Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » New Torque Pro Plugin - Realtime Charts for Torque

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Torque Pro Plugin - Realtime Charts for Torque
Phil_in_NH
Post New Torque Pro Plugin - Realtime Charts for Torque
on: February 20, 2016 (GMT)

Torque Enthusiasts,

I have recently completed a new plugin for the Torque Pro app called “Realtime Charts” and it is now available on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjt.realtimecharts_v1

Realtime Charts is a charting app that allows you to monitor up to 8 engine sensors simultaneously and plots them on your phone or tablet. It updates in real-time as you drive. There are numerous options to allow you to tailor the look of your charts. You may have up to 100 charts with different engine sensors, colors, options etc., so you can easily monitor a variety of engine sensors. You can zoom in and out with finger gestures, just like you would with a photo.

The app can also save your data to your device and you can view the data later for analysis and sharing. It has advanced data visualization features to make the charts more interesting and useful. For example, you can scale the data for one engine sensor so the other lines on the chart are readable, allowing you to graph RPMs vs. MPH for instance. In the chart below, I divide RPMs by 10. Note, the legends shows the un-scaled value of the data for you.

There are more screen shots on Google Play which will show you all the options and features.

See the description below for more details.

Check out the google play store listing. I would love to hear your feedback and am looking forward to adding more features and options based on your comments.

If you have questions about this app please post them on this thread or email me at realtimechartsapp@gmail.com

Hope you find the Realtime Charts app interesting and fun.

Thanks,

Phil_in_NH

Philip Trasatti
Realtime Charts Developer

Facebook page for Realtime Charts: https://www.facebook.com/Realtime-Charts-for-Torque-Pro-1669817409964470/

Google Play Store Listing: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjt.realtimecharts_v1

“Realtime Charts is a plugin for the Torque Pro App and is the perfect tool for the automotive hobbyist, professional or DIY mechanic who wants to monitor, tune, diagnose or analyze their vehicle’s performance. This plugin app allows the user to graph multiple engine sensors (i.e. RPM, Speed, MPG, HP, Torque, up to 8 different PIDs (On-board diagnostics Parameter IDs)) simultaneously in real-time on an Android phone or tablet. The software graphs each engine senor as a “series” on your Android device, allowing for in depth monitoring of the vehicle’s performance. You can create your own custom charts (up to 100), specifying the sensors, sampling frequency, chart colors, series attributes, and much more.”

Realtime Charts App Features:
– Monitor and graph up to 8 engine sensors (PIDs) in real-time
– Save settings for up to 100 custom charts
– Save data to device and load for later review.
– Auto-pause chart option when the vehicle is stopped.
– Auto-save trip data option when the vehicle is shut off or user ends session.
– Scroll and zoom charts with finger tips or zoom buttons
– Simple chart and series setup.
– Settable sampling frequency from 250ms to 10 seconds.
– Time of day X axis labels
– Session pause and resume with time compensation
– Auto-scaling or fixed y-axis
– Add and delete sensors from running charts.
– Change series and chart attributes (color, lines, …) on running charts
– Dynamic scaling of series datapoint (0.01x, 0.1x, 1x, 10x, 100x, …)
– Graph running averages for engine senors
– Upper and lower engine sensor value limits
– Preferred Torque Unit Support (English or Metric units)
– Share screen shots on social media
– Simple user interface
– Simple or custom color selection tools
– Export Excel CSV data files
– Preloaded sample charts

Supported Android Versions: V2.3 (GingerBread) and above. Tested on Motorola Electrify running V2.3 (Gingerbread) and Samsung Tab 4 running V4.4 (KitKat).

Phil_in_NH
Realtime Charts Plugin Developer, outdoorsman, car guy, woodworker, software engineer, fly fisherman, cyclist

Get Realtime Charts for Torque Pro at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjt.realtimecharts_v1

Phil_in_NH
Post Re: New Torque Pro Plugin - Realtime Charts for Torque
on: February 21, 2016 (GMT)

Torque users,

I found an issue where the app crashes when the load or delete buttons are clicked and there are no trip files saved yet.

