Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » 2001 Volvo V70 T5 not pulling error codes

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2001 Volvo V70 T5 not pulling error codes
_Chipwiz_Ben_
Post 2001 Volvo V70 T5 not pulling error codes
on: March 14, 2011 (GMT)

My check engine light is on with the unhelpfully unspecific ‘Engine System Service Required’ message. This is NOT the service light, before somebody suggests that. I believe it’s the cam position sensor since it cranks without firing for a while, then fires and runs perfectly well. I can turn it off and on again and it will start instantly. Whether hot or cold, if it has not been running for approx 20 mins plus it cranks for about 5-8 seconds.

Using a Kiwi adapter and the latest Torque free, I cannot pull the DTC from the car. My friend has Torque full and he can also not pull any DTCs. I can reliably pull an array of running data though – revs, load, temperature, timing advance etc so the communication between Torque and the car is perfect. I know Volvo employ some money grabbing techniques to hold on to as much data as they can, but I was under the impression that DTCs should be able to be pulled by law.

I can clear the light, by the way. But after a few starts, it inevitably returns.

Are there any mystic techniques to pull the DTCs, or is it something that’s not quite finished in Torque yet? I was rather hoping that it would as I’ve no problem paying for the app, I just hoped that it would be able to read my fault codes which is why I borrowed my friends first.

HTC Desire, CyanogenMod 7.

Cheers,
Ben

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: 2001 Volvo V70 T5 not pulling error codes
on: March 14, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

DTC pulling should be working if the car has implemented OBD2 properly, Torque pulls all 3 DTC registers so something should display on the screen if you have a fault stored in the ECU

I have heard about some vehicles being limited in terms of what is available to be pulled (certainly as far as different sets of OBD sensors being available, depending on which country the vehicle was destined to be sold to consumers in)

It might be the adapter, you can usually rule it out be disabling ‘fast mode’ if its enabled and retrying. It could also be a bug, but I spent quite a lot of time on the fault code side of things recently, so that a bug should be unlikely

Ian

_Chipwiz_Ben_
on: March 15, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I connected up again tonight and tried it without fast mode enabled but was still not able to pull error codes.

Is there anything else you’d suggest?

Kind regards,
Ben

dagrimey1
on: March 16, 2011 (GMT)

It’s a Volvo they are quite limited on the ECU. You might need to get scan at Volvo tech or dealer.

Tisho
on: May 24, 2011 (GMT)

I have S80 T4 1999. With free version of Torque i read/clear trouble codes stored in ECU(engine controller unit), but nothing more.

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 24, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Could you send a comms debug log (from the realtime information screen) after it has been connected for a minute, I’ll have another look at Volvo ECU support but can’t promise anything at the moment!

droorda
on: July 26, 2011 (GMT)

I have a 98 Volvo S70 with a very similar issue.
I can pull the pending error codes without issue, but cannot get the fault codes. I can reliably clear the faults though.
I have on rare occasion been able to pull the fault codes, but lose the ability to pull codes when I Clear the current faults.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I can provide anything to help figure out what is happening let me know

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 27, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Check the ‘error count’ in the adapter information screen after the app has been connected for a while – it should always be ‘0’

Also, in the fault code retrieval activity, if you press ‘menu’ there is a ‘refresh’ option. Try that a few times – if sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, then it is almost certain that you have a faulty OBD2 adapter.

If you have sent the clear faults command, then you clear the faults from the ECU and it may take a drive cycle for them to reappear again. It could also be the sign of a bad adapter

If you let the app connect for a minute, then go to the realtime information screen, press ‘menu->more…->send debugging info’ (type a quick description), then I’ll take a look at the debugs for you. The fault code pulling in Torque works, so at this point I suspect it’s either the vehicle being too old (unlikely as you said you were able to pull codes) or the adapter could have issues (more likely). The debug should help clear things up.

droorda
on: July 29, 2011 (GMT)

The error count is 0.
I refreshed several times and I get nothing.
When I tested the app around Aug. 2010 it would read the codes without issue. When I reset my device around April 2011 I was also able to reliably read my codes many times. After clearing them I was no longer able to and have not been able to get it to again event after several more resets of my device.
I sent a debug log last night also. Hopefully that will shed some light on this. It may be partially caused by Volvo not fully implementing OBD in the 98 model.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi, got the debugs thanks!

Here’s the fault code request (03):
1311884240727 {– 03
1311884241169 –} NO DATA

So it’s replied with ‘no data’ (there was no response to the fault code request) however, 07 (pending):
1311884243149 {– 07
1311884243459 –} 47 00 00 00 00 00 00

Did respond, but had no pending faults.

It’s a little unusual to see this – it could be the adapter, though the only way to find out is to plug several in and try them all (which I wouldn’t expect you to do). From the debug I can see that you seem to have a good adapter.

I sent out an update this morning which improves the fault code reading for some of the clone adapters a bit, but I don’t expect it to help in this case….

I’m going to hazard a guess that it’s a volvo specific fault code that has no OBD counterpart, especially if the vehicle is close to the implementation date of OBD2 (which 1998 is). It’s either that, or the adapter isn’t pulling the codes (though I would expect to see other problems if it was that).

