Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Calculation As Custom Display

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calculation As Custom Display
thwibble
Post Calculation As Custom Display
on: March 10, 2014 (GMT)

Hi,
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I want to have a display that is:

Engine oil temp – coolant temp

The difference between those is important for my F-350 truck.

I’ve got the Ford PID’s loaded and I can see the two variables, but I don’t know how to turn that into something I can display.

Thanks.

frodus
Post Re: Calculation As Custom Display

Create an extended PID. Go to “Manage extra PID’s/Sensors”
hit menu and “Add custom PID”

OBD Mode and PID”: Leave this blank
Long Name: temperature Difference
Short Name: temp diff
Equation: VAL{Engine Oil temperature} – VAL{Coolant Temp}

The parts above between the {} must match the long name of the other PIDs EXACTLY.

Now go to add a gauge, and select “Temperature Difference” as the PID you want to display.

Read up here:
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=4532.0

Farmboy1539

The big question is what year is your truck and which engine do you have? If you’ve got an 90’s OBS 7.3L then you can’t monitor the coolant temperature because our PCM uses engine oil temperature instead. However I’m not sure if you own a Superduty might need to look into that though.

While your at it check out these two forums depending on which truck you have lots of things that might help you out.

OBS: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1292169-torque-app-on-an-obs-powerstroke.html

Superduty: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1289406-torque-pork-as-in-bacon.html

“Some of the formulas included in the extended Ford PID package for TFT and IAT don’t work like they should. There are other PIDS being developed privately that make it all work.

Here is a link to PowerStroke Nation where these guys are working on it. But first a disclaimer. READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END of the thread before you start building PIDs. The formulas are being developed though the thread and the ones listed in the first few pages are WRONG. On Page 8 of the thread m j links to a dropbox spreadsheet where he is updating the PIDs with the latest revisions. These are all experimental and aren’t perfect, but some of them seem to be close.” -DIYMechanic via Ford Truck Enthusiasts.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299202

I’m no expert and I just recently got mine setup a few weeks ago. These are just some of the things I found that helped me. Figured I’d passer on to a fellow Ford truck owner.

Capp777

Farmboy1539… Fyi.

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=3903.0

Farmboy1539

Thanks for the link Capp, I’ll have to do some reading and get caught up. Just joined the forums to ask a question of my own and saw this post. Figured I’d stop by and help a little first if I could.

thwibble
on: March 11, 2014 (GMT)

Excellent – thanks for all the help there, folks.

I tested the Ford set of PIDs on the Excursion last evening and the EOT sprang in to life whereas with the standard set it was null.

I’ll go through the links and info supplied – thank you!

thwibble
on: March 27, 2014 (GMT)

OK – so, got the calculation working – thank you for your help there. I’ve noticed though that a display based on: EOT-coolant

…often gives a different answer than what’s displayed on the two display widgets if you do the math in your head.

The two displays seem to be right. IE, when I turn the key the EOT and coolant read ambient temp. Then, for about ten mins the EOT lags behind the coolant until everything has warmed up – and for a brief moment when they equal the calculation gives zero.

However, once the engine has warmed up and the EOT is greater than the coolant by say, five degrees, the calculation reads smaller values, like 2.5, 2.8.

The EOT and coolant displays seem to be reading properly, but the calculation is ‘off’.

Any thoughts?

Capp777
on: October 31, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from ColdDarkHart on October 28, 2016
I am just really learning to use torque pro and this feature may already be in the program and I am just unable to find. I would like to create a guage to show the delta between two other guages. In my case with a 6.0 PSD I would
Like to see the delta between Engine Oil Temp and Engine Coolant Temp to,monitor the condition of my oil cooler as in these trucks the oil cooler is a known failure point and a delta of more than 10 degrees F indicates trouble.

End Quote.

Bump for new user…

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.

Follow me on twitter