I am uploading a fix today for this issue (Realtime Charts V1.1).

Workaround is to save one trip file before using the load or delete buttons.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil_in_NH
Realtime Charts Plugin Developer, outdoorsman, car guy, woodworker, software engineer, fly fisherman, cyclist

Get Realtime Charts for Torque Pro at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjt.realtimecharts_v1

Phil_in_NH
on: February 26, 2016 (GMT)

Torque and Realtime Charts Users,

I released an update for Realtime Charts (V1.2) today which adds a few new features to speed up chart creation and manage the drawing priority of chart lines. Also, fixes a couple of issues including the way the edit and create preferences work. They now work as designed and should be a lot more pleasant to use. It returns to the previous menu now rather than exiting.

Hope you are enjoying using Realtime Charts.

Thanks,

Philip Trasatti

realtimechartsapp@gmail.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Realtime Charts for Torque Pro V1.2!
– Added settings option to force device to stay awake while collecting engine sensor data
– Added option to make a copy of an existing chart to speed up set up
– Added option for draw order of chart lines
– Fixed bug in Create and Edit menus to not exit to top level!
– Fixed journal recovery logic to save trip settings
– Fixed save function for loaded trip files so edits are possible to trip log files
– Fixed a condition where Trip Distance was reported as a negative distance

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: February 28, 2016 (GMT)

Here’s a quick demo video to show you how the app looks and runs that I made this evening.

Demo of “Realtime Charts for Torque Pro”, recording live engine data, reviewing a previously recorded trip and showing chart set up process!

https://youtu.be/3CO1qz7XPvQ

Below is a cool trace of my 2011 Ford F150 (5.0L) that I recorded this morning. It shows the O2 sensor voltages (Bank 1 & 2), Fuel Flow Rate, Mass Air Flow Rate and Catalyst Temperatures at the O2 sensor all recorded and displayed simultaneously. You can see the start up ramp as the temperature comes up, then some oscillation and final the system locks in.

I scaled all the engine sensors down so they could be compared against the O2 voltages.

Let’s see your charts!

Phil_in_NH

vpham209
on: February 28, 2016 (GMT)

Looks useful phil, definitely going to save this thread for later.

anko
on: March 7, 2016 (GMT)

Installed the plugin over the weekend and did my first trips with it. I use it icm with a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and plot stuff like Charge Current, SOC, etc. But also ‘normal’ engine stuff, such as Load, RPM and fuel consumption.

Totally love it!! Although it will probably cost me a few bucks for a new tablet (currently use it on an old Samsung phone with a way to small display 😉

Small question, though. The active legend seems to be based on a point halfway the visible scale. So, when used in real time, the active legen resents values from some time ago. Is it possible to display current values in the legen instead?

Cheers and thanks a lot for this great plugin.

Anko

Phil_in_NH
on: March 7, 2016 (GMT)

Anko,

Thanks for the great feedback and I am thrilled to hear that Realtime Charts is working well for you.

I definitely can make that change for you, good suggestion.

I am planning an update in a couple of weeks with a few new features and will add that option in for you.

Email me some charts if you get a chance, would love to see want you have done with the app.

Go for the new tablet, I use a Samsung Tab 4 7″, perfect for Torque and Realtime Charts.

Thanks again,

Phil

Phil_in_NH

anko
on: March 8, 2016 (GMT)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to your next version!

In the mean time, I will have a look at the Samsung. Sees not to expensive :-)

Cheers,

Anko

Phil_in_NH
on: March 13, 2016 (GMT)

Realtime Charts V1.4 has been released!

Several new features were added including:

– Enhanced shadow fill to work for negative values and reflect on the x-axis (see simulation chart below)
– Share your charts configurations with friends
– Check to skip auto-save for short trips
– Multiple options for chart legends
– Automatic trip storage space management

These features were requested by the Realtime Charts user community.

Please let me know how you like these new features.

Thanks for using Realtime Charts!

