Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » READ ME: Connected to Bluetooth but not to ECU

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: READ ME: Connected to Bluetooth but not to ECU
frodus
Post READ ME: Connected to Bluetooth but not to ECU
on: July 24, 2014 (GMT)

Connected to Bluetooth but not to ECU
by Frodus (and Piemmm)

I’m going to document this here, since a lot of people ask and I’ll try to make it more searchable.

If you’re having an issue where the bluetooth adapter will connect to torque, but torque is having issues connecting to the ECU, its usually because either the protocol isn’t being detected by the adapter correctly, or the protocol hardware (CAN, K-line, etc) is faulty.

So here are some things to try first:

– Check the vehicle profile. Make sure the protocol is set to ‘Automatic (Fast)’ and the OBD2 adapter is set to ‘As defined in Global OBD2 settings’. Then check that you have told Torque to use that vehicle profile.

– If that doesn’t work, then Set the protocol to “Automatic – Thorough protocol scan” and wait. It might take a few minutes connect the first time.

If neither of those work:
– Google the protocol for your year/make/model of vehicle. Enter that protocol into the vehicle profile manually and then try to connect.

If nothing works:
– The adapter likely has faulty hardware on the protocol the vehicle uses. This is unfortunately fairly common on some of clone adapters commonly found on E-Bay/Amazon. It usually manifests as working on one manufacturers vehicle, but not a different manufactures (different manufacturers use different wires/protocols in the adapter, and sometimes they’re not all working due to a fault). Unfortunately this will need you to get a replacement adapter

GaryDoug
Post Re: READ ME: Connected to Bluetooth but not to ECU
on: August 4, 2014 (GMT)

I recently bought 4 different devices on Amazon and they were all missing the parts for the J1850 and K-line. They were all different and all from different sellers.

Electrical test engineer

frodus
on: August 5, 2014 (GMT)

I can confirm that one of the ones I got on ebay did not have k-line and I couldn’t talk to my Girlfriend’s vehicle.

paul.spencer

Many thanks for posting the above info – I think that may be the problem I am having. I think it won’t connect to the ECU – I remember seeing some message about not connecting when I was trying to record data.

I will try the settings you suggested – it was not set on Automatic – fast. Changed it now, maybe that will sort it.

Canadian guy living in New Zealand driving a 2010 2.2L diesel Santa Fe.

cstrife

Corolla Fielder 2006 – not supported.
I bought this software to add some external gauges from my car to phone, trace trip and make diagnostic. Was surprised, that program can’t find ECU, even if I add init string from other program (HobDrive in this case). I drive JDM Toyota Corolla nze144, phone – LG G Flex. (my comment from Google play).

Sorry for my English, also, I can add that I have one more device connected to phone – Sony SmartWatch2. Can’t believe that this one can effect, cause different software is working. It shows me init string

ATSP6\nATAL\nATSH7E0\nATCRA7E8\nATST32\nATSW00

I really confused in this string only in ATCRA7E8…
Any Ideas why I have problem whis connection to ECU

Capp777

Have you tried adding your init
string to the custom init string field
in the vehicle profile?

Quote from Capp777 on July 21, 2014
Have you looked into using custom init
string… maybe it will help with what
you need.

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Custom_Init

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=819.2

cstrife
on: August 6, 2014 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on August 5, 2014
Have you tried adding your init
string to the custom init string field
in the vehicle profile?

of course i have. First of all, a put string from HobDrive to vehicle profile, Torque found correct protocol (that is also mansioned in init string), but anyway, can’t connect to ECU.

frodus
on: November 12, 2014 (GMT)

bump, wish this could be stickied Ian!

charlienofun
on: November 26, 2014 (GMT)

Thank you so much I was about to give up on Torque because it would take forever to detect the ECU! I’m really happy its all working properly and connecting re connecting without issue!

Thanks,

Charlie

shudman
on: March 24, 2015 (GMT)

I am having some issues here. I see the “Searching proto….” message and the ECU will never connect. So, I gamely tried to find the “set to manual protocol setting” in the settings menu….and I don’t see it anywhere (I am using the Lite version). I have a Vauxhall Corsa, which def supports ODBII using CAN/11bit/500k – so how do I force it to that ?
I tried “Faster communication” and “Disable ELM327 auto timing” (disconnecting in between).

The device works fine with a VW Passat with the same phone…so it something about the Corsa

any help appreciated

shudman
on: March 30, 2015 (GMT)

BUMP.
Can someone tell me if manual selection for the protocol is not shown in Torque Lite edition ? I assume Profile creation is the same deal ?

cintakc
on: March 30, 2015 (GMT)

your car runs on two protocols
for EOBD CAN and OBD CAN
by EOBD protocol should work automatically with Torque Lite
for OBD protocol will only work with Torque Pro

in Torque Lite is not possible to select the protocol

olivier154
on: April 12, 2015 (GMT)

i have some problem with the connection to ecu with my infiniti g35 2006 , i have tried all the setting and i dont find the protocol k1297-g35 in the app .. i dont know if is in there on other app
can u help me pls
sorry for bad english

HectorM52
on: January 25, 2016 (GMT)

I’m also in a 2005 G35 and cannot connect.

I recognize that some of the grammar/language in this thread is not well written, but I can’t seem to piece it together.

How can I get my car to read?

Indulga
on: May 9, 2016 (GMT)

Hi

I am new to this site. I bought a Vgate obd scan and downloaded the torque pro app on my phone. Everything comes up with a tick except connection to ECU i have tried the suggestions as above but still not working.I don’t know how to manually put in my protocol for my car. Has anyone else had the same problem with a Holden? I have a 1999 VT Equipe or is it a faulty obd? I live in New Zealand and bought mine off trade me.

Any help would be much appreciated

tom4342
on: August 20, 2016 (GMT)

My phone and tablet will find and connect the Kiwi scan tool but will not hook up to the ECU (98 Volvo v70)will try some of these suggestions

Just an old guy maintaining his wheels

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.

Follow me on twitter