Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » New: Plugin support(3rd party add-ons, PIDs, etc)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: New: Plugin support(3rd party add-ons, PIDs, etc)
BoultVolt
Post Re: New: Plugin support (3rd party add-ons, PIDs, etc)
on: November 6, 2011 (GMT)

Hi.. New forum member here. I’m still waiting on the device and just trying to decide if I want to go android or Iphone for the initial development. Personally I’m an iphone users now but that can change.

I’ve been digging around here, the wiki and other places and could not find if the PlugIn Support includes
ELM327 “Monitor all” mode. In particular I want to monitor the CAN bus of my Volt (11 bit 500kbps) for all traffic. The Volt has many non-standard PIDs and I want to capture/log them all and then eventually develop a plugin for the Volt showing the most interesting of these data. I know the ODB2 device with ELM327 can passively monitor all data, but not sure if torque plug in can enable that mode. (

If I can build on Torque Plugin, the decision is a no-brainer for me.. but if I have to already know the PIDs and/or start from scratch to get my Volt specific PIDs , then its less clear. (I’ve not don droid development before but my students have so i’m sure I’ll pick it up quick enough). Seems the recent additions allow any PID if I know it, but can I monitor/log them all?

Also was is the practical limits to bluetooth-based logging, both in Kbps and in total storage?

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 6, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Bluetooth speeds are pretty good – the most limiting factor is the ECU and the rates it responds to requests. If you are using ATMA (with no filters) then on modern vehicles which transmit a lot of data over canbus, you may see some buffer overflows (though if you filter you should be fine)

At the moments, the plugins query sensors that torque knows about, but also provides a one-off command interface for firing off a PID request and getting a response (with header).

AT MA over the plugin interface isn’t possible,.. yet. (I just happen to have recently added an MonitorAll implementation to Torque for some ECU specific stuff internally so this is not too difficult to implement over the plugin API). I’m not sure what you’re up to :-) but PID requests are a very straightforward using the plugin API (don’t forget the ATMA would stop PID requests for the duration you needed to ‘monitor all’)

AT MA, does monitor all data, though ECU’s don’t send PID data normally – you have to request it. So you may get to see all kinds of data, but something like O2 data (etc) may not be sent

BoultVolt
on: November 7, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks for the rapid reply.

What I’m up to is trying to map PIDs that are not documented or sequences I don’t know what to query :-). Some of the volt specific things are documented publicly, others are not. We’re still trying to learn what controls cause what responses. E.g. I want to know what happens when I select mountain mode, or when the ICE starts and charging happens, when the temperature is cold and it forces the ICE to start, etc….

If I can do the MA in plain torque (and log it all) that would also be enough for that aspect. Then I’ll figure out what PIDs to monitor. I like the ability to overlay logs with video so I can better analyze cause and effect

jdwx
on: November 14, 2011 (GMT)

New user, so maybe I just missed this….

Running cheapie ELM 327 BT

Curious about ABS Wheel Speed Sensor info….

I do a lot of AWD stuff, and am currently playing with a 97 yukon ABS issues, wondering which hub to replace.

Would seem a simple task to see this info? Or no? Or is there a plugin I haven’t found?

Love this app, I’m sooooo impressed and thnkful for it. Much thanks!!!

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 14, 2011 (GMT)

ATMA is likely to not give that much in terms of usable information for deriving PIDs, as you’ll just be monitoring general traffic on the bus (which is all kinds of formats and you won’t see PIDs zipping about using this method as you have to request them if you want their data)

Also, on some vehicles, the sheer volume of traffic may overwhelm the adapters buffering, so you may need to use filters to filter out only the data you want (again, you won’t see normal PIDs zipping about)

ABS wheel speeds (for ford) can be read by using the ford predefined PIDs (that can be added through the ‘Manage extra sensors’ part of the settings, (dependant on ECU support). If you know any other PIDs, you can also easily add them to the app (you can even share them through CSV files for others to use)

Older vehicles ABS systems are proptrietary, (and there’s little information on each implementation). If I had enough information and could run some tests here, I could likely add support. Modern vehicles are now moving to CANBUS, and this ‘proprietaryness’ is slowly vanishing.

500_man
on: November 22, 2011 (GMT)

I am not understanding why the PID scanner returns nothing.

I have a Ford Mustang (GT500) and I’ve done the regular scan and full scan and have discovered exactly 0 PIDs. The ones in Manage Extended PIDs (or whatever it’s called) are mostly non-functional, perhaps 3 return any data. I am trying to figure out how to see useful data like the actual air charge temperature after the supercharger and the readings from the OEM wideband sensor in the car. I’m completely exhausted and discouraged trying to figure out why such information is nearly impossible to find.

Edit: It seems like the AFR readout may be a wideband reading. They do such a good job of imitating a switching type & it doesn’t richen up until it’s really deep into boost.

Edit2: I did a search and found this thread that gives me some ideas to get IAT2 working.