I recall reading somewhere that you could put a lamp somewhere on the diagnostic port and read-out the blinking lights to get the fault code manually ie, something like: 5-4-1 which would give you a volvo specific fault code….

something like described here (though you may have better luck with google):
http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/3rnw2-read-fault-codes-reset-srs-lamp-january.html

Regards

Ian

droorda

Thanks for the Response. I will try to find a standard OBD reader to see if it will pull the fault codes, that way I can at least determine if it is an issue with the car. I should also confess that this is not a high quality adapter, it was order from china.
As for the fault codes, I don’t think they have changed from when they were readable.
Unfortunately my car does not work with the lamp trick either. It is one of volvo’s bad years were you almost need custom software to work with the OBD. I know it requires custom software to reset the service light.

droorda
on: September 19, 2011 (GMT)

An update on the issue.
I borrowed a regular code reader and was able to read the error codes without issue. Now that I have done that the application also reads the codes without issue. Not sure what this means. I have not tried clearing the codes to see if the error returns.

X40Autotech
on: October 3, 2011 (GMT)

Hi!

I bought the full Torque a cuple of weeks ago, been waiting for the OBD2 device to arive.
Got the ELM327 (Chinese i believe.) today.

I have a Volvo V40 T4 2003 tuned by Autotech. (Stage -3)
The “race cat”s lower resistance triggers the Check Engine light. (ECU thinks the cat is defect) So ive been used to drive with the light on all the time, except when it’s time for the every year inspection. Then i have to visit some garage to get the fault code cleared.
After a week, to a cuple of months the light comes back on. (Then the car’s inspected for another year.)

I bought Torque, and the EML327 so i could reset the light as soon as it lights. How ever. today it didn’t find any fault codes. (The “Check Engine Soon” light is on though, so i know there’s at least one code in there.)

Most gauges seems to work just fine in my HTC Desire HD. But the boost doesent show negative values to good. When i push it to positive value (Boost) it shows correct, compaired with the boost gauge I’ve installed.?

(Oil temp didn’t show either. All other gauges i selected to view show values looking OK.)

I will try the reset tip above, and get back to you.

X40Autotech
on: October 4, 2011 (GMT)

Don’t know why, but today the ELM and my phone was the best of friends.
All works … (almost)

I need to find what gauges will work. So far i only had time to set it up at home. (Doing it in the car will show what sensors are active.)

Now to the reason i bought the ELM and Torque.
The fault codes, and how to reset them?

Here’s the codes that triggers my engine light.

Current Fault Log
——————
P0133: O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0137: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Pending Fault Log
——————
P0133: O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0137: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Historic Fault Log
——————
ECU reports no historic faults

End of report.

I tryed to reset the codes with the engine running, with engine halted, with ignition on/off. Everytime the phone/app reported the codes was reset. How ever, the engine light is still lit. Anf when i run the diagnostics it finds the above codes again..??

Why doesent the light go away?

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 4, 2011 (GMT)

Hm,

It may be a certain procedure that is required to be followed, for example one such procedure is to:

Leave the ignition on (no engine running)
Send the clear fault code command
Then turn the ignition off, wait (about) 3 seconds, then on again.

If the light isn’t extinguishing, then it can be one of 2 things:

* There’s a high fault count on the adapter (ie: the adapter is faulty and not receiving commands correctly) – in this case you should get it replaced.

* The fault is being immediately re-listed in the fault log (however for the 2 faults you have listed, I would expect them not to immediately return)

* There is some procedure for clearing the fault that has to be followed before it will be allowed to clear – this may be manufacturer specific.

If you are using a cheap clone adapter, then its quite possible that the adapter could be faulty. Certainly the fault reading as you’ve described seems intermittent. However, to be absolutely certain, leave the app connected for a few minutes reading sensors, then check the ‘Adapter Status’ screen. If either numbers for ‘Error Count’ are above 0, then it means the adapter is having issues (and means that it’s one of the faulty ones which you ought to get replaced) Faulty adapter will cause all kinds of issues including not being able to pull faults, data, random sensors not working, and 0-60 / HP / Torque / 1/4mile timers not working properly

X40Autotech
on: October 11, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks .

I looked at the adapter page in Torque, and all looks well. Zero errors reported. It is a china clone though.

Other than the fact that i can’t reset the error codes, all works well. It’s pretty fast, comparing with the rew, speedo or boost gauges in the car, the phone updates almost simultaneously.

The only downside i found so far, (Except the fault codes not resetting) is that when i turn the phone 90 degrees to record, the overlaying GPS-map freezes.
But i suspect thats more the phone design than programing isue.
The GPS antenna probobly get’s pointed down and can’t se any satellites in that position..?

Thanks for your help though.

mooosey
on: June 14, 2013 (GMT)

ello. same problem with me, 2000 V70 T5, got the elm adapter and using torque pro. I decided to get this as I had a coil pack go down so i thought it will be handy thing to have.

On 1st use it came up with a coil pack failure (repaired couple weeks earlier)cleared the fault and since then all I get in no codes stored.

I know there should be up to 5 codes stored on there as garage found using his kit, cleared and came back again. Now I’m getting engine service system up but again no faults are showing on Pro.

Markus70
on: January 28, 2018 (GMT)

Ich habe das Problem beim volvo xc60 d4 bj2013 , es sind fehler gespeichert aber torque kann sie nicht finden….

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.

Follow me on twitter