Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » CAN protocol compatability?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CAN protocol compatability?
BB_Mike
Post CAN protocol compatability?
on: April 24, 2015 (GMT)

This is a technical question.
I have a fleet of vehicles that is using aftermarket controls for Engine and transmission management. I believe the CAN bus communications from my controller will be compliant with your software based on the fact that my controller is CAN 2.0b compliant. But it does not state OBD2. I am attaching a section of the protocol definitions for you to look at. What I am wanting to know is if Torque Pro software can listen and understand this protocol. The Data is transmitted at 500 kbps. Data is in Big-Endian format. When data contains two bytes, the high byte is transmitted first.

Of course, there is more data on the bus than what I have attached to this post. If the attached data maps to what you can read, the I am confident the rest will as well.

Thanks. I love what Torque Pro and I am hoping I can jump on the band wagon.

Old school stuff with new school ways

cintakc
Post Re: CAN protocol compatability?

should be able to, try a terminal program

moreause

torque can’t just read data on the bus

it’s it absolutly need to work in obd format

request and response

somebody ask for an modification that would permit to just sniff the buss and use the data

but i haven’t seen any thing about that

BB_Mike

That’s too bad. There is a lot of need in the aftermarket and performance market for a Virtual Gauges that source their information by sniffing CAN messages.

I have a CAN shield for Arduino. Is there a way to import my above protocol information and wrap it to transpose or transform it into an OBD2 format that Torque Pro can then interpret? It would emulate typical ODB2 send/receive with filler type values as there would only be one node on the bus. I realize this would be a subset of the typical OBD2 information available, but it would be enough for me and a lot of other people in the same position as me. Just typical car information like:

Engine Temp
RPM
speed
Trans’ temp
manifold pressure
O2 reading
…maybe a few others.

Is anyone willing to help or know a place I could go to and get help? Depending on the level of help, I’d be willing to pay for some effort.

I know of about 600 to 1000 people that would want what I am looking for right now. Has to be others that I am just not aware of.

Old school stuff with new school ways

moreause
on: April 25, 2015 (GMT)

yeah you should be good to do it with an arduino

i was using one to insert a 0-5V pressure signal into the can bus for torque to read

i used a custom pid…used the ECU adress but a non working/answering pid…and the arduino was responding to the request instead

cintakc

Torque program runs protocol 29-bit CAN 2.0
with an adapter ELM327 and special programs, you can just listen to CAN bus
name the specific example of car that you want to watch TCM

moreause

you are hard to comprehend

the guys if torque can do it

you say yes…and add with another program ??

cintakc

I beg your pardon, translation difficulties
two separate proposals
first Torque can work with CAN 29/500
second if you want to listen to the bus can, this can be done using an adapter ELM327 and related programs

moreause
on: April 26, 2015 (GMT)

so i’m not the only one having translation difficulty lol

in my case it’s french to english

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

Follow me on twitter