Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Clone adapters - Currently many that dont' work on CANBUS

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Clone adapters - Currently many that dont' work on CANBUS
L0kiDNaR
Post Re: Clone adapters - Currently many that dont
on: December 15, 2015 (GMT)

So I bought the VGate Elm327 adapter off Amazon and it worked fine with Torque Lite but once I purchased and installed Torque Pro I couldnt get it to work anymore with either pro or lite. Same issue others are getting, it pairs with the device but I get no connection to ECU. I have restarted BT, my phone, and the adapter several times as well as tried every setting I can think of.

I noticed that under status it says connected to OBDII, no connection to ECU, and then it starts counting errors and faults, it stays at 0 errors, but goes to either 10 or 11 faults and then disconnects from the adapter and reconnects. This whole process repeats indefinitely.

I am currently scouring through this site and the wiki for more info but if anyone has had this issue and got it working id love to know what you did.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

That sounds like a faulty adapter (the error counts should always be 0 on properly functioning kit) – it sounds like the adapter has failed (not uncommon for the clones) – in this case its likely the clone elm327 chip is faulty. Torque is noticing it breaking and tries to reconnect to fix the issue, however as it’s hardware related it requires the hardware to be fixed (ie: replacement adapter)

There is a list of adapters on the wiki (linked above) and comments next to them. Not all the clones are bad, but there are so many ebay/amazon vendors it’s impossible for me to keep track (and I’d rather spend time improving the app), so ones like the PLX, OBDLink and OBDKey adapters are generally the most reliable ones (and better constructed!)

L0kiDNaR

It doesnt report any Errors but it does report Faults always goes to 11 then disconnects and reconnects but never reading the ECU. If its faulting out like that but still reporting 0 errors does it still sound like a hardware thing? Or are faults and errors basically the same thing in this case just some technical differences? Also is there any way to read the faults, I noticed there was a debugging mode which I did enable but I was unable to find any other options to view or upload any debugging logs.

I do believe it could be hardware and may just purchase one with a better reputation, the BAFX one has great reviews on Amazon and has been reported as working by some here as well. But the odd thing is it must have literally just broke, because I was able to read the ECU fine with the lite version the day before. Then today I try the pro version and cant read ECU. But then again thats how crappy hardware goes, works until one day it just doesnt.

gemdc99
on: February 20, 2016 (GMT)

I am replying here because I am having similar problem and have been looking on this forum and found this. I have a Veepeak WiFi adapter and first tried Torque Lite yesterday on my 2016 Acura. Worked fine so I thought go ahead and buy the pro version. Installed Pro and it will not connect. Get the same as you, Connected to Adapter but no Connection to ECU. Tried it in my 2014 Lincoln MKZ hybrid and same deal. Works with Lite but Pro won’t connect to ECU. Does it make sense that Lite works OK but Pro won’t connect to ECU? Guess it is adapter / wifi related but ?? I am running on a Nexus 10 tablet. Tried uninstalling Lite and rebooting but Pro still won’t work. Went back and installed Lite and bingo it works just like first time. Anyone have an idea?

2016 Acura RDX Advance trying Torque Pro with WiFi
2018 Genesis G80 Sport (going to try Torque Pro with WiFi adapter)

cintakc

Torque Lite has automatic settings, while the PRO version you need to manually set the settings

gemdc99

Thanks for reply. Yes, I can see Torque Lite trying all the protocols on top line then the car stops blinking. Pro is stuck on saying “Nissan Protocol is in beta”. Maybe I accidentally hit some Nissan setting by mistake but can’t find it in settings. How do I reset Torque Pro back to original settings? Do I have to tell him the correct protocol? Do I uninstall then download again?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

In pro, go and edit the Vehicle Profile.

Scroll down a bit, and you’ll see the protocol settings.

Change this and set it to ‘Automatic – Fast’ and you should then be up and running (don’t forget to save the vehicle profile)\

The ‘Nissan’ protocol that’s currently selected in there isn’t for an OBD2 protocol and is something different entirely specific to nissans with a custom bluetooth adapter

gemdc99

Yes! That worked with the “Veepeak wifi with power button” adapter. I think I accidentally brushed the protocol list and got it set to Nissan when I first set up the vehicle profile. There are sure a bunch of “settings” in Torque. Will need to think a lot to get it all configured. May even demand I get a dedicated cheap Android tablet to leave mounted. First will try to figure out a way to hang my Nexus 10 on dash. No good looking in the passenger seat. Have an Ultragauge on the Lincoln hybrid but Torque can do much more. Thanks again.

gemdc99
on: February 21, 2016 (GMT)

Still confused it turns out. After getting Torque Pro to communicate with the ECU through my wifi adapter, I shut everything down and spent some time setting up displays. When I go back now to connect using the same vehicle profile, it just puts up “cannot connect – check settings”. Puts up only the first blue flag. No car and no time spent looking for the correct protocol. Torque Lite still connects quickly and works fine. What is the trigger to get Pro to scan for the correct protocol? Almost looks like he is searching for a Bluetooth adapter but that is set to “WiFI” in Settings. Is there a way to just delete all my settings and get back to Torque Pro as it comes from the Play Store? I could just change to “WiFi” and let him do what Lite does? Is there any problem having both Lite and Pro on same tablet if they are not running at same time?

