Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Author Topic: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
CoreyMS
Post Re: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
on: August 25, 2015 (GMT)

Yea copy and paste

ridesonsnow
on: November 3, 2016 (GMT)

@gi1gamesh, @Capp777 and @CoreyMS I deleted the DPF/EGR on my 2011 6.7L and have been trying to make that factory sensor work in the exhaust block-off plate. I found this thread and have been reading about the formula you came up with. I put that formula in and pointed to the 22055e pid and it works (as in, shows numbers), but I’m not quite sure about the accuracy. Sitting at a stoplight I’m showing less than 200°F. the highest I get on my 15 min drive home is like 350°F @ 65mph on the frwy6 (~65°F air temp). I know removing the DPF/EGR reduces temps, but that seems like a lot. Does that seem consistent with what you guys are seeing? And does that seem accurate? I can see all the hard work that went into that formula (especially since I know what it took for me to even get to this point trying to figure it out for myself), so I really appreciate the time you spent on it. You are rockstars!

gi1gamesh

@ridesonsnow It’s been awhile since I’ve had torque connected to my truck. I’ll have to hook it back up and see if my values are similar to yours or not.

MPD56

gi1gamesh: Long time no hear!!

Guy over on the Ford forum also wondering about the equation on this PID. He said that the temperature is showing 15000.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 4, 2016 (GMT)

The / operations aren’t enclosed in brackets, so right at the end, you have / X – 237.33 – as the right part of the equation is processed first, it’ll be X-237.33, then the divide is done. (there are a few other divides without backets to control the calc order as well, so the equation may need adjusting)

The parser calculates from the right (irrespective of the type of operation / * – +) first

ridesonsnow
on: November 4, 2016 (GMT)

@gi1gamesh – are you monitoring EGTs some other way now, or just not monitoring them at all?

@MPD56 – That guy on the other forum must have the equation wrong. It worked for me on two different phones with two different adapters.

@piemmm – I didn’t try to go through and balance the parenthesis on paper, but when the app compiles the equation the last operation is = 35.67 + 330.59 – 237.33. Is that wrong, should we be getting some other operation at the very end?

gi1gamesh
on: November 5, 2016 (GMT)

@MPD Hey! it has been a long time.. Good to see you’re still at it. Have you guys been continuing to add to your PID repository?

@ridesonsnow
That final part of the equation looks like what should be executed last. I’m pretty sure I learned from some whacky initial results that I needed lots of parenthesis to make it read correctly in Torque.

I ended up not using anything to monitor after a while. Guess I should have had Torque monitoring the temp and sounding an alarm or something if it went beyond 1600 (Which I recall being somewhat challenging to do). Because unfortunately I probably spent too much time in an overheated state and cooked my turbo. I’ve got a new turbo now that should keep temps lower. I’ll start monitoring things again with the new turbo and see what they look like. It will be interesting to compare to the old turbo.

These are my previously recorded values
Ambient Temp was 56F
212F at startup idle
250 – 300F cruising still warming
450F cruising 35mph engine at temp
1450F+ WOT 0 – 75mph
1500f 0 – 80mph
700F cruising 65 – 70mph

Hopefully I’ll have some time tomorrow to go for a ride and record some more data.

gi1gamesh
on: November 5, 2016 (GMT)

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/z6lOrKHKuImczH636pb1yN7LBS1OXPrsNTMG2aRPfeH

Hopefully you guys can see the charts ok. Looks like the EGT calculation is working well and it also looks like the new turbo is keeping things cooler.

MPD56
on: November 6, 2016 (GMT)

gi1gamesh:

There are always new folks joining in on the Ford forum that keeps me going. also info on changing parameter’s with FORScan for free is interesting. Like enabling Manual Regen, Soot% Screen, low tire pressure alarm set point….etc

When you have time stop by and have a look.

ridesonsnow
on: November 7, 2016 (GMT)

OK, I had some time Sunday to do some scientific testing. I did three different tests with three different tunes…Tow, Street and Race.

1) I kind of tried to replicate the runs you did on the graphs you posted Saturday. (Except, did you run it up to 120MPH!? or is that showing KPH on your graph?) I went from a stop up to ~30MPH under moderate acceleration on the on-ramp then up to 90MPH at WOT. I logged EGT, RPM and Speed.
Here are some charts of the logs.
Tow Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/dKj-ez8vT1C983eIcHXr9w

Street Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/4kbUX825SOetYZtltlZ7yg

Race Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/btg1danXRfqlSghXJ0smPA

2)Second, I set the cruise at 65MPH on a flat stretch and the EGTs settled at 350°F for all three tunes.

