Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » PIDs momentarily get stuck

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PIDs momentarily get stuck
HoTsHoT89
Post PIDs momentarily get stuck
on: October 22, 2015 (GMT)

Hi guys,

I bought the Torque Pro app to test it on my car and it works brilliantly, until I found a few issues.

I drive a 2011 Toyota Passo which uses the CAN protocol. My dongle is a vGate iCar2, an ELM327 china clone. I can read the standard Mode01 PIDs just fine without issues but when I combine a Mode21 PID (or Toyota’s proprietary PIDs) with the standard PIDs in the real-time display only the proprietary IDs get updated – the other Mode01 PIDs freeze.

Interestingly, I have discovered a workaround – if I start the real-time page only with Mode01 PIDs, then add displays for the Mode21 PIDs, all of them get updated as they should. But when I close and reopen Torque and return back to the real-time information screen, the Mode01 PIDs freeze all over again. Another oddity I found is that after the standard PIDs are stuck; I remove the Mode21 PIDs from the realtime screen, 10 seconds later the standard PIDs starts responding again.

I have tested this with other China-made dongles that I own and it’s the same result, but I am pretty sure it is due to the app as I could monitor both Mode01 and Mode21 PIDs before at one point.

Anyone come across this issue before?

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: PIDs momentarily get stuck
on: October 22, 2015 (GMT)

Hi

That sounds like it could be adapter related (typically this means that the adapter isn’t responding correctly for a period of time)…

Can you go into the settigns, and disable ‘Faster Communications’, also (just before you do that) can you check the ‘Error Count’ in the ‘Adapter Status’ screen after the fault happens

Both of the above will help pinpoint where the issue is

HoTsHoT89
on: October 23, 2015 (GMT)

I tried looking at the Error Count at the Adapter Status screen, it’s reporting an ‘other error’ which slowly increments once every 4-5 seconds. Disabling Faster Communcations does not improve the situation other than slowing down the PID reading.

Anything else I can provide to diagnose this?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

So far it definitely sounds like the adapter is the issue (the ‘other faults’ are basically timeouts waiting for responses from the adapter).

There are a couple of things that can cause this:

* A faulty adapter (this is the most common, by far)

* Another adapter with the same MAC address in range and interfering with yours (this is due to vendors using the same MAC address – a bluetooth identifier – which should always be unique for each adapter) – this will happen if you have 2 adapters of the same type powered up in range of each other

* An issue on Samsung handsets where an active WiFi(sending/rx data) connection will intefere with Bluetooth communications (turn wifi off to rule this out). It’s a hardware/driver bug in the handset and is present in their current-gen handset, right back to the S4.

* An issue with the android handsets bluetooth stack causing resets. Typically on older handsets, and caused by multiple active bluetooth connetcions like handsfree, music streaming,etc). Fairly uncommon, fixed on newer handsets. Disable temporarily other bluetooth connetions to rule it out.

Basically, if you disable wifi, and other bluetooth connections, and have no other adapters of the same type in range, then it’s extremely likely that the OBD2 adapter is faulty

This should help you determine where the issue is!

HoTsHoT89

My comments on your kind suggestions below:

* A faulty adapter (this is the most common, by far)
I have another vGate iCar adapter (the one used previously was an iCar2 model) and I can replicate the same issues. It’s probably more of a clone compatibility issue than the adapter being faulty in the first place.

* Another adapter with the same MAC address in range and interfering with yours (this is due to vendors using the same MAC address – a bluetooth identifier – which should always be unique for each adapter) – this will happen if you have 2 adapters of the same type powered up in range of each other
Checked the MAC addresses and tried to replicate the problem at different areas, so this is a non-issue.

* An issue on Samsung handsets where an active WiFi(sending/rx data) connection will intefere with Bluetooth communications (turn wifi off to rule this out). It’s a hardware/driver bug in the handset and is present in their current-gen handset, right back to the S4.
I’m using an Xperia Z3, and I know how terrible Samsung can get at times when it comes to their drivers.

