Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Trip Distance No Longer Accurate

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trip Distance No Longer Accurate
JeremyB
Post Trip Distance No Longer Accurate
on: March 27, 2014 (GMT)

At some point, the trip distance on my ’06 Accord started to get short changed. Compared to the trip meter and Google Maps, the Torque trip distance is up to 20% off on the low side. Sometimes it’ll be 5% low, sometimes 10% low, but almost always inconsistently low, averaging about 10% too low.

I’ve tried using internal GPS, OBD, and external GPS. All methods give poor trip distance. I’ve swapped between a OBDLink and OBDLink MX, same issue. With the same phone, trip distance works on another vehicle (’14 4Runner). Same phone and OBDLink works on another ’06 Accord.

I’ve factory reset the phone, no difference.

I tried using OBDLink’s app and get a consistent 3.5% error (too low).

Any ideas?

—————————————
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid – E10 Petrol
2014 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L – E10 Petrol

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons
US Galllons, not Imperial

JeremyB
Post Re: Trip Distance No Longer Accurate
on: March 30, 2014 (GMT)

It’s been ‘behaving’ lately, although I’d been only using a trip screen showing trip distance and trip/inst/long term mpg.

Today I went back to my normal screen (rpm, coolant temp, maf, vacuum, OBD mph, throttle position) while driving. Flipped back to the trip screen and noticed the trip distance is ~20% off. Stopped at a light and reset my car’s trip distance and Torque’s trip counters. Same result. Under the trip screen, good agreement between reality and Torque’s trip distance. If I’m on the normal screen, trip distance lags behind.

My car uses the ISO 9141 protocol, getting about 8 PIDs/sec. Is having a screen with a 6 PIDs on it messing up the trip distance calculation?

Also, when I ‘reset trip counters’, long term trip mpg also resets. This bug was fixed a while ago, but seems to have crept back in.

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

JeremyB
on: March 31, 2014 (GMT)

PS No adapter errors.

Messed with it some more today. Entirely repeatable.

On a screen (screen 1) with inst/trip/long term mpg + trip distance. 3.5% error.

On a screen (screen 2)with MAF/MAP/OBD speed/O2 lambda/throttle pos/coolant temp/trip distance, error is 20% or so.

I can drive one mile with screen 1. 3.5% error.
Drive a second mile using screen 2, lose 0.2 miles of trip distance.
Drive a third mile with screen 1. 3.5% error again
Drive a fourth mile with screen 2, lose another 0.2 miles.
Repeat, repeat.

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

crwys
on: April 3, 2014 (GMT)

Its a shame a lot of threads started here are never supported here. I’m no pro or developer but here is what I can suggest:
1. Try forgetting the bluetooth adapter in the settings and reconnecting
2. Clear cache and data for torque
3. Reinstall torque
Run the trip meter without changing any of the settings, only defaults. And see if that works.

I hope I don’t run into the same problem as I am going to start using the trip meter tomorrow.

Maybe try a different android device? Maybe your phone gps is messed up?

Edit:
So everything works for me however the “push” trip reset button does not work, which is kinda annoying, but I guess I’ll just have to touch-hold and manually reset the widget if I have to.

JeremyB
on: April 10, 2014 (GMT)

Bump now that piemmm is back from holiday or whatnot.

crwys, I’ve already tried all the steps you’re suggesting. Thanks for the suggestions though!

edit: Added a bunch of sensors to be logged and let it sit on the trip screen on the way home today. Trip distance now inaccurate there too. Seems like excessive PIDs being displayed/logged is causing the error.

Below is a plot of the trip distance vs time for my trip home today. TD – manual calc uses the logged OBD mph and and time to calculate distance manually. You can see how the Trip Distance PID forgets to add distance from time to time and the error adds up. ~10% for this trip.

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

JeremyB
on: April 21, 2014 (GMT)

Bump

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

theguyz
on: April 21, 2014 (GMT)

Is your vehicle profile setup for proper vehicle at time of use?

