Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Consumption way out.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Consumption way out.
Pho3niX90
Post Consumption way out.
on: April 9, 2015 (GMT)

Hey guys.

So I have been doing a side project for fun where I take all values read from the car and do proper graphing without manual intervention of costs ect.

The current phase I am in is to check the fuel consumed and then calculate the costs on the fly, including maintenance costs ect. The problem now is that the readings are way off, I tried playing with the multiplier and set it to 1.8 but didn’t make much of a difference, I also have enhanced mpg calculation enabled.

On a side note, the reading of the fuel level from car ecu isn’t working, might actually be better if that were to work.

That car in question is a BMW E63 M6, 5L v10

focus-pocus
Post Re: Consumption way out.
on: April 10, 2015 (GMT)

If you’re using MAP sensor, try calibrating volumetric efficiency (VE), fuel consumption is proportional to it.

Here what I did:
1) fill up the tank, set 100% fuel remaining in vehicle profile (or you can reset it with a button on dashboard);
2) the next time you fill up note amount of fuel you put, and calculate VE:
suppose car has T gallons tank capacity, and you put C gallons of gas, but remaining fuel in vehicle profile is x%, which means Torque measured C_t=(100-x)/100*T gallons consumed;
then calibrated_VE=old_VE*C/C_t.

Example: my car has 17 gallons tank capacity and initially VE=85, I put 14 gallons, but Torque shows 10% remaining fuel, so that it measures 0.9*17=15.3 gallons, then calibrated VE=85*14/15.3=78 (approximately).

After I did this, I get fuel consumption with accuracy within 2% (with enhanced MPG calculation enabled).

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.009 seconds.

Follow me on twitter