Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
MPD56
Post Re: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
on: March 17, 2014 (GMT)

Thanks Bryce:

Everything helps. I haven’t taken a long drive and it has been so cold here that even after 10 miles the coolant hasn’t reach 160 degrees.

My 6.4 would continue to stay in Regen if I stopped and left it in drive an haven’t learn the method the 6.7L uses yet.

As luck has it, my wife drove my truck (25 miles)yesterday and my DIA went from 494 miles to 334 miles when I started it up. I’m thinking that the PCM counted down while in Regen but didn’t zero because it didn’t complete, but then again I don’t know why it went down 164 miles when she only put 25 miles on the truck?

Thanks again for the input.

Capp777

Your numbers are behaving more like
gpl than a %… suggesting the pid units
are in grams per liter?

Thanks for the timely feedback.

MPD56

Capp777: Thanks again for sticking with us.

The weather and road conditions around here have been just too bad for testing. I’m sorry about the lack of good data, I’m trying to setup things so that when the time comes, I hope to have at least Custom PIDs that will make some sense.

For the soot level I have two PIDs with different units because it seems that two other programs use the same PID number for both. And if I understand you right the equation for Regen Status would be {A:0} to start? I will test for a response soon

Thanks again.

Capp777

Without a response and a way
to confirm which byte is variable “A”…
I would just be guessing and could be
wrong.

I suggest you build a display for
Equation: A, Equation: B, etc… then add
to your logging. The next time your
truck goes into regen according to your
EGTs or gpl? then you can compare to see
which bit changes state at or near that
trigger point.

Once you know the byte and bit you
can build the equation from the info
on my previous post.

Edit:

If gpl? is correct then…

percent (%) ? = ((A*256)+B)*((10^2)/65535)
percent (%) ? = (((A*256)+B)*((10^2)/65535)-1.16)*66.22516556
mg/liter (mg/l) = ((A*256)+B)*((10^5)/65535)
parts/million (ppm) = ((A*256)+B)*((10^5)/65535)

may also work.

I was rereading the OBDII Summary document
for the 6.7 and found a statement about when a
regen is interrupted it will force a regen within the
next 150 miles or if the soot load triggers it first.
(Using the average of last two DIA just before regen
values?).

Maybe 150 miles are subtracted from your average
DIA just before regen value which is then counted
up from there during a subsequent trip?

Later another regen attempt is interrupted again
and the DIA is further reduced by another 150 miles?

All the while soot load continues to trigger regens
when conditions are right?

At some point your regen finally completes which
resets DIA to zero and begins counting up again?

MPD56
on: April 20, 2014 (GMT)

Hey Folks (Capp777). Be viewing the forum every day and have been monitoring custom PIDs that interest me. Haven’t been doing response testing because of the long winter and most of me road trips have been too short to confirm my results.

That said, Capp777 your last post seems to be in the right direction. The custom PID I made for Soot by looking at the gauge that reads from 1 to 2. It seems if the engine doesn’t warm up or reach 500 miles and satisfy other permissive before the gauge reaches 2, a passive regen is active and the DIA gauge goes down 150 miles and the Soot gauge goes down a few decimal points. It seems for now that if the DIA gets near 500 and the soot is above 1.8 the truck will go into active Regen (Show the message) and if I drive to complete it (EGT2 cools down below 1150), the DIA goes to zero and the Soot will show below 1 for a few miles and then go up to 1.2 and start increasing as again. Although a believe the DIA miles are correct, I haven’t did any response testing for Soot and use the values for relative monitoring reasons for now.

AZAutoTeacher
on: May 5, 2014 (GMT)

Greetings everyone. I am pretty new to using the Torque Pro app but already have found to be very powerful for what it is. I have been sharing it with my community of automotive professionals and my students.

It is not a replacement for a good scan tool, but it gives a good preview of info for the customer or tech while driving the vehicle.

I would like to offer my help in anyway possible to verify custom PIDs. I own a VCM II, the Ford Motor Co. dealer scan tool. I also have other scan tools that scan show raw data.

I have not done any research yet to create custom PIDs and doing the calculations. However would like to help as a 6.7L owner and the of other Ford products. I see the value of having more PIDs available for informed customers to view.

There is a list of PIDs I would like to see available for the 6.7L that I current can only see accurately using the VCM II.

Please let me know how I can help.

15+years in the automotive industry. 8+ years teaching automotive technology/repair to high school and college students.

