Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford Powerstroke issue

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford Powerstroke issue
marvinmadman
Post Ford Powerstroke issue
on: May 3, 2014 (GMT)

2004 Excursion 6.0 turbo diesel with MX adapter. Works perfect for a few minutes then freezes. I can reconnect but I lose all Ford specific PIDs. I have to turn off the truck for it to start working again.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Ford Powerstroke issue
on: May 3, 2014 (GMT)

Hi!

Is torque still functioning when it ‘freezes’? (ie: can you still navigate around the screen) – if you can, then it usually means that the adapter is freezing up or there is something intefering with bluetooth (in other cases, a damaged OBD socket has caused the adapter to restart/reset, so check that the OBD2 socket looks ok physically)

marvinmadman
on: May 4, 2014 (GMT)

Everything looks good. Truck has a SCT tune in it also. Adapter works fine in other vehicles as far as I can tell. I traded the truck in a few hours ago lmao. Now I get to play with a Ford Flex TT/AWD

jimmysd
on: October 22, 2016 (GMT)

I am having the same problem. Just got a osblink mx . When I first started it there were all the readings on the dials I wanted. Then after about a minute it dropped the bluetooth and had to reconnect and barely any pids.

I have tried over and over it work with the extended pids after resting everything then nothing. What gives?

South Florida

jimmysd

by the way mine is a 2004 march build f350 6.0

South Florida

Capp777

Are you using a vehicle profile with the protocol
set specific to your vehicle eliminating the auto
search?

Just another user.

jimmysd

Thanks for your reply. I Just set up my vehicle profile like normal. I did not mess with the advance stuff at that point. After researching a little I found a thread about this and where to set it up. I then went inside the advanced setting and found what I thought was my vehicle protocol J1939. When you click on it, it says not supported. So now I don’t know what to do.

My truck is a 2004 California Ford F350 3/2004 build 6.0 Powerstroke. If I knew the proper protocol I would try it. I am afraid to use the one that says not supported in fear of messing up my ecu.

South Florida

Capp777

When you were using the auto search
for protocol did it ever connect to the
ECU?

If it did you can look under the adapter
status icon functions to see which protocol
was used.

VPW or 11-Bit CAN has been typical for
most Ford 6.0 users here.

J1939 is typically for commercial vehicles
which like you said Torque doesn’t
support yet …but I could be wrong.

jimmysd

Thanks again. I dd happen to look one time and it said ISO15765-4CAN11/500.

But as I was saying the first time I used it, it read the extended pids. A example and the one if any I was doing this for, was oil temp. I am not sure this is what it said during that time.

I also noticed in Adapter status on torque under adapter error count. It starts out
0 errors /0other faults. This is when I think it is reading all the extended pids. When ever it seems togo away there is usually a number by other faults.

Alos not to get it so confusing. Lets say I open torque and go to add a new gauge. When I get to the pids, it usually only the lame stock ones. Then all of a sudden when I am scrolling many more turn green as I am scrolling. I pick them they work and in les then a minute it goes back to only the stock ones, slow pid read rate and many even loses connection to adapter and even once the ecu.

This is driving me crazy. I will it to use the protocol i listed above and see what happens. Thanks again for your help

South Florida

jimmysd

Just went one a great run maybe twenty minutes. It was reading the extended pids I wanted beautifully. Then Bamm nothing no bluetooth connection. This was after about a 15 mile cruise up the freeway. All the way home it wouldn’t connect, i even tried to shutting off the truck and restarting it, nothing Then in my driveway I reset the mX and resycned it. Turn it on everything on. 5 seconds later not connected.

A couple of times I noticed it was connected , but not to the ecu. It would be in this state for a few minutes or so. I am starting to think its the bluetooth adapter MX

South Florida

Capp777
on: October 24, 2016 (GMT)

A quick thought… don’t forget to verify the
voltage at the DLC is sufficient to operate your
Obdlink MX Adapter.

There should be a built-in pid to read the voltage
at the adapter equivalent to AT RV in terminal
mode. Voltage (OBD Adapter).

jimmysd

How much voltage does it need ? I think i remember seeing it and it was 13.7 or 14. I will have to look again to be exact.

Although from reading another post I don’t think this mix adapter is comparable. I think the lx would solve the problem.

South Florida

Capp777

The OBDLink MX uses a different chip set than
the ELM327 but 13.7 – 14 VDC should be fine.

(Operating Voltage 8-18 VDC).

jimmysd

Yes I believe it said 13.7.

So today the LX came and I put it in. First start , had trouble reading the extended pids. It showed like 46 errors in other faults under adapter.

Then I restarted everything and perfect was reading all extended pids and maybe even some I dint see before. Then after 2 minutes same thing, nothing.

It still showed bt connected and ecu connected. Also there were no error counts either. That was funny when this would happen on the mx it would always show other error counts. I waited a second the it came back , ten after 45 seconds gone.

Then I had trouble even reconnecting back to blue tooth and ecu. I think Im done. I just wished it would have worked.

South Florida

Capp777

Does it happen without the predefined pids?

Have you tested each Ford pid for a successful
response and removing those that don’t respond?

s20055
on: February 26, 2017 (GMT)

Did you ever get this solved? I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and after about 3-5 minutes most of the PID Displays freeze. Those that remain active are the SAE PIDs typically.

Skootch
on: May 27, 2018 (GMT)

Did this ever get resolved. I’m having the same problem.

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 29, 2018 (GMT)

Hi!

This is usually if something consistently replies ‘NO DATA’ to a pid request meaning that you likely have a problematic OBD adapter or the connection to the ECU is causing repeating NO DATA replies

I’ll see if I can do something with this in one of the updates soon, though it’s not a bug, the ECU is saying there’s ‘no data’ at some point for your PID requests and that usually means a connection or adapter problem. The app does this because of another problematic vehicle (which is still within the sae spec, just) to work around issues there

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.069 seconds.

Follow me on twitter