3)And last, sitting at idle in Neutral after every run the EGTs settled to about 150°F for all three tunes.

The highest temps I saw were just north of 800°F, nowhere near the 1400°F you maxed out at. After you came back down to a stop you settle just below 400°F, I am @ 150°F.

gi1gamesh

That is MPH. The values you’ve mentioned sound like what you’d get in degrees C. The ones I’m stating are degrees F.

EDIT: FWIW I’m unable to see your graphs when I hit those URLs I get a black screen in Prime photos.

ridesonsnow

You know what…I think you may be right. I’ve been so flustered making sure I got that complex equation exactly right that it didn’t even occur to me that the units might be wrong. Usually I put °C in the UNITS field and Torque makes the conversion, but now that I think about it I may have left that blank, so it wouldn’t know to convert it. Osh, idiot!

ridesonsnow

You’re absolutely right. I converted the recorded values from °C to °F, and the results were much more in-line with the temps you were describing. That’s embarrassing.

I updated the charts with corrected units. See if these links work.
Tow Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/g8taor4jKg0hln6x2jAepW0EDDQ9wBUl5LpRPH2bqaV

Street Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/YkVaavgrWS8a9kar1pXPv5m2MlWRZ0dd10GprSpljPP

Race Tune: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Tyl7KjyHglk4toPvJpcNgtDKMtilyO1dUWmMp75Ekis

That puts my 65MPH cuising temps at 675°F and my idling in N temps at 300°F.

One interesting note. In all three tunes my max temp was 1500°F. It must be set to defuel at that temperature.

gi1gamesh

Those look like what I’d expect. It would be awesome if we could find someone with a pyrometer installed in EGR blockoff location in a 2011 – 2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke truck to record their findings for comparison sake. My truck wouldn’t be so great for comparison any longer because of the new Turbo.

You said you’re running the SCT tuner, right? As far as I know that tuner doesn’t support any de-fueling. Right now the tuner has no idea what the EGT temperature is. SCT also sells a cable and a temp probe that’s made to hook up to the tuner. However, it’s my understanding that even with the probe installed it won’t de-fuel. It only alerts and displays the temp.

MPD56
on: November 8, 2016 (GMT)

Quote from ridesonsnow on November 7, 2016
You’re absolutely right. I converted the recorded values from °C to °F, and the results were much more in-line with the temps you were describing.

One interesting note. In all three tunes my max temp was 1500°F. It must be set to defuel at that temperature.

MPD56 Reply:
I believe that the Sensor can only read up to 1500 degrees.

gi1gamesh
on: November 8, 2016 (GMT)

Last time I tried to find the range of this sensor I found it very difficult not to burn myself while trying to hold a torch and the temp gun targeting the sensor. Which happens to be a rather small target which fluctuates in temp quite rapidly. Whatever you do don’t touch the sensor after heating it with a torch.. (sounds obvious right?) Another thing to be mindful of is that you mount the sensor in a way that you won’t catch your truck on fire with the torch. I vote that ridesonsnow tries it this time. I’d probably stop around 1700 – 1800F. Propane torch is capable of 3600F. It should be easier to test now with the calculations already figured out there’s no need for the temp gun. Should be able to just turn the key on and have torque monitor the sensor while you heat it up.

Hawkertech
on: February 24, 2017 (GMT)

Has there been a change to the PID’s for the ’17 6.7? the I can’t get the DPF% to works.

gi1gamesh
on: March 25, 2017 (GMT)

I haven’t used torque for a while. I Just opened it today and my custom egt equation is all whacky now. Did something change in the equation parser?

Capp777
on: March 25, 2017 (GMT)

Ian has renamed the predefined pids with
[Ford] , [GM], etc. which will effect any
Val{LongName} you might be using.

gi1gamesh
on: March 26, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on March 25, 2017
Ian has renamed the predefined pids with
[Ford] , [GM], etc. which will effect any
Val{LongName} you might be using.

I don’t believe I’m using that?
PID: 22055E
MIN 0
MAX 2000
scale x1
Unit C
(0.0004*(((1164.26*(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285))/(4.98-(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285)))*((1164.26*(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285))/(4.98-(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285)))))+(1.107*((1164.26*(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285))/(4.98-(((256*A)+B)*0.00097285))))-237.33

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.1 seconds.

Follow me on twitter