) and the obd adapter status would start showing connection issues with both the adapter and ecu, and the adapter and app. Went thru all of the trouble shooting steps as well as the ideas outlined here. Even updated the adapter firmware.

Tried to contact plx thru their website……nothing yet and no other way to contact them (just want to return it at this point)

I am starting to wonder if they really have a good handle on this device, or whether the kiwi 3 is very well designed.

I would certainly express caution before buying one.

For those whose kiwi 3 is functioning, what kind of pid rates are you actually seeing?

wed edit……finally found a phone number for plx…..they ended up sending me a response, which unfortunately was just a link to the manual….which I already had, and had already gone thru the debugging steps multiple times. Tried again with no luck. The adapter will pair with my tablet, and will connect with the torque app…..but runs very slowly and then disconnects from the app after 10-20 seconds.

Kiwi 3 is essentially useless for me………sounded promising but worse than the kiwi 1 in reality.

panthar
on: March 17, 2016 (GMT)

I’ll give the firmware update a shot. On my 5.1 device, it was rock solid with Torque so hopefully the firmware update helps. Thank you for the info on this.

panthar
on: March 18, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from tzfardaya on March 15, 2016
Can be re-paired after the update, but requires using another app to “force” the BT on the kiwi3 to reset and be a bf all able for pairing…

Not overly difficult, just mildly annoying

What steps are you doing to reset the pairing? The Kiwi manual says to update the firmware if your light is not blinking but did you do something different?

tzfardaya
on: March 20, 2016 (GMT)

After updating the firmware, I couldn’t get the BT light to flash, couldn’t get the kiwi to pair with my phone. (meaning torque wouldn’t work with it… Torque uses the system pairing to identify the obd2 device)

However, given my previous testing with various other apps, I knew that obd car doctor pairs the device in app, and doesn’t use the system pairings (wont work if the obd2 device is paired in system)

So, using obd car doctor, I was able to “force” the kiwi to reset the BT module… Connected to the kiwi via that other app, verified it was syncing… The closed the app completely.. Lo and behold, the BT light starts flashing after the disconnect…

Paired the kiwi with the phone, launched torque, and it works…

*however* if I ever disconnect the kiwi from the car it resets and I start all over again…

Cesco
on: March 21, 2017 (GMT)

It appears that Kiwi 3 have problems to be connected with apps running on Android 7, and Torque is one of these.

As stated in email dispatched to kickstarter bakers, PLX wrote:

My Kiwi doesn’t connect with my Android 7?

Currently with Android’s latest OS release there has been issues with some apps establishing a connection to vehicles. Although the Kiwi seems to connect to the smart phone, the apps do not connect to vehicles. We have done extensive testing to see if there is something on our end that we can do, all testings show the Kiwi 3 and the firmware is not the problem.
With non Android 7 devices, you should see your apps working well.
DashCommand and Torque are the two main applications that we see having issues since Android released Nougat (Android 7). However, we have found two good applications that work well with Android 7 devices. OBD Fusion and OBD Auto Doctor. We have reached out to DashCommand and Torque so this situation will get resolved. Be on the lookout for updates from those apps that may mention Android 7 or Kiwi 3 in their details.
Kiwi App development team is multi-testing to optimize the compatibility of Kiwi OBD to all different OS’s.

manolete8420
on: April 30, 2017 (GMT)

Hi!

I have the same problem. I’ve just send an email to ian@prowl.org with two screen captures showing that the app it’s not connecting to ECU when using an Android 7.0 Nougat.

Using a lower OS (Marshmallow and lower) it works great.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.082 seconds.

Follow me on twitter