gemdc99
on: February 21, 2016 (GMT)

I found my problem with getting Torque Pro to connect to the Veepeak wifi adapter and then to the ECU. Has something to do with killing out all “services” and torque from the Nexus 10 android tablet. I had never gone in their “settings” and displayed all running apps. Even tho I had X’ed out Torque from the background tasks there were still two services plus some vestige of Torque showing in the true Task Manager list. When I kill them out and fire up Torque Pro again, he goes into the fast protocol search rather then just saying “Connecton failed”. Connected and ran a short drive to test with logging turned on. All looks good. This was devious however needing to know more about how the Nexus 10 handles previously run apps. Sorry for the excess posts and misleading symptoms.

chris398
on: June 7, 2016 (GMT)

does anyone know if the ZTE Mobley GSM ODBII hotspot will allow access to ECU through IP?

audi13
on: June 19, 2016 (GMT)

Hi I’m new user, I’m trying to get torque to work, I’m using a vas5054 obd adapter which works with VAS vw software, I’m would like to know if it’s the adapter or software problem, before I purchase another adapter. I got Torque to connect to the adapter through Bluetooth but it does not connect to the ecu.any help would be appreciated..thx

Morpheus
on: August 10, 2016 (GMT)

I bought (2) of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SM8R04Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vehicle(s) they worked on:
2000 Honda Insight
2006 Dodge Ram diesel

Vehicle(s)they didn’t work on:
2003 Dodge Ram diesel

Both adapters worked on the 2000 Honda and 2006 Ram. Neither worked on the 2003 Ram.

Overall, I’m happy with the purchase for what I paid. I do wish it’d work on the 2003 vehicle.

I’m using Torque lite and haven’t upgraded to the Pro version, which I might given it’s only .

Sloppy
on: November 23, 2016 (GMT)

I recently purchased this VeePeak adapter from amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479908556&sr=8-1&keywords=obd+bluetooth

appears to work fine with Torque Pro on my Blackberry Passport connected to my 2017 Kia. And it even has three cute little LEDS in the form of a stop light that wink at you constantly for power, RX and TX is my guess.

LATER EDIT

After about three weeks this little puppy died. Up until then it was working fine.

However, the company has shipped me a replacement and we shall see how it holds up.

r
on: December 5, 2016 (GMT)

I just got 2 mini elm327 adapters from here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400674453831
They came packaged with a mini DVD that included a copy of Torque for both PC and Android, however neither of them seem to pair to my galaxy tablet 3.
I tried them in a 2005 Dodge Durango, both were quite hard to insert all the way.
I know the OBD port works with my Actron scanner and my ScanII gauge, so there is no doubt there.
BTW, I tried various combinations of inserting the adapter BEFORE turning the key on, starting the program first/last, etc.

I will try them later in a 2003 chev duramax truck.

Is anything known “bad” about these ?
(and how/why is a copy of torque included ?)

Claimed version is 1.5

r
on: December 5, 2016 (GMT)

re: my previous post;

Ooops, my bad (wretched newbie that I be).

It turned out that the tablet I was using WILL NOT communicate via blu tooth when in Airplane mode – probably not when connected to my wireless DSL router either.

This seems reasonable, there could be all sorts of problems if one COULD connect to two or more different network types at the same time – so this could be a general issue.

So, now connected to the Durango, on to the Duramax truck next.

Then, to infinity and beyond.

saberider
on: December 13, 2016 (GMT)

What does adapter error count with 0 error, 1 other fault means?

I was able to read real-time information using torque, but I can’t read fault code from it. There is definitely a fault since the check engine light is on.

blown maloo
on: February 3, 2017 (GMT)

Quote from 2kermit on September 17, 2014
Does Torque (Free) need to be uninstalled before the Pro version will function correctly?

no it doesn’t i have an elms327 that only works with lite
(free ) and another kiwi 3 that works with both on one device and not at all on my other device ? both Android ?

Australia FNQ

blown maloo
on: February 7, 2017 (GMT)

i have a low energy kiwi3 that works great on my galexy note 8
with torque pro and shows more pids then the the elms327 i was using

BUT it wont connect to my android S160 have reported to PLX and they are looking in to it but is instantaneous connect with the note 8
so if you cant find the pids you want mybe its the CHEAP dongle
that cant read the high speed ones ?

Australia FNQ

blown maloo
on: February 15, 2017 (GMT)

not all adapters will read the same amount of pids
i have a plx kiwi 3 BT 4 and it reads more pids in torque then the elms327 mini witch i all so have
i have no idea way this is but it is a pain as the (kiwi3 BT4 wont pair to my indash head unit anroid 4.4.4 S160 but works fine with my note 8 android ver 4.2.4 ) but shows the TFT pid in PX ranger that i want to use on the indash unit

Australia FNQ

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.

Follow me on twitter