Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque Kills Engine When Pulling Fault Codes on a Powerstroke

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Torque Kills Engine When Pulling Fault Codes on a Powerstroke
djed
Post Torque Kills Engine When Pulling Fault Codes on a Powerstroke
on: June 28, 2015 (GMT)

I have a 2001 Ford F-350 with a 7.3L diesel engine and am using ScanTool’s MX Bluetooth device with Torque Pro.

I (and many other Ford Powerstroke owners) have been experiencing a problem with Torque Pro when pulling fault codes – the app triggers the check engine (“SES”) light and, if the engine is on, kills the engine.

I consider myself very qualified when it comes to technology and have chosen (and tested) what I believe are the most conservative communication options in the app.

After using the OBDLink software (which has an option to disable polling of mode 09 sensors), I believe the issue may result from Torque trying to poll the mode 09 PID 02 (VIN query). I am told that Auto Enginuity will also crash when trying to access VIN information.

Is there a way to get the Torque developers to evaluate this issue and, if appropriate, implement a workaround?

Thank you.

djed
Post Re: Torque Kills Engine When Pulling Fault Codes on a Powerstroke
on: July 9, 2015 (GMT)

Bump

goosewagner
on: November 27, 2015 (GMT)

Would like to know this to.I have the pro version and it kills my powerstroke every time.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 27, 2015 (GMT)

Hi!

This is a known issue with a subset of powerstrokes built in about a 3 month window in 2001 at a certain factory in Mexico (iirc). Vehicles build before and after this 3 month window are not affected by the issue

The problem is to do with bad ECU firmware – There is a bug in the firmware and this will cause a reboot when some normal OBD2 commands are sent to it, a result of this is an engine shutdown (whilst the ECU reboots)

Ford know of this problem, however to my knowledge (and a few others that have enquired about it) have no plans on fixing it. I don’t know if the ECUs can be re-flashed with a later firmware (from a working series around the same time)

There is an option in the special settings to attempt to work around the problem on the ECU, however I cannot guarantee that it will still not shutdown the engine (I would not recommend using any OBD2 app with this particular ECU issue)

jimmie2001
on: December 2, 2015 (GMT)

It happens on my 1999 F350 Diesel as well, I Have a obd2 program called autoeginuity that works without this error. I am using a Vgate elm327 Bluetooth adapter when this error occurs, The truck dies right after the check engine light is triggered.

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 2, 2015 (GMT)

Hi!

If you compare the chassis VIN numbers with each other you’ll likely find that both trucks were built int he same factory at around the same time.

(actually the VIN would be helpful as I could then put a small note in the app about the issue if I can pin down the range)

There is still the option in the app settings to turn on for the bugged Ford ECUs (have you enabled it?)

Jpd4x4
on: December 19, 2015 (GMT)

I have a 2000 Ford f350 7.3 liter diesel. I checked the box for the error with the Ford ECU. Every single time I still pull codes of kills the engine. It says my ECU does not support mode 06

2000 Ford f350 7.3 liter diesel

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 20, 2015 (GMT)

Hi

Mode 06 support is down to the manufacturer – it’s something defined in the ECU when the vehicle is built (just like what sensors can and can’t be read)

I’ll see if I can improve fault code requests pulls via the app for the bugged ECUs – this will appear in the next update (though you shouldn’t need the engine running to pull fault codes)

Capp777
on: December 20, 2015 (GMT)

I too believe if Torque is requesting the
vin info using mode 9 call when reading
faults then it is very likely the cause for
engine stalling on the older Fords since their
vehicles are not fully OBDII compliant.

I also believe going into the adapter status screen
while the engine is running will also cause engine
problems. Again mode 9 calls.

A simple toggle to disable mode 9 calls in
the special settings/options menu might
be an easy solution for both cases?

Non supported PIDs may also cause engine stalling
on these older Ford Diesels so it’s highly recommended
that your PIDs be tested KOEO to verify working PIDs
before adding them to your dashboard displays.

