Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque / blue tooth no longer connecting

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Torque / blue tooth no longer connecting
az_r2d1
Post Torque / blue tooth no longer connecting
on: October 11, 2015 (GMT)

I have a Samsung Note 3 and am using several of the cheapie elm adapters. This used to work great on several vehicles.
All of a sudden none connect anymore.
I wiped all bluetooth connections, re-paired them yet torque refuses to connect.
I first figured my phone was having an issue.
But I installed the app named “ECU access tester” and it connects to my elm adapter without any issues right away.
Rebooted phone, tried just about anything.
Used the global bluetooth connections, used the vehicle specific connection, even different protocols… NONE works anymore. I can’t get it to connect. Uninstalled/re-installed torque.. same thing.

IS there a way to ‘clean up’ the blue tooth connection thing?
I am at a loss.

az_r2d1
Post Re: Torque / blue tooth no longer connecting
on: October 14, 2015 (GMT)

I send in the debug info, no response.
When I go to the gauges in torque, it reports on top that it is connecting to the adapter (showing the adapter id, so it knows there is an adapter paired) but then says no adapter.
Would be nice if the moderator at least acknowledged my debug info was received.
I know they probabyl blame the cheap adapter, but it used to work fine for hours at a time. And the other ECU testing app (named ECU Access Tester) connects flawlessly.

What gives ? Has the developer given up on this app ?

ecker567
on: October 15, 2015 (GMT)

Interesting, because I began having the same problem with my phone and Torque a couple days ago. I had installed a different theme from the play store, and and ever since I cannot connect. I can connect from my old cell phone which still has Torque installed, and my current phone works fine with every other OBDII app I have downloaded (at least 6 of them) but Torque will not connect – all gauges read “no data” and the app never connects. I’ve also tried uninstalling/reinstalling and no dice…. any suggestions?

az_r2d1
on: October 16, 2015 (GMT)

Lovely isn’t it ?
Did you send in the debug info ?
Once you are on thegauges page , does it show “connecting to adapter xyz” and then fails ?
I think the current version is broken. It used to work just fine.

does your old phone have an older version that hasn’t been updated?

I am a little po-ed since I don’t even get a response. I did pay for this product.

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 17, 2015 (GMT)

Hi!

Check the following:

* In the vehicle profile, that you’ve told the app to use the ‘Automatic – Fast’ protocol, and not some specific protocol that isn’t the one your vehicle uses.

* That the vehicle profile is set to use the correct adapter (or the default adapter in the main ‘OBD2 adapter settings’. Reselect the adapter in the settings in case you have replaced it with another one with the same name or re-paired the adapter with android

* (This is very important). Make sure no other OBD2 apps are running or connected to the adapter… or leave the phone connected to the adpater when finished, as this will prevent Torque form being able to connect to the adapter. The most common issue is when another app/laptop/etc is connected to the adapter which prevents other apps from connecting.
The adapters only allow one connection at a time, then will ignore all other connection attempts.

* Once you’ve checked the above, then go into the ‘Adapter Status’ screen and see how far you have got connecting. It should show you if the phone has connected to the adapter ok, and then if the app has connected to the ECU. If you’re not connected to the adapter, then you need to check if something else isn’t already connected to it, and that you have the correct adapter selected in the settings

That’s about it! If all of the above is setup correctly then you should be able to connect! Be careful about the other apps connected thing, as it can catch some people out!

ecker567
on: October 19, 2015 (GMT)

OK…. was about to give up. Tried everything that was in the last post and nothing worked. I even did a full factory reset on my phone and reinstalled everything fresh – no good. Torque was the only OBD II app I had used after the factory reset and still no connection to adapter.
Then…. I was looking through the settings menus. Under “General Preferences” -> “Force bluetooth connection type” I changed the setting to “Force Unencrypted connections” and suddenly I have connection again.
Never had to do this before, and have used this adapter with Torque for a long time…. but at least it’s working again.
Hope this helps someone else….

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 19, 2015 (GMT)

Hi!

Can you tell me your Android phone model, android version, and app version that you’re using (this will help me work out why you were having issues and now it’s working)

Was the setting set to it’s default before?

Thanks!

ecker567
on: October 20, 2015 (GMT)

Samsung Galaxy Avant (SM-G386T1), Android version 4.4.2, adapter reads as an ELM327 v1.5, Torque Pro version 1.8.62, setting was at default before and worked file for a long time, suddenly stopped working recently but after changing the setting noted in the prior post it is working again… and I am able to use the “Faster Communication” setting now, which never worked before. This definitely improves response.

piemmm
Administrator

Thanks – that was helpful!