500_man
on: November 28, 2011 (GMT)

So I ran a full scan again today. I watched it scan right through 2 PIDs that I know return data, yet the Torque Scan plugin did not report finding these PIDs. Does it ignore PIDs that show up elsewhere in torque – even when doing a full scan?

mixxy
on: December 2, 2011 (GMT)

Hi
I did a torque scan PID finder and it found two new fields
I had to then cancel it so it generated an e mail to send but somehow I lost that E Mail

Now when I scan it doesnt find the two, has it been logged somewhere to skip if scanned again ?

priusfan
on: January 20, 2012 (GMT)

Hello,
I come here with some infos regarding the PIDs/Sec we can get using different interfaces.
the test was made on a Prius Gen3, CAN 500k , 11 bits.
I checked the throughput using 2/3 interfaces:
1) the bigone from http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-bluetooth.html with BT
2) the smallone from Andy Honecker : http://batman.homelinux.com/blog/bluetooth-obdii-adapter/ with BT
3) the same bigone using USB instead of BT

I wanted to check the number of PID/Sec

The test was made on a tablet asus transformer prime (android 4 , ICS).

the results are quite interesting:
1 : 27.4
2: 27.8
3: 62.4

between 1 and 2, results are similar, cost of the second one is half of the first one. size of the second one is very small.

between 1 & 3: it is exactly the same hardware, the only difference is BT versus USB.

conclusion BT brings a huge latency , USB is more than twice faster….

some more infos: both interfaces were using the same 115kbps speed.

In the beginning, I had some trouble with USB because I prepared some time ago the bigone for 230kbps, so I had to fall back to 115.

I tried on both interface to tweek the RN42 for latency without result…

I submitted the results to Ian, He gave me a very interesting explanation.
he will certainly come here for comments.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 21, 2012 (GMT)

Hello :-)

The results you have quoted are about right for the devices used. The STN1100 (with a normal bluetooth radio unit if you are using the OBDLink) can only manage about 27 PIDs over bluetooth. and 60+ isn’t unheard of over USB

However, the newer OBDLink MX (which has a very optimised bluetooth radio unit on the same board) can handle over 50PIDs/second over bluetooth (this is using a Galaxy S2 with the OBDLink MX. (you may not see a comparable increase in speed with the HTC Evo devices though as it’s then down to the bluetooth radio firmware on the android device)

The MX can handle over 100PIDs/sec over bluetooth (on a PC), on Android, it’s subject to the bluetooth drivers on the device itself and the latencies involved. (the fastest I have seen to date over bluetooth is 66PIDs/sec (peak) on a Samsung Galaxy S2)

Bluetooth as a medium isn’t the limiting factor, it’s the radio firmwares and drivers.

timp
on: January 22, 2012 (GMT)

Ian

Is there a specific PID for oil pressure or oil temp for a 2009 Infiniti G37?

Thank you

Tim

dazsmith
on: January 24, 2012 (GMT)

I purchased the Mazdaspeed PID’s. They work great thanks!

bmust67
on: February 19, 2012 (GMT)

I would agree on a shift light

profender
on: February 22, 2012 (GMT)

I would purchase pid for oil teml and pressure for a Chevy 2500 6.0 2006 can anyone help?

sasha
on: March 20, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from bmust67 on February 19, 2012
I would agree on a shift light

Shift light plug-in exists – in a free and a paid version on the Android market.

Just surviving, trying to avoid speeding tickets.

Try the Shift Lights for amazing Torque!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alanco.ShiftLightsPro

torque_ent
on: April 6, 2012 (GMT)

I think this a great program and well worth my money.

I am going to write an Android program tomorrow which will display custom PIDs from an ECU I am working with.

Today I wrote a program for windows that will display the custom pids for me reading from ELM327 bluetooth.

Unless I am missing the source code or something in the plugin documentation, unfortunately it doesn’t look like torque will support reading of these pids, since this ECU requires seed/key algo calcs, and I currently don’t see any mechanism to support this in torque.

What I will write tomorrow will probably just output the data I am monitoring from the ECU to a text file or console. It would be great to get this data into Torque.

Perhaps the ability is already in Torque to read from a temp file (on the sd card for example written to by my external program) and then display that data in a graph or dial “real time”.

If this is a new feature request, I think this would be a really great addition to the program and open up a lot of possibilities to be able to read values from a text file (fore example) and display them in torque.

inkspot1967
on: April 6, 2012 (GMT)

Hi im new here i have a 2008 mini cooper s supercharged im looking to find out how i can read oil pressure and oil temp and volts.

rgjones
Post New data connector?
on: April 24, 2012 (GMT)

Hi,
Newbie alert but I’ve had a good look through the forum before posting.
Can I write a ‘data src’ plug-in that provides data for the app instead of the bluetooth/ODB2?
I have a CANbus based system on an electric car and want to send that data so folks can view on torque.
I would use existing PIDs where appropriate but likely need to add new ones for unique data such as various temperatures, currents, state of charge, and various state bits (usual doors plus electric car specific charge-door).
(Perhaps after some RTFM I could still use standard PIDs and simply rename the gauges).

I see in the torque setup tcp/ip port settings.
Where can I find more info on the data format the app expects over that interface?

SlowSrt4
on: April 25, 2012 (GMT)

I found a few specific Pids for my vehicle, what can I do with them? They look like this: param pid_address=”1379″

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 26, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

Yes, the AIDL interface provides a mechanism so that you can pass data into the app (though it hasn’t been used much) – the method you want is likely:

/**
    * Add / Update a PID from your plugin to the main app, Your PID is keyed by name.  This can be used to set a value on a PID in Torque.
    * @param value       The value to be shown in the display 
    * @param stringValue A string value to be shown in the display - overrides 'value' when not null - note(try not to use numeric values here as they won't be unit converted for you).  Set to null to revert to using the 'float value'
    */
   boolean setPIDInformation(String name, String shortName, String unit, float max, float min, float value, String stringValue);

Find any issues, let me know!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.

Follow me on twitter