Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Substitute OBD functions with custom PID functions

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Substitute OBD functions with custom PID functions
Vasilich
Post Substitute OBD functions with custom PID functions. Planned?
on: March 14, 2014 (GMT)

Hi Ian,
I am starting to use your great app Torque.
As I have rather old car (Mazda 626 from 1997) it marks some OBD PIDs as supported, but delivers only 0 for these functions. I have found some custom PIDs that deliver proper information, but haven’t found a way to substitute these functions for Torque to use them for internal calculations. E.g. Speed [0D] delivers always 0, but custom PID delivers proper vehicle speed value.
Is there any way to force Torque to use speed sensor defined by me for MPG and trip calculations?
If not – have you considered to add this possibility?

Thanks in advance.

JosephA
Post Re: Substitute OBD functions with custom PID functions
on: March 16, 2014 (GMT)

You can create your own custom PID and use that instead.
From the Torque main screen hit your menu button and select settings then select Manage Extra PIDS/Sensors. You should be presented with a fairly blank page. Press the Menu button and select Add Custom PID.

To give you an example of how PID entries look:
In the Manage Extra PIDS scree, hit the Menu button again and select Add Predefined Set and select Other. This will add a single PID to the list. Now press the PID in the list and select Edit. You can now see the entries needed to create your own.

Good luck!

Vasilich
on: March 16, 2014 (GMT)

Thanks for reply, but i didn’t ask how to add custom PIDs. I asked how to force Torque to use my custom PID (that I already use for normal indication). E.g. for calculating MPG any software (Torque also) need to know MAF/MAP sensor readings, some correction coefficients, and vehicle speed. For the latter Torque always uses OBD Speed sensor [0d], which always delivers 0 km/h for my car. And the question was if it is possible to use my custom PID for speed sensor reading when calculating MPG or trip distance or average trip speed etc.

frodus
on: March 17, 2014 (GMT)

No, you’ll have to do your own calculation through the use of custom PID’s…. which is why he chimed in. You’ll have to create a PID for your alternate speed, as well as another PID that has an equation inside that calculates the MPG.

There’s no way to give torque an alternate speed sensor at the moment.

Vasilich
on: March 17, 2014 (GMT)

thanks for reply.

Ian, have you considered to implement that kind of substitution in future versions of Torque?

Vasilich
Post Re: Substitute OBD functions with custom PID functions. Planned?
on: April 11, 2014 (GMT)

gentle bump for Ian…

Vasilich
on: May 13, 2014 (GMT)

still no reply/official statement from the author…

Vasilich
on: June 2, 2014 (GMT)

still no answer from author… :(

frodus

Why not make your own PID? Problem solved.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

A couple of people have asked for this (mostly to do with the speed pid so far)

PID overrides are pencilled in the features so you’ll be able to over-ride it in an update some time. I just need to update the GUIs to accept this in a way that’s not going to confuse users and it should be then good to go!

Until it’s done, the only option is to use a custom PID, though that doesn’t allow you to change the internal functions in the app, yet

Vasilich
on: June 3, 2014 (GMT)

Thanks Ian. Can you give us approx. schedule to get this function?

In DashCommand app there are some PIDs that can be substituted, but the list is very limited (MAF, MAP and 2 more, don’t remember) – and no Speed PID substitution.
I would be fully satisfied if you can do it even without GUI – with some Config file i can edit manually (simple key-value pairs like
010d=22111a
010a=2216e4
etc.)

Vasilich
on: October 22, 2014 (GMT)

gentle bump for Ian

Vasilich
on: October 27, 2015 (GMT)

after one year of waiting, still hoping…
Bump

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 4, 2015 (GMT)

Hi

Having a think about this one now. It’s a little more involved than you would normally imagine so I need to make sure it’s done properly, and works for all the situations I can throw at it (there are quite a few)

The creation of the ‘override’ PIDs will be via the normal ‘extended PIDs/Sensors’ menu when it’s done, so look for it there when you see it mentioned in the changelog.

Vasilich
on: March 23, 2016 (GMT)

Hi Ian,
is it still “work in progress”? Haven’t seen anything similar in changelog yet…

posicat
on: March 23, 2016 (GMT)

This would really help me as I can only read my gas level via custom PID. If the rest of the software could get than number, I’d get more statistics.

Vasilich
on: May 23, 2016 (GMT)

Gentle bump…

Vasilich
on: July 29, 2016 (GMT)

I believe that I will buy me other car before Ian will implement it (maybe that was Ian’t intention ?) :/

Vasilich
on: August 5, 2016 (GMT)

Any comment on it, Ian? ETA, or “won’t implement” for whatever reason, or smth different?

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 9, 2016 (GMT)

Will implement – due to the changes though I had to be careful and have been putting it back a bit.

However there’s a new easier opt-in beta feature in google play which means I can release updates for you to test without the risk of sending a bad version to everybody’s phones in case I haven’t caught a bug in testing, which is now making this easier.

I’ll be using the beta feature for the Mode 5/6 accessibility changes(from the PID editor), the ‘long’ PIDs changes I’m doing, and also the substitute function.

The substitute function I have to be caseful with though (use cases always helpful) as obviously it /could/ or /could not/ be vehicle specific! and you might not want it for another vehicle. The thing is that I have to make sure it’s obvious that it’s being used and that there is the minimum chance for confusion from the user if they accidentally select it (or forget they’re using it) (and yes, you’ve waited long enough for this feature!)

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.

Follow me on twitter