* An issue with the android handsets bluetooth stack causing resets. Typically on older handsets, and caused by multiple active bluetooth connetcions like handsfree, music streaming,etc). Fairly uncommon, fixed on newer handsets. Disable temporarily other bluetooth connetions to rule it out.
I disabled mine on my car, but still a no-go.

As it can actually work correctly (remove Mode21 PIDs, re-add them back in), would it be possible for you to take a deeper look?

Thanks!

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Can you completley remove all trace of the mode 21 Pids, then restart and see if the pauses continue? (and/or export them here as well so I can have a quick look at them) – it’s possible that there’s something off with one of them that the adapter isn’t responding normally to – this would also cause the pauses(very regularly) if there was a bad PID present

HoTsHoT89
on: October 24, 2015 (GMT)

Before I discovered this problem, I’ve been using the standard Mode01 PIDs even before I managed to obtain the Mode21 ones – I have driven with only the Mode01 PIDs for more than half an hour without the freezing issues, but I’ll check at the adapter status to see if any errors are reported once I’m able.

Here are the two examples of two Mode21 PIDs I added from Techstream (a dash represents a blank):

OBD2 Mode and PID: 21f3
Long name: Injector pulse
Short name: Injector pulse
Minimum value: 0.0
Maximum value: 33.0
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: ms
Equation: A / 255 * 32.64
OBD Header: Auto
Diagnostic start command: –
Diagnostic stop command: –

OBD2 Mode and PID: 21fb
Long name: Air fuel ratio
Short name: AFR
Minimum value: 11.0
Maximum value: 17.0
Unit type: lambda
Equation: (0.5 / 255) * A + 0.75

Also, I’ve discovered another workaround today to get the Mode21 PIDs working as below.

1. Set Mode01 and Mode21 PIDs in real time screen.
2. Turn on car, allow Torque to connect to car.
3. Torque should report ‘Connected to ECU OK’, but the Mode01 PIDs should not be responding.
4. Turn off the car (key in leftmost position)
4. Here is the tricky part. It takes about 5 seconds for Torque to figure out that the connection has been cut off, and goes back to ‘Connecting to (protocol)’. The key here is to turn back on the car just before the ‘Connecting to (protocol)’ message is shown. If it is done too early, it will be in the same state as before where the Mode01 PIDs don’t respond. Also, Torque still reports ‘Connected to ECU OK’ without any change in message.
5. All Mode01 and Mode21 PIDs respond in Torque as it should, based on the green blinking light on each dial.

I hope this above is some help to you. Thanks!

piemmm
Administrator

Ok, that’s interesting can you also do the following if you have a moment:

Go into the general settings, tick the ‘Enable Debugging’ option

Then quit and restart the app.

This will enable debug collections in the app. Once this is done, can you:

Start the app, go into the ‘realtime information’ screen and let it connect and the bug (not updating) happen.

As soon as you have it not working, press menu-> send debug logs

Type your forum name in the box that pops up (this helps me find your debug) and then press ‘Send’

I’ll get the debugs here and have a look what’s up, should hopefully show me exactly what’s up!

HoTsHoT89

Just sent the debug log a minute ago – thanks!

piemmm
Administrator

Got it, ta.

It looks like one of the extended PIDs you’re using is setting the header, and this is different to the default header that is used when the vehicle first connects when it’s set back to it’s default

Can you in the vehicle profile tick the ‘Alternate OBD header’ option(or disable it if it is ticked) and see if that helps?

piemmm
Administrator

Also, if you could send another debug after you start getting the Mode 01 PIDs working again (when not using the alternate) setting, that would also be useful!

(edit: ta got that debug now too…)

HoTsHoT89

Hi,

Ticking ‘Alternative OBD header’ at the Vehicle Profile seems to have fixed the issue, both Mode01 and Mode21 PIDs work upon the first connect.