Have you tried using GPS sats connected to display? One vehicle i have sees 20+ all time, other 12-15….

Also try using less displays as more using the slower for results for some( this is car ECU dependant ).

JeremyB
on: April 22, 2014 (GMT)

Yes, proper vehicle is selected.

I’ve used an external GPS (BT-Q818XT) that has excellent accuracy with no improvement.

Using less displays solves the problem, which suggests it is an issue with Torque that needs to be addressed. The protocol in the Accord only gets me 7-8 PIDs/sec. I’d expect inaccuracy in trip distance due to slow response while I’m speeding up and slowing, but there should be no error in trip distance when I’m driving at a constant speed even if I have 20 gauges open.

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

JeremyB
on: April 28, 2014 (GMT)

One month bump…

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

JeremyB
on: May 7, 2014 (GMT)

6 week bump

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

Paul99
on: May 9, 2014 (GMT)

I’m using the OBD2 MX USB adapter with a dash-mounted android 4 tablet. I”ve found the Trip mileage to be useless unless you link it to the mileage in the vehicle profile. When linked to the profile, you can use the mileage to track oil changes, long-term fuel economy, etc.

The short-term trip mileage re-sets during my short trips around town. Once in a while I’ll notice Torque Pro “crashes” / disconnects from the ECU then automatically reconnects. When it reconnects, short-term trip mileage starts at zero again. This also resets trip gas mileage making it pretty much useless too.

Maybe your numbers are off because of these dropped connections to the ECU (?)

I wish an update would link the gas mileage to the mileage in Vehicle Profile and give us a way to add more mileage links to profile mileage (multiple odometers).

JeremyB
on: June 12, 2014 (GMT)

I don’t have issues with is ‘crashing’ or resetting, it just slowly misses distance here and there and adds up to 10+% error.

I tested out the bug again on another Accord (2007). Bug still exists, got >10% error in trip distance. Enabled debugging and sent results to Ian.

At this points I’ve tried 3 adapters, 2 phones, and two cars and the error persists in all configurations. It leaves the issue lying in Torque’s court. I’d appreciate a fix!

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

Capp777
on: June 12, 2014 (GMT)

You didnt mention if the two phones used
the same external gps… but just in case you
havent tried it yet there is a special setting
for Torque Pro for gps error. (Under special
settings).

There is also a toggle for resetting trip
distances during brief stops which may
help with the previous post’s connection
reset.

JeremyB
on: June 13, 2014 (GMT)

I mentioned in the original post that I used both external GPS, internal GPS, and OBD speed (GPS disabled). None of those options made any difference.

In the original post, I stated the same phone and OBDLink works on another Accord, but I was looking at the trip screen. Today when I had it on my normal gauge screen, the trip distance discrepancy was there.

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 15, 2014 (GMT)

Hi

Some adapters can disconnect from the app, and when torque senses this and reconnects, it will automatically set the trip distance to 0. You can stop this reset behaviour by turning on the “Ignore short gaps between trips” option in the apps trip settings

The cause for the trip distance under-reading is very likely one of the following:

* (most likely) the GPS not updating or staying ‘stationary’ for long periods of time. This can be caused by poor reception (usually if the phone/tablet isn’t in good view of the sky or is in a built-up area)

* The adapter frequently disconnecting, or pausing, or having a high error count (when gps isn’t being used for distance calculations) If you have any error counts displayed for the adapter then you should get it replaced. The error count for any ELM327 adapter should always be 0 on a properly functioning unit. Malfunctioning adapters can cause a fair few issues getting accurate data

That’s about all it could be. I am due to add an ‘ignore GPS for distance calculations’ option to the advanced settings in the next app update for people with poor GPS visibility **EDIT-already done see below** (GPS is traditionally preferred due to the greater accuracy over longer trip distances that it provides)

(apologies for the late replies! – unfortunately I’ve not been on holiday – just a lot of emails to get through and cool new features to discuss! hopefully the above should provide some help/insight)

EDIT: Forgot I’ve already added the ‘do not use GPS for distance calcs’ option into the apps special settings – try enabling it and see if it cures the issue you have

JeremyB
on: June 17, 2014 (GMT)

What makes me believe it is a Torque bug is I can repeat the issue by just changing what screen I’m on.