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 23, 2015 (GMT)

Ok – I’ve done some work on this and you should see a big improvement in the next update when I send it out! – please be aware though that if you’re using a clone adapter thats ‘slightly’ iffy, that sometimes they can send the wrong command to the ECU, which may cause intermittent issues, so I still can’t recommend using the app with this problematic ECU

The ‘wrong command’ business is basically a timing issue between the bluetooth RX and the ELM chip in the adapter itself, so it’s to do with the hardware that I’m not able to workaround.

Glencairn
on: December 28, 2015 (GMT)

I’m not sure where/when my Ford diesel engine was built but it is a 2004 Focus in the UK and it stalls when you try to access fault codes when the engine is running. Luckily I discovered this when stationary outside my house rather than driving.

DIMDave
on: March 28, 2016 (GMT)

My version, as of 3/25, still kills the engine. Not a big issue for me. However, it says there are no stored codes, even after I generate some… Using BAFX adapter. Most sensors/gauges work but I can’t pull error codes (my primary goal).

2001 F250 PSD Texas

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

If the ECU resets due to the bug with it whilst fault codes are being requested then it’s likely not going to return any whilst it’s rebooting

Can you confirm that you have definitely ticked the ‘Ford F150 workaround’ option in the apps settings?

I’ll have a look at it again though to see if I can improve it further if you have the option enabled (though it’s a little difficult as I don’t have access to a vehicle with that kind of bugged ECU, I’ll still try) – can you tell me at what point in the app the ECU restarts? (when you connect, or pulling fault codes,etc)

DIMDave

I don’t think I’ve tried the F150 Mode, yet. I don’t have an F150 (which doesn’t have a diesel engine) so I disregarded that setting. I’ll try that and let you know.

If I recall, it gets to about 50% before it gives up.

2001 F250 PSD Texas

DIMDave

Okay, I just tried it with and without the F150 setting. Without, the scan runs quickly to 71% then says “no codes” and the ECU has been reset.
With F150 setting, it scans slower and more deliberately to 80% or more then resets, still no codes, and the engine will die just as the scan begins. (I don’t see a reason to scan KOER, anyway)
The build date on my truck is 8/00.

2001 F250 PSD Texas

Capp777

Just curious if issueing the mode 03
command manually (send command
or using terminal app) causes the engine
to stall or returns the encoded DTCs…

Since your diesel is not fully OBDII
compliant I’m curious if mode 03 is
supported?

Last month when I pulled codes from
a 2000 Ford Focus it also read the mode
09 VIN which may be an issue for you.
Issueing the mode 03 command manually
should tell which command is causing the
stalling.

Edit:

This link should help…

http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf

and this link too…

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#section_5

DIMDave

?Que? No comprende…

I do not play with computers for entertainment… If I can’t make it work with a few minor adjustments it’s likely to go in the trash.
I just spent my day trying to resolve issues that were not the original problem when I arrived, tasks that evolved into projects… wheel studs break off when you try to rotate the tires… drain plug strips out and the filter is seized when you try to change the oil…

Try to explain it in simple terms.

Thanks

2001 F250 PSD Texas

Capp777

OBDII uses mode 03 command to return
generic and legislated emissions DTCs and
uses mode 04 command to “reset”.

See the links in my prior post for more information.

Manufacturer specific DTCs not included in the
mode 03 response are retrieved using other
proprietary commands.

Torque Pro has a send command pushbutton
display which can be used to send the mode
03 command and test to see the response.

If mode 03 command works for you without
stalling your engine then its something else
causing the stalling.

I suspect the mode 09 VIN command used in
the DTC report. If you save the report in Torque
then later reload… the vin is presented along
with the name of the report.

Just another Torque user.

(Yo no habla espanol 😉 )

DIMDave
on: March 29, 2016 (GMT)

I’ll look at the links but right now all I hear is Charlie Brown’s teacher…

2001 F250 PSD Texas

DIMDave
on: March 29, 2016 (GMT)

Okay, I looked at the links and I recognized several words but it doesn’t mean anything to me.

You mentioned a button in Torque that allows for manual commands. I don’t see anything like that in my version. Where did you find it?

2001 F250 PSD Texas

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.

Follow me on twitter