Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Engine almost dies upon connection

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Engine almost dies upon connection
patthehat033
Post Engine almost dies upon connection
on: December 17, 2014 (GMT)

Hello,

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L SE, and I am currently using the torque app with via a USB connection. The app works great, however, I have noticed that if the car is running and torque connects to the ECU the engine will almost die and then the RPMs will shoot back up and it will run fine again. Sometimes the engine completely dies and I have to restart my car.

Why does it do this?

frodus
Post Re: Engine almost dies upon connection

Its likely a crappy OBDII adapter. I had an old adapter that did that because it crashed the CAN communications when first plugged in. I’d have to plug it in first, then start the car. If I plugged it in while the engine was running, it would almost always have an issue.

Getting a different adapter it went away for me.

patthehat033

When you say a crappy OBDII adapter, do you mean the OBDII port or my OBDII usb cable adapter? The usb cable adapter I am using is the OBD Link SX, it was supposed to be the best one for USBs.

moreause
on: December 18, 2014 (GMT)

try it in another car…hi end doesn’t mean defect free

or try a different adapter

Capp777

You might try setting the correct protocol
in the vehicle profile… the auto search maybe
causing issues?

patthehat033

Okay so I took of the Automatic Baud Rate and am using a specific baud rate and it is still almost dying. When I have the car not running but in the ON position, and torque detects the ECU, my check engine light and my battery light kick on, if that means anything?

It seems like it is pulling too much voltage from somewhere. I just don’t know where…

frodus
on: December 19, 2014 (GMT)

So are you plugging this in while the car is running?

You shouldn’t really be doing that anyway…. Key off, Engine off, plug it in. Then start car and pair to torque.

If its doing that still, then I’d talk to where you bought it…. it shouldn’t be doing that.

patthehat033

I have it setup so when the device is not receiving external power from the OBDII adapter, the live feed goes into sleep mode. So when I shut my car off, torque sleeps. Then when I start my car, torque goes out of sleep mode because it recognizes the external power, then when torque connects to the ECU, my car almost dies or completely dies. The “dieing” or dropping of RPMs is only for a split second though, when the ECU connects. It seems like it is pulling too much voltage from somewhere.

Capp777

Have you tried setting your specific
protocol in the vehicle profile like I
suggested earlier?

Look under the adapter status icon
functions for the protocol in use while
successfully connected then edit the
vehicle profile to use it.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4