Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Can't connect to ECU

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can't connect to ECU
GrumpyOldTimer
Post Can't connect to ECU
on: December 13, 2015 (GMT)

I have a Chevy Workhorse 8.1 l engine in a 2004 Winnebago with OBDII. I am using a BAFX Products OBDII Diagnostic Interface from Amazon part number 4619348hhyg. Using a Samsung Galaxy 5 running Android v 5.0
I tried the Torque free software and it seemed to work fine. I bought the full version of Torque which requires me to set up a vehicle profile which I have done 3 times.
When I start Torque, it shows the 3 icons in solid blue, with the car icon blinking blue. When I try to read the fault codes it says no connection to ecu nor OBD interface.
I have tried deleting and recreating the vehicle profiles. I have run through the OBDII settings several times making changes that seemed appropriate (and some experimentation), still nothing.
HELP. Why would the free version work and the paid version not? Is this “operator error” on my part? Or?
Help.
Thanks
Very Grumpy today!! 😉

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Can

Hi!

If you’ve recently used the lite version, then the adapter could think it’s still connected (the adapters only allow one connection at a time)

Make sure the lite version isn’t running (there should only be one OBD icon in the top of your notification bar when the pro app is running)

Then unplug and re-insert the adapter into the vehicle socket (this ‘reboots’ the adapter so it starts in a disconnected state – this just speeds the disconnection process up if you’ve recently run the lite app

Once you’ve done that, start the pro app. It should at this point connect to the adapter.

If it doesn’t connect:

* Go into the vehicle profile and scroll down to the adapter and protocol section. This should be set to ‘Automatic – Fast’ for the protocol, and ‘As defined in global OBD2 settings’ for the adapter part. (if you have multiple adapters, one for each vehicle, you can use this bit to assign an adapter to a particular profile – but we don’t need it in this instance)

* Then go into the main app settings, ‘OBD adapter settings’, and click the ‘Choose bluetooth device’. Then select the adapter to use.

* Once you’ve done that, go out of the settings and back to the main screen. If you’ve selected the correct bluetooth device, and nothing else is connected to it (like a laptop, or another app, etc) then Torque Pro should then connect to the adapter.

The ‘Adapter Status’ screen is a good screen to diagnose where the issue is (at what point the connection is failing) so that should be helpful if you still have issues

The pro and lite apps have the same bluetooth connection code, so it definitely should work with the pro version if it’s working with the lite!

GrumpyOldTimer

All working fine now. Operator error on my end.
Thanks for great support. I wish I had your patience to deal with so many novices like me.
Less Grumpy now!! 😉

piemmm
Administrator

No problem – I’m trying to figure out any stumbling blocks and this kind of feedback helps me see areas of the app I could possibly improve on :)

Which leads me to my next question if you have the time – what was it in the end? :)

GrumpyOldTimer

OK, I’m em bare assed. When I used the free Torque, it gave me “NO Faults” when I checked. I originally bought the OBDII adapter to try and diagnose why I kept getting a dash light warning/fault. However, being new to all this I did not turn on the ignition. In the free version, there is no warning that one is not connected to the ECU, just NO faults. At least that’s how I remember it, can’t check since I have already deleted the free version. In the full Torque version, one gets a warning that you are not connected to the ECU when you try to check for fault codes. It also says “Not connected to OBD Interface! Connect then try again”. That led me to believe I had a connection problem with both the ECU and the OBD adapter. In fact, all that was wrong was I had not switched on the ignition. While waiting for your reply, I had gone online and discovered the ignition has to be on to connect to ECU. I am currently in an RV Park, so I can’t really run the engine, especially on a Sunday afternoon with lot’s of people sitting out. Tomorrow when it is quieter, I will fire up the Motor Home and give things a proper test.
Switching on the ignition connected to the ECU and all is well.
So, sorry for the confusion.

ronc52
on: July 3, 2017 (GMT)

I’m having a similar issue with my 2001 Workhorse 8.1 liter RV, using a PLX Devices Kiwi-2+ and an Amazon Kindle. Devices are paired, each recognizes the other, but the Kiwi cannot reestablish communications with the ECU. This worked exactly once, the first time I tried it after receiving a fresh Kiwi from PLX. I’ve tried a number of permutations and combinations of setups (protocols, speeds, etc.) to no avail. The same configuration works fine in a 2011 Ford RV with a different profile.

Do you have any ideas about how I can troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.

Follow me on twitter