MPD56
on: May 5, 2014 (GMT)

Hi AZAutoTeacher: First Welcome to the Forum:

I’ve been playing around with Torque Pro for a couple of months and it has become an addiction. I can understand that for most people including myself, there is a lot to learn to get more out of this APP.
I have used a VCM II which gives the Parameter ID’s as an acronym where as Torque uses the modules (pcm, tcm) machine address. This makes it hard to cross reference.

Anyway, it is so nice of you to offer your help. I probably have 100 questions to ask you, but I’ll wait till I have my list shorten LOL. If there is anyway I can help you, please let me know. And please post the PIDS you’re interested in, I might have them figured out already?

AZAutoTeacher
on: May 13, 2014 (GMT)

Sorry, I have not posted sooner. I have been busy with end of the school year and helping my high school and college students.

Listed are the PID’s I think would be valuable for customers and technicians to see using Torque. I know some of these have been calculated.

EGT11
EGT12
EGT13
EGT14
EGRT11
DPF Filter Regeneration Status On/Off
DPF Regeneration Distance Average Miles
DPF Distance Since Last Completed Regeneration
Engine Oil Temp.
Low Oil Pressure Switch
VGTDC %
DPF % Load Inferred
Command EGR A Duty Cycle or Position EGR_A_CMD%
Fuel Rail Pressure

I am sure I will have more PIDs to list.

15+years in the automotive industry. 8+ years teaching automotive technology/repair to high school and college students.

MPD56
on: May 13, 2014 (GMT)

I’m glad your back. I have some of the PIDs you listed and when I’m near my information, I’ll post it.

Jim
on: May 25, 2014 (GMT)

Newbie to the Torque Pro app and forums. I am also trying to get my app to show many of the same functions as listed in the last few posts. I have tried reading through the 10 pages of this thread and I am more confused than ever!

Is there some place where the individual Pics are listed, what they monitor, and what information needs to be typed into PID Editor section of the app? I truly don’t understand the equation writing part of the application, and have no interest in trying to figure it out. I was hoping to be able to plug in the info into the app and start monitoring my vehicle functions. I appreciate any help you guys can give a newbie.

MPD56
on: May 26, 2014 (GMT)

I agree that this post is getting a little confusing. I’m thinking of starting a new thread soon that will clear some working PIDs up that I have tested.
In the mean time if you post a few parameters that you want to start with, I’ll try and help. I’m new to this also.

Jim

Thanks. So far I think to start off with these would be helpful.:

EGT. – For the sensor that typically will read the hottest. Likely as close to post-turbo as possible, and even better if there is an EGT sensor pre-turbo.

Turbo Boost

Transmission Temperature

Coolant Temperature

Engine Oil Temperature

I truly appreciate any help you can give me!

Jim

MPD56

Remember I’m not and expert, so below for starters, they are what I believe are close and relative to give me at least an idea. If you find this confusing then let me know and maybe I hope I can explain it a little better. I have made other custom PIDs that I believe are helpful to maybe only me and some I’m still testing. I’ve been doing this for self interest so I most likely have made some typos below?

EGTs. – My 2013 6.7L has 4 EGTs. I monitor EGT12 which is the post catalyst which gives tells me that the truck is in Active Regen if it goes over 1150 degrees.

EGT Post Turbo – EGT 11 –
PID – 22F478
Long Name (used in menus) – Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Post Turbo EGT 11 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – EGT 11
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 100
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – (((B*256)+C)*0.18)-40.0
OBD Header – 7E0

EGT Post SCR/Pre DPF – EGT 12 –
PID – 22F478
Long Name (used in menus) – Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Post SCR/Pre DPF – EGT 12 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – EGT 12
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 100
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – (((D*256)+E)*0.18)-40.0
OBD Header – 7E0
Comment: Alarm set at 1150

EGT Pre DPF – EGT 13 –
PID – 22F478
Long Name (used in menus) – Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Pre DPF – EGT 13 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – EGT 13
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 100
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – (((F*256)+G)*0.18)-40.0
OBD Header – 7E0

EGT Post DPF – EGT 14
PID – 22F478
Long Name (used in menus) – Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Post DPF – EGT 14 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – EGT 14
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value –
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – (((H*256)+I)*0.18)-40.0
OBD Header – 7E0

Boost (Turbo)
PID – 0187
Long Name (used in menus) – Boost 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – Boost
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 40.0
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – psi
Equation – ((((B*256)+C)*0.00393)+2.25)-Baro()
OBD Header – 7E0