Example:
This morning, I crank up Torque and leave it on the ‘Trip screen'(see below, screenshots are from yesterday). Travel for a bit and pull over to compare the car’s trip distance (via instrument panel) and Torque’s trip distance. I verified there are no error counts for the adapter.
Car – 3.0 miles
Torque 2.98 miles

Swap Torque over to the ‘Gauges screen’ (see below) and start back on the road. Once I get to work, I verified there were still no adapter errors.
Car – 4.0 miles
Torque – 3.61 miles
An error of ~10%.

* (most likely) the GPS not updating or staying ‘stationary’ for long periods of time. This can be caused by poor reception (usually if the phone/tablet isn’t in good view of the sky or is in a built-up area)

The issue occurs while GPS is disabled, so I’ve ruled that out.

* The adapter frequently disconnecting, or pausing, or having a high error count (when gps isn’t being used for distance calculations) If you have any error counts displayed for the adapter then you should get it replaced. The error count for any ELM327 adapter should always be 0 on a properly functioning unit. Malfunctioning adapters can cause a fair few issues getting accurate data

I have 0 adapter errors and still have the issue. I have an OBDLink and OBDLink MX, condition occurs with both of them.

EDIT: Forgot I’ve already added the ‘do not use GPS for distance calcs’ option into the apps special settings – try enabling it and see if it cures the issue you have

I’ve already tried disabling GPS via the phone, which doesn’t fix the issue, but I’ll try this anyways.

apologies for the late replies! – unfortunately I’ve not been on holiday – just a lot of emails to get through and cool new features to discuss! hopefully the above should provide some help/insight)

I heard rumours of a new mini-Ian, so I’m guessing your hands are full!

—————————————

[X] Enhanced Fuel MPG
[X} Faster Communication
Units:
Use Miles
Use Feet
Use Gallons

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 18, 2014 (GMT)

Hi

No worries – sorry this is taking a bit of two-and-fro-ing to find out what’s going on

Can you tell me if the following settings in the ‘OBD2 adapter settings’ is enabled:

‘Update Trip distance only when connected to ECU’

It should only stop logging if that option is enabled if the adapter loses connection, but you’ve said you have a OBDLink (and they are generally extremely well built and don’t have dropout issues (unless the android device has issues)), so it shouldn’t be this, though I cant rule out this option having an uninteded effect (it will help me pinpoint in code what to look at)

The screens thing you mention is also interesting – that could well be an issue and I’ll be having a closer look at that

EDIT: one more thing I need to check – can you tell me the PID update speed that your adapter is doing (in the adapter status screen) as this also can have a bearing on what’s going on in the app

Thanks!

Paul99
on: June 18, 2014 (GMT)

Hey Jeremy, why don’t you try using the mileage trim adjustment in vehicle profile ? When i changed my tire size, i compared my torque Pro odometer and speedo to my GPS digital speedo in the dash. I set my odometer trim in vehcile profile to 0.97.

focus-pocus
on: April 10, 2015 (GMT)

Guys, did you find a solution?

I am having exactly the same problem with my Acura CL and latest version of Torque Pro. I have OBDLink adapter, no error counts, PID counts/sec: average 7.3, maximum 8.0 . I also tried disabling ‘Update Trip distance only when connected to ECU’ , but that did not change anything.

I always get Trip distance 5-15% lower than car odometer (or Garmin GPS unit, which is pretty close to car odometer).

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.

Follow me on twitter