Phil

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: August 19, 2016 (GMT)

Released Realtime Charts V1.10!

I added several new features (user requested) and cleaned up a few issues that were found.

If you have any problems, please contact me.

More features coming soon!

Thanks, Phil

V1.9/1.10 Changes
– Removed colons from csv filenames
– Added Set Window Size feature
– Fixed case that crashed on export csv
– Added auto-repair for custom PIDs
– Fixed install issue on DEXP device (Some Lollipop versions)
– Tweaked Material theme fonts for menus
– Added Road Horsepower PID Feature (see help in app)

Road Horsepower Measurements Feature:

Starting in V1.9, you can measure the “Road Horsepower” curve for a vehicle using Realtime Charts. Road Horsepower is defined as the the amount of power a vehicle needs to maintain a given speed (velocity) on a flat surface. Road horsepower is a metric reported in popular car magazines and can be used to measure the mechanical efficiency of a vehicle. You need to have correctly set up your vehicle\’s weight in the vehicle\’s Torque profile for this feature to work correctly.

To compute road horsepower, Realtime Charts samples the rate of change in speed and computes the force being placed on the vehicle (mass) and converts that to a HP value for that sample period. The feature works best with a sampling rate between 1 and 3 seconds. This is due to the OBD 2 speed sensor resolution which is reported in KM/hour.

You can generate the road horsepower curve by driving up to a given speed and then taking your foot off the accelerator. Some people also put the vehicle in neutral during the deceleration. The goal is to measure the force (mechanical friction) from the tires, transmission, bearings, and wind drag on the vehicle. You can also use the running average feature and stats legend to compare your road horsepower curves from different experiments.

In addition, you can export your data to excel and graph speed vs. HP to see different views of the data. There is a preloaded chart for “Road Horsepower” installed with version 1.9. Please be careful measuring your road horsepower and obey all road regulations.

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: January 2, 2017 (GMT)

Torque and Realtime Charts Users,

I released an update for Realtime Charts (V1.12) today which adds a few cool new features. Realtime Charts can now record data while it’s in the background and you can simultaneously use other Torque Pro Plugins or other apps like Google Maps and record your car’s performance data. Watch your Torque Pro dashboard gauges and record the information for later review! There are also controls from the notification status bar that let you control the background recording.

I am working on scatter plots for V1.13 now. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Hope you are enjoying using Realtime Charts for Torque Pro.

Thanks,

Philip Trasatti

Realtime Charts V1.12
– Added support for recording charts while app is in the background
– Added notification bar support for recording background service with controls

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: April 18, 2017 (GMT)

Torque Pro Users,

I just released V1.14 of Realtime Charts for Torque Pro!

This version adds scatter plot analysis allowing users to see interesting correlations between different engine sensors. Scatter plot analysis can be done in either real time (live) or on saved session data after recording has been done (works on saved data from earlier app versions too). Just select the sensors you want to include in scatter plot analysis, adjust the range of data you want to analyze in the chart window and click the scatter plot menu button. Or you can create a chart that automatically launches to a scatter plot view. You just check multiple engine sensors to include in the plots, the app generates all the combinations and you just tab through all the scatter plots using buttons on the action bar! Couldn’t be easier… There are more details included in the app’s help section under the settings icon.

You can also zoom and pan with finger gestures on your scatter plots, share screenshots with friends and tune your analysis in seconds. Color schemes automatically match your chart settings so there’s no additional set up!

Here are a couple of interesting scatter plots I made showing the relationship between O2 sensors and Mass Air Flow vs. Fuel Flow on my #Ford #F150. This feature makes it easy to see if your complex engine systems are operating properly.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Phil

Pointer to sample scatter plots in the google play store:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/iDnCvHhGsTZwF3iTIqWQjOm072Y_GdW-RaNosFrsNSjs7RyiUIr0pueI2cjUYyR9S9WI=h900-rw

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NCnPbdBP9QbJS2hRdgFxntVhhfcP6z2yUUCO0ottJz0n8eqKSFqs9GJAGgQMYzjmtg=h900-rw

Phil_in_NH

F-150Torqued
on: April 18, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks Phil

I am using “Real Time Charts for Torque Pro” and give it a SOLID 5 Stars. It is a great app. Flexible and powerful while still being intuitive and easy to work.