Transmission Fluid Temp – TFT
PID – 221e1c
Long Name (used in menus) – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – TFT
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 400.0
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – ((SIGNED(A)*256)+B)*(9/80)+32
OBD Header – 7E1

Engine Coolant Temperature 1
PID – 0105
Long Name (used in menus) – Engine Coolant Temperature ECT 1 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – ECT 1
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 400
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – (A*(9/5))-40
OBD Header –

Engine Oil Temperature – EOT
PID – 22f45c –
Long Name (used in menus) – Engine Oil Temperature Sensor 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – EOT
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 400
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – °F
Equation – A*(9/5)-40
OBD Header – 7E0

FYI: I set some of the Max Values at 400 so that normal readings will show the needle at the top of the gauge which makes it easier for me to just glance at the screen if the needle is at the top of the screen, all is normal. For Example the ECT, EOT and TFT normally run around 200 degrees so that all those gauges should be pointing to the top?

Jim
on: May 27, 2014 (GMT)

Wow! Thanks so much! I got all of them to work except for the Trans temperature and the Coolant Temperature. Do they work for you like this?

You mentioned that you monitor EGT 2 to monitor the regen cycles. Do you have that one? My 6.7 is a 2013 also. What else are you monitoring on yours?

MPD56

Quote from JimBau on May 27, 2014
Wow! Thanks so much! I got all of them to work except for the Trans temperature and the Coolant Temperature. Do they work for you like this?

You mentioned that you monitor EGT 2 to monitor the regen cycles. Do you have that one? My 6.7 is a 2013 also. What else are you monitoring on yours?

Reply From MPD56:
I corrected typos in my above post. I’ll check tomorrow if I have it right. All the PIDS I posted do work on my 6.7L, I’m just not sure if I posted correct information? I think I have about 30 PIDs that are working, I’ll also check that when I have time, if you don’t mind being a test pilot LOL.

One of my typos is that I should’ve typed EGT12 to watch for Regens. I use a Half Dial (meter) that has Maximum and Minimum values and set a Max value alarm at 1150 F on that dial. I also create a graph display beside that dial and set the graph’s Max Value at 1200 so if the graph line goes to the top, I know that I’m in regen. Remember I’m just learning this! I have been testing a Regen Status PID with a On/OFF display but haven’t figure out the equation yet?

MPD56

Quote from JimBau on May 27, 2014

Reply From MPD56

I monitor this for Regens also. I don’t have it all figured out. But when it gets near 500 miles I should get a Active Regen if certain parameters are right, if it doesn’t complete an Active Regen then or performs a Passive Regen the miles go down to about 150 miles. The miles don’t change on the gauge unless the engine is restarted. So when you restart your engine and the miles are lower then you had some sort of a Regen. Hope this makes sense. Also I monitor DPF back pressure and although I don’t have the equation fine tuned, I find it relative for soot load and it seems that when I hit a certain value, i get a passive or active regen depending on the miles since a my last complete Regen? Sorry, Don’t mean to confuse me or you. Like you posted, I’m leaving the math out of it LOL.

DPF Distance Since Last Complete Regen –
PID – 220434 – Seems to be working
Long Name (used in menus) – Distance Since Last Complete Regeneration 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – DIA
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 100
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – Miles
Equation –
Header – 7E0

Sorry for some reason I can’t post the equation? I’ll try this with spaces but don’t enter them in your PID,

((A < 16)+(B < 8)+C)*0.24 Also put 100 in the MAX value to it will work for one of the members.

Capp777

MPD56:

Your TFT header in the list above should
be 7E1.

Edit:

JIM:

There is a standard “Engine Coolant Temperature”
display which uses 0105… but if you created a
custom pid for 0105 you may need 7DF as the
header.

MPD56

Quote from Capp777 on May 27, 2014

MPD56:

Your TFT header in the list above should
be 7E1.

Capp777: Your back!!!!, I was worried about you. I was scared you went to the Jeep side.

Thanks for the correction. I edited it.

Jim

Thanks so much for the updates. Will give them a try tomorrow.

Jim
on: May 29, 2014 (GMT)

Finally had a chance to give them a try. All worked perfectly with the exception of the Engine Coolant Temperature. Not sure what is missing on mine. Here is a screen shot if I can make it work. It didn’t show up, but the PID is 0105

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.

Follow me on twitter