I’ve sent the debug log which logs my second workaround as well.

piemmm
Administrator

Ok, hm there may be 2 problems here, one of which is fixed by using the alternate OBD2 header, however I’ve also seen from the log:

1445673198692 <  SH 7E0
1445673198709 >  OK
1445673198712 < 01051
1445673198750 >  CAN ERROR
1445673198751 < 010C1
1445673198805 >  CAN ERROR
1445673198806 < 010F1
1445673198878 >  CAN ERROR
1445673198880 < 01451
1445673198921 >  CAN ERROR
1445673198922 < 21FB
1445673198963 >  CAN ERROR
1445673198964 < 01051
1445673199008 >  CAN ERROR
1445673199009 < 010C1
1445673199080 >  410C0000
1445673199095 < 010F1

Which isn’t supposed to happen. The ‘CAN ERROR’ message is from the adapter itself when it or the ECU can’t talk properly to each other. From the documentation (at http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf):

CAN ERROR
The CAN system had difficulty initializing, sending,
or receiving. Often this is simply from not being
connected to a CAN system when you attempt to send
a message, but it may be because you have set the
system to an incorrect protocol, or to a baud rate that
does not match the actual data rate. As with BUS
ERRORs, the CAN ERROR might also be the result of
a wiring problem, so if this is the first time using your
ELM327 circuit, review all of your CAN interface
circuitry before proceeding.

This means one of:

* That there is a either a bad connection between the vehicle ECU and adapter

* There is a lot of ‘noise’ on the data lines used to talk to the ECU (possible with systems that have issues with electrical noise or bad alternators)

* Or that the adapter is suspect (unfortunately this is fairly common with the clone adapters)

* Or, you stared the vehicle engine whilst connected to the vehicle and taking the debug (this can cause this issue as well, but CANBUS is designed so that this again shouldn’t happen)

I only see it once in the log, so if you started the vehicle whilst connected to the ECU then I’m going to put it down to that. If you didn’t, then it’s likely going to be the adapter that’s at fault or one of the other points above

HoTsHoT89

Thanks for the in-depth explanation.

I’m assuming the CAN ERROR is caused by turning off the entire car (as I did only once) which the ECU gets powered down. I’ve had no other notable issues when working with a terminal, Techstream, or your app either so here’s guessing that it’s likely the culprit.

Could you explain in-depth about the header issue? As I have set the header to 7E0 in the custom init, but the Mode21 PID headers were set to Auto – was that the reason for the pausing?

Also, this isn’t related to the issue at hand but for the setting ‘Always go to dashboard’ in Settings -> General Preferences – after pressing back on the Vehicle Profile screen it immediately takes me to the realtime information screen. When set to ‘Do not start dashboard screen’ it goes back to the main menu, which should be the same for the ‘Always go to dashboard’ setting as it should follow the order of screens opened, don’t you think?

Lastly, thank you for the support – I can finally get back to testing :)

leipziger
on: October 25, 2015 (GMT)

Quote from HoTsHoT89 on October 24, 2015
Before I discovered this problem, I’ve been using the standard Mode01 PIDs even before I managed to obtain the Mode21 ones – I have driven with only the Mode01 PIDs for more than half an hour without the freezing issues, but I’ll check at the adapter status to see if any errors are reported once I’m able.

Here are the two examples of two Mode21 PIDs I added from Techstream (a dash represents a blank):

OBD2 Mode and PID: 21f3
Long name: Injector pulse
Short name: Injector pulse
Minimum value: 0.0
Maximum value: 33.0
Unit type: ms
Equation: A / 255 * 32.64

I hope this above is some help to you. Thanks!

Can you help me the NOx sensors at the moment:
OBD2 Mode and PID: 0183
?
?

HoTsHoT89
on: October 26, 2015 (GMT)

The PID is dependent whether if the car supports it and Techstream displaying the PID. Mine doesn’t have that PID.

leipziger
on: October 26, 2015 (GMT)

Quote from HoTsHoT89 on October 26, 2015
The PID is dependent whether if the car supports it and Techstream displaying the PID. Mine doesn’t have that PID.

Many thanks. It is possible that the PID 83 not implemented in petrol cars. However, the NOx – PID 83 is of particular interest in diesel cars.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.

Follow me on twitter