————–

Phil_in_NH
on: April 20, 2017 (GMT)

Thanks Norris! Very happy to hear you find the Realtime Chart plugin useful. I am cleaning up a few very minor chart resizing cases that I noticed while testing the new scatter plot feature.

I also have a list of suggestions from users (Craig, Steve) for some short cut features, autopause extensions and a mass air flow volumetric efficiency feature. Will be adding those features next.

If you have any cool ideas, please contact me.

Phil

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: May 28, 2017 (GMT)

Realtime Charts for Torque Pro Service Announcement:

Released V1.19 today. Fixed several issues, negative sensor values caused a ANR (Activity not Responding) for scatter and frequency plots. Also, if there were no sensor values, scatter and frequency plots fail. Modified the upper and lower limits for frequency plots to use the entire x axis.

Let me know if you have any problems. (realtimechartsapp@gmail.com)

Please upgrade to this version.

Thanks, Phil

Phil_in_NH

F-150Torqued
on: May 29, 2017 (GMT)

Being able to ‘ADD’ additional sensors/PIDs in Torque Pro, THEN specify them in ‘Realtime Charts’ creates an unbelievably powerful combination. Makes it rival manufactures integrated diagnostic systems they provide their dealer techs. I found all the PIDs for variable cam timing on my F150, created Torque gauges, and graphed them. You can tell EXACTLY how the variable cam system operates.
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/can-you-find-obd2-codes-without-reader-383540/#post5329133

I sing the praises of ‘Realtime Charts for Torque Pro’ every chance I get. It is a great Torque Pro plug-in. Thanks Phil – keep up the good work.

——————-

Phil_in_NH

Excellent Ford F150 camshaft charts and interesting analysis of camshaft adjustments vs. engine load! Thanks for the review on the F150 forum. Chart looks great, like the way you selected the line attributes. I will try the camshaft PIDs on my 2011 F150 and see if they work (newer V5.0L engine).

Okay if I anonymously share your screenshots on the Realtime Charts Facebook page?

Phil

Phil_in_NH

F-150Torqued

Quote from Phil_in_NH on May 29, 2017

Okay if I anonymously share your screenshots on the Realtime Charts Facebook page?

Phil

—————— end Quote

Sure its Okay. I’m happy to share the info (including the Torque setup). I don’t know if you noticed the link on the Ford Forum site post, I included all the PID setup & formulas (AND a csv file that can be imported into torque extended pids). The csv file even includes psuedo gauges that ‘accumulate’ cam error for bank1 and bank2. (Unscientific, but too much error accumulation in one common direction might suggest an impending problem…??)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-repair-guide-5-4-cam-phaser-tick-knock-sound-141266/index304/#post5133357

I would be interested to know if the PIDs work on your 5.0. I believe they will, but have learned PIDs are not organized very consistently. Even within different Ford lines.

—————

Phil_in_NH

Cool, didn’t know about the extended PID csv file trick! I have the Ford tire pressure PIDs also so I will create a file for that too.

Give me a week to test out the V5.0L can shaft Pids and report back.

Nice work!

Phil

Phil_in_NH

Phil_in_NH
on: June 7, 2017 (GMT)

Norris,

I tried your Ford F150 camshaft PIDs on my 2011 F150 w/ the V5.0L engine.

Four PIDs had values returned, _VCT Error Accumulator1, _VCT Error Accumulator2, _VCT Error1 Total and _VCT Error2 Total all were found and returned zero values. The other PIDs didn’t get a valid response (No data received).

I didn’t see the four PIDs that seemed to be valid return any value other than zero. I guess it makes sense that no errors were seen. Will monitor and see if they change.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil_in_NH

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.

Follow me on twitter