I will release an update that rolls a change back to your version of android which basically affects some samsung devices (looks like I never saw the model number you were using so it slipped through the net)

‘Faster Communications’ should always work, no matter what the adapter – if you were saying it didn’t work before then it could be indicative of the adapter being faulty (an issue with it corrupting data at faster speeds, which they should all be capable of) – if you get problems with this then check the adapter status screen->Error Count and make sure it’s 0. If it’s not 0 then it means your adapter is messing things up and it should be replaced

az_r2d1

Quote from admin on October 17, 2015
Hi!

Check the following:

* In the vehicle profile, that you’ve told the app to use the ‘Automatic – Fast’ protocol, and not some specific protocol that isn’t the one your vehicle uses.

* That the vehicle profile is set to use the correct adapter (or the default adapter in the main ‘OBD2 adapter settings’. Reselect the adapter in the settings in case you have replaced it with another one with the same name or re-paired the adapter with android

* (This is very important). Make sure no other OBD2 apps are running or connected to the adapter… or leave the phone connected to the adpater when finished, as this will prevent Torque form being able to connect to the adapter. The most common issue is when another app/laptop/etc is connected to the adapter which prevents other apps from connecting.
The adapters only allow one connection at a time, then will ignore all other connection attempts.

* Once you’ve checked the above, then go into the ‘Adapter Status’ screen and see how far you have got connecting. It should show you if the phone has connected to the adapter ok, and then if the app has connected to the ECU. If you’re not connected to the adapter, then you need to check if something else isn’t already connected to it, and that you have the correct adapter selected in the settings

That’s about it! If all of the above is setup correctly then you should be able to connect! Be careful about the other apps connected thing, as it can catch some people out!
===========================================================

Hi there
Well, I checked all these things (and then some) and it will not connect anmore. I checekd the adapter status and it doesn’t even connect to the adapter.

Now, I tried this on a different phone as well and it works just fine. My note 3 (android 4.4.2) stopped working with it completely, while it worked just fine on a nexus 6 with android 6.0 marshmallow. Connected instantly.

Thanks

ecker567

Looks like it may be a Samsung thing…. provide the admin with your Android phone model (including specific model#), android version, and Troque app version that you’re using and he may be able to resolve this – my phone is a Samsung also and apparently there is an issue with certain Samsung models. Also see my prior post for a setting change that may help….

ecker567

Faster Communication setting

I was never able to connect with this setting on before changing the “General Preferences” -> “Force bluetooth connection type” to “Force Unencrypted” – now it connects and communicates much faster with very little lag. Error count is a solid zero with the Faster COmmunication box checked now.

az_r2d1

My model is a samsung note 3 smn900v, android 4.4.2
torque version 1.8.62

I do not have hte ‘force bluetooth ‘ option ??? I don’t see any, can you verify ?

piemmm
Administrator

Thanks for the model numbers! I know what this is now and it should be fixed in the upcoming update!

If you want to work around in the meantime:

Go into general settings->set enable debugging ‘on’

Restart the app

Go into the settings again – you will see a new option ‘force connection type’ – change this to ‘force unencrypted’ – you should then be up and running

(when you get the update, turn debugging off again as it speeds up the app a little as it’s not got debugging enabled)

az_r2d1

Thank you for the quick updates !
I found the un-encrypted setting and switched it on. It instantly connected !!!

az_r2d1

I actually wanted to ask if it is possible to use the name for the bluetooth connection instead of a MAC address ?
You can assign a name to a bluetooth dongle once it is paired ?
This would be a lot easier than to guess which dongle is the currently in use.

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 21, 2015 (GMT)

Hi!

It’s possible, but one of the main problems that would arise is if you (and there’s quite a few people out there with this) have 2 of the same type of cheap clone adapters.

The clone adapters unfortunately all use the same bluetooth MAC id (ok there’s 3-4 main Id’s in use however quite a lot use IDs like: 11:22:33:AA:BB (etc) which obviously wouldn’t work if you tried to name them based on Id (because they all use the same mac id, you would also have the issue of 2 of these adapters interfering with each other when they get in range, due to the same ID’s used)

az_r2d1

I understand, but the naming is done in android. So that would be whatever android does with it. Torque would just use the name given in android, and not the mac id.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Hm – Torque does use the name in android in the bluetooth selection screen (you can also see this in the vehicle profile setup as well where you can specify the adapter). This is controlled by android though…

Where abouts are you not seeing the bluetooth adpater name?

az_r2d1

When I select the adapter to use for the bluetooth connection.
I only see a mac address. No name.
This is in the general settings but also in the vehicle specific setup. The weird thing is that In the setup on android (when pairing) I don’t see the mac address. It usually gives me a generic name like ODB2 which I then rename to the model of the car I use it in.

EDIT:
ok correction, I see that it uses the name ODBII with the mac address behind it. But.. I renamed the adapter to my car’s model.. This doesn’t show in Torque ???

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.